Exhaust adapter sizes - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Exhaust adapter sizes
Wednesday, June 13, 2012 11:43 AM
I got a 1996 Cavalier 2.2L 5-speed. 196,XXX miles. Bone-stock. Nothing special. The catalytic converter is making a bunch of ruccus, and rattles horribly when i drive. I'm just going to cut it out, and put a straight pipe in place of it. Yes, i know it SHOULD have one for restriction, and the O2 sensor, and that i CAN get a ticket for not having one. But I'm willing to taking that chance.
Anyways, I know stock exhaust is 1-7/8". And the pipe i need is about 2 - 2-1/2 feet. But since the pipe on the car, and the pipe i'm replacing the cat with will be the same size, what size adapters do i get? i know how to put the adapters in and everything the right way, just don't know the exact size adapters i need. Any help?

"If I'm not back in 5 minutes...just wait longer"

Re: Exhaust adapter sizes
Thursday, June 14, 2012 7:09 AM
So, you're going to cut out the cat, put in a bigger diameter tube, then go back down to 1 7/8"? Why?

Secondly, why don't you just crawl under there with a tape measure and adjustable wrench and find out?

I'm not trying to be an ass here, it just seems like you could have had the answer before you even asked the question, and unless you can't wait another month or whatever to afford an actual cat (high flow replacements go for around $60-75 these days), you're making extra work for yourself.

Thursday, June 14, 2012 7:54 AM
Noooo. im putting in place of the cat, another 1-7/8" pipe. so the whole exhaust is the same size. i already have the pipe. So it would only cost me the adapters and exhaust clamps. It's not worth putting a new cat on. Around $10 for parts without a cat vs $60+ for getting a new cat? i think i'll go without a cat on my A-B beater car and save $50+.
But i still havn't gotten an answer as to what size adapters i need. i think i'm just going to bring in my replacement pipe into an auto parts store and find 2 adapters that fit snug inside and outside the pipe.

Thursday, June 14, 2012 3:15 PM
Have a buddy weld up a cheap piece of pipe, even cheaper lol

Thursday, June 14, 2012 6:15 PM
if you have 1 7/8 OD pipe (stock), you need to find a 2" OD pipe to fit over it. as exhaust tubing (most times) is 1/16" wall pipe. 1/16+ 1/16= 1/8. therefore, 2" OD= 1 7/8 ID.

enjoy your CEL.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Thursday, June 14, 2012 6:42 PM
If you have the pipe, why not carry it into the parts store and find the adapter that fits on it? Seems pretty logical to me. Or if you have a piece longer than what's needed, hit up an exhaust shop and have them expand it on both ends. That way you only need 2 clamps. Best bet would be welding but its your car so I really don't care.

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Thursday, June 14, 2012 8:39 PM
DSMskyline wrote:If you have the pipe, why not carry it into the parts store and find the adapter that fits on it? Seems pretty logical to me. Or if you have a piece longer than what's needed, hit up an exhaust shop and have them expand it on both ends. That way you only need 2 clamps. Best bet would be welding but its your car so I really don't care.

also EXTREMELY solid advice.

Thursday, June 14, 2012 9:04 PM
Thursday, June 14, 2012 9:06 PM
or just rip the heat shield off the thing since thats prolly whats rattling..
Thursday, June 14, 2012 9:33 PM
Jordan wrote:or just rip the heat shield off the thing since thats prolly whats rattling..

again, this advice, GOOD.

Friday, June 15, 2012 8:53 AM
Jordan wrote:or just rip the heat shield off the thing since thats prolly whats rattling..

My money's on this.

"In Oldskool we trust"

Friday, June 15, 2012 9:19 AM
Buy new high flow cat, cut out old, sell old for $60-$80. Make profit, buy something else.

Win win win

________________________________________.
Still not low enough for a signature.

Friday, June 15, 2012 4:57 PM
It wasn't the cat cover or the heat shield.(I checked that before i decided i had to cut it out. I always look for the simplest solution first without spending more than i have to, and go on from there) I cut the cat out last night and put in a straight pipe. $0 invested. My cousin had everything i needed. Welded it all up. I shook the cat, and the internals are loose. I suppose i could have cut it out, hollowed it out, and welded it back in. But it's all done now. No more annoying rattle in the exhaust, making my car sound like a POS. (have a performance muffler welded on, it sounds better now)

Friday, June 15, 2012 6:27 PM
ive yet to hear a j-body without a cat not have a raspy sound, especially with a noise maker performance muffler...

Even my Cobalt SS LSJ Muffler has a rasp sound with a hollowed cat, and my motor is fully built... Once i get my tune issues right, i'll replace my gutted cat with a high flow...

Friday, June 15, 2012 9:49 PM
Ohh, it's raspy. Never said it wasn't. I like the sound of it, really throaty. It may be too loud, but if the RPM's are under 2,000, i shouldn't have a problem with cops. If i got a high performance cat, i'd get it for my 1999 Z24, and put the stock one off of that, on this 1996 2.2 cavi(if it would work OK, cause i never understood why quad 4's had a bigger cat, than the 2.2L). But not till i have some play money, as money is very tight right now. I'm not sure what kind of muffler i have, as it came with the car when i got it. Polishes up nice, but it doesn't say anywhere on it as what kind it is. Might end up putting a GOOD cat back on it if i get sick of the loudness. But that doesn't bother me. I don't mind exhaust work.

Saturday, June 16, 2012 1:49 PM
All you have to do now is use spark plug antifoulers to space the rear O2 sensor out and get rid of that check engine light. Still funny how you made such a big deal out of simply straight piping your exhaust.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search