LD9 oil. Maybe maintenance question - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
LD9 oil. Maybe maintenance question
Friday, June 15, 2012 2:57 PM
We r running a cavalier on a 3/8 mile dirt track. We keep getting a rod knock and are on our third engine. I know the 2.3 oil pump will most likely remedy this. For right now though we were thinkin about changing to synthetic oil or maybe even thicker oil. Just looking for some reccomendations

Re: LD9 oil. Maybe maintenance question
Friday, June 15, 2012 3:30 PM
Friday, June 15, 2012 4:09 PM
If your considering staying on a stock motor I would run extra oil . Being circle track the oil is being force around the pan and might not be getting picked up properly.

Building a motor with a 2.3 oil pump, or a dry sump would be better.

FU Tuning

Friday, June 15, 2012 6:31 PM
2.3 oil pump and clevite 77 bearings are the way to go... Synthetic oil is thinner and will find the leaks quicker...

Saturday, June 16, 2012 7:58 AM
ive wondered this myself.... why cant we say run 5 quarts instead of the 4.5? does it come blowing out the dipstick tube or something?

Come join us over on the Olds Quad 4 and Twin Cam Facebook group!
Saturday, June 16, 2012 8:18 AM
Lucas Oil Additive!!!

But if you can 2.3 oil pump swap...you will love how quick it will rev.

GMR has got nothing on this
Saturday, June 16, 2012 11:27 AM
DOHC_tuner wrote:Lucas Oil Additive!!!

But if you can 2.3 oil pump swap...you will love how quick it will rev.

sorry, but ewww no. no oil additives are needed. that stuff is not good. bob the oil guy proved that

Saturday, June 16, 2012 1:44 PM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:ive wondered this myself.... why cant we say run 5 quarts instead of the 4.5? does it come blowing out the dipstick tube or something?

Just more wear on the parts that have to deal with moving the extra oil.

Saturday, June 16, 2012 2:47 PM
i run seven quarts myself, but thats to get the oil to the full mark on the dipstick...

Sunday, June 17, 2012 9:48 AM
Cruisin4DrCav wrote:
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:ive wondered this myself.... why cant we say run 5 quarts instead of the 4.5? does it come blowing out the dipstick tube or something?

that i can live with. ill go dump an extra half quart in mine right now LOL

and im with vince... why lucas? its basically just really thick oil. why not just run a thicker oil if your going by that theory?

Sunday, June 17, 2012 9:57 AM
I think when dealing with the stock ld9 oiling system running 5 quarts maybe even 5.5 quarts will not have any ill affects.

FU Tuning

Sunday, June 17, 2012 11:12 AM
For a higher mileage engine the clearances become higher and higher til needs a rebuild. I think this Lucas just helps holds it together something like super glue that even a thicker oil will still lack. Pus this helps reduce friction somewhat like a synthetic, yet a lil more sludgy.... I when I say this im not talking about Pennzoil. Lol, stay away. I've talked to a tech that raced engines and he said the Quakerstate engine was really clean and the other Pennzoil engine was sludged
Sunday, June 17, 2012 1:50 PM
one thing i think we can all agree on is everyone loves their oil they use and there will always be stories about the ones they dont.

i use wal-mart super tech in my beretta and it's never been a problem. i have always used valvoline in my quad motors and have never had a problem.

Sunday, June 17, 2012 2:29 PM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:one thing i think we can all agree on is everyone loves their oil they use and there will always be stories about the ones they dont.

i use wal-mart super tech in my beretta and it's never been a problem. i have always used valvoline in my quad motors and have never had a problem.

I can agree with that.

I also think it is important that you stick with 1 oil and of course regular service.

FU Tuning

Sunday, June 17, 2012 3:32 PM
Well we got the engine in and went with synthetic 5w30. We will be going thicker on the first oil change after next week. The car run great, but as with all 3 engines we have put in it, it has a blow by issue still. We were blowing a lot of smoke going into and though the turns so now we run an oil catch can off the oil air seperator to keep it from entering the intake and combustion chamber. That was sufficient until last weekend. Now it is overflowing and getting everywhere and he car smokes. Its mounted on the passenger side and I'm thinking we should try movIng it to the driver side and maybe centrifugal force might slow down the oil travel as well as ne t weeks thicker oil. We started lastnight with 1/2 quart extra oil, but ended up just puking it out of the catch can filter. I guess no more extra oil.

I am new to the dry sump oil pump and only know so much about it. Sounds interesting, but I dont really know whats available for our cars. Looks like time to do a search unless someone can direct me to a good starting point.

We have a couple extra blocks layin around in the gararge, so we were gonna try and see how successful we would be at drilling out the passages for the 2.3 pump swap. I've been wanting to try this for some time now as the oiling system seems to be the weak point in running this engine on the circle track. One thing I have just recently been wondering is does the 2.3 oil pump swap eliminate the balance shafts? I never really thought to question that until now since I am seriously considering trying the swap. I figure that is how it will rev faster without the extra rotational mass.

Brad, you got any bungs left to do the swap?

Sunday, June 17, 2012 3:54 PM
Cruisin4DrCav wrote:

You can fill too much. Once the oil gets up to where the crank counter weights are rotating in it you are reducing power and running the risk of cavitating the oil.

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Sunday, June 17, 2012 7:28 PM
yes, the 2.3 swap removes the balance shafts.

Sunday, June 17, 2012 7:37 PM
DSMskyline wrote:
Cruisin4DrCav wrote:

You can fill too much. Once the oil gets up to where the crank counter weights are rotating in it you are reducing power and running the risk of cavitating the oil.

but of course.

Monday, June 18, 2012 3:36 AM
You could fill a motor with the front timing and cams removed and see how much oil it takes for the crank to come in contact with the oil.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, June 18, 2012 6:50 AM
YOUNG J wrote:Well we got the engine in and went with synthetic 5w30. We will be going thicker on the first oil change after next week. The car run great, but as with all 3 engines we have put in it, it has a blow by issue still. We were blowing a lot of smoke going into and though the turns so now we run an oil catch can off the oil air seperator to keep it from entering the intake and combustion chamber. That was sufficient until last weekend. Now it is overflowing and getting everywhere and he car smokes. Its mounted on the passenger side and I'm thinking we should try movIng it to the driver side and maybe centrifugal force might slow down the oil travel as well as ne t weeks thicker oil. We started lastnight with 1/2 quart extra oil, but ended up just puking it out of the catch can filter. I guess no more extra oil.

I am new to the dry sump oil pump and only know so much about it. Sounds interesting, but I dont really know whats available for our cars. Looks like time to do a search unless someone can direct me to a good starting point.
We have a couple extra blocks layin around in the gararge, so we were gonna try and see how successful we would be at drilling out the passages for the 2.3 pump swap. I've been wanting to try this for some time now as the oiling system seems to be the weak point in running this engine on the circle track. One thing I have just recently been wondering is does the 2.3 oil pump swap eliminate the balance shafts? I never really thought to question that until now since I am seriously considering trying the swap. I figure that is how it will rev faster without the extra rotational mass.

Brad, you got any bungs left to do the swap?

Ask, and you shall receive

http://www.overkillengineeringmotorsports.com/
Monday, June 18, 2012 7:06 AM
bungs left to do the swap? huh? ....what bungs? ....what swap?

Monday, June 18, 2012 6:00 PM
Well, I'm asking. Any information you want to share is more than welcome. I gotta figure out a way to quit spinning bearings on the track. its getting expensive replacing engines every couple races. 8 weeks of racing and we are on our third engine. So yes, hook me up!

Brad, I thought I remember seeing a gp about an adapter to use a different oil pickup with the 2.3 oil pump in order to retain the 2.4 oil pan.

Monday, June 18, 2012 6:47 PM
you could also modify the 2.4 oil pan... having 7 quarts in there is nice...

Monday, June 18, 2012 7:18 PM
well they cant always do that sort of thing in the racing world.

but yes, young j... there is an adapter that does allow the use of a stock pan. pm me for more details on how to get one.

I choose the technology built for land speed records... not the technology built to save on emissions and gas mileage.
Thursday, June 21, 2012 9:51 PM
My LD9 ran 15W50 Mobil one, for 100K.

5 qts.

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search