coolant issue.. - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
coolant issue..
Sunday, June 24, 2012 6:25 PM
Just finished rebuilding the motor and I can't keep it at 195* I replaced the thermostat and pump during the build. Any ideas? And what the plug under the coolant resevoir for?

Re: coolant issue..
Sunday, June 24, 2012 6:34 PM
The coolant will never stay at 195* it will always fluctuate. The plug in the coolant Res is for the low coolant sensor, when its low it turn the idiot light on the cluster on.

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Sunday, June 24, 2012 7:23 PM
DSMskyline wrote:The coolant will never stay at 195* it will always fluctuate. The plug in the coolant Res is for the low coolant sensor, when its low it turn the idiot light on the cluster on.

that. all of it. 100% correct.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Sunday, June 24, 2012 8:12 PM
Today it bounced around the red and lately its been hovering at the 3/4 line. One line passed 195*. The electric fan works aswell.
Sunday, June 24, 2012 8:20 PM
Check the temp with a scan tool. Mine runs 180 all day long, but my gage showes it above 200 ib the cluster
Sunday, June 24, 2012 9:17 PM
could you have an air pocket in the system?

Monday, June 25, 2012 8:05 AM
Mystic02VA (GME Chat) wrote:could you have an air pocket in the system?

+1.

For some reason I've had bad experience with j cars and this whole having to burp all the air out of the system thing.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Monday, June 25, 2012 8:43 AM
How would I check for air? And could the thermostat be upside-down?
Monday, June 25, 2012 8:43 AM
SHOoff wrote:

+1.

For some reason I've had bad experience with j cars and this whole having to burp all the air out of the system thing.

Also, ensure your coolant cap is still in one piece. They break into two pieces normally.......

Pic stole from Shawn McKenzie!

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, June 25, 2012 11:22 AM

Also my guess. Happened to me when I changed the pump. These systems are really prone to air pockets. Does your car have that breather on the heater hose? I haven't looked at an LD9 in a long time....

"In Oldskool we trust"
Monday, June 25, 2012 12:21 PM
it cant hurt to toss in a $10 bottle of Water Wetter or some other form of coolant additive either. i use a bottle in my radiator and a bottle in my intercooler/heatexchanger setup. dunno how much it helps but it cant hurt and a lot of higher performance engine builds use it. supposedly knocks temps down from 10-30deg

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.

Monday, June 25, 2012 9:58 PM
Car hit hit the red today... I felt the coolant hose to the head and it was cold. No pressure in it. Same for the bottom hose on the resevoir.
Tuesday, June 26, 2012 5:04 AM
Last time I had to help a buddy or mine with his 2200 after it got a head gasket it was still overheating. Massive air pocket in it.

Try this (you'll need an extra hand from a buddy)

Fill the coolant tank to the mark (i suggest the full HOT mark)
Leave the cap off and have your helper start the car.
If it gets to the hot mark on the gauge shut it off
If the coolant level starts coming up in the tank on it's own, shut it off. (you should see air burp out when this happens)

Repeat the process til you get it to stop overheating.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Tuesday, June 26, 2012 5:12 AM
SHOoff wrote:Last time I had to help a buddy or mine with his 2200 after it got a head gasket it was still overheating. Massive air pocket in it.

Try this (you'll need an extra hand from a buddy)

Fill the coolant tank to the mark (i suggest the full HOT mark)
Leave the cap off and have your helper start the car.
If it gets to the hot mark on the gauge shut it off
If the coolant level starts coming up in the tank on it's own, shut it off. (you should see air burp out when this happens)

Repeat the process til you get it to stop overheating.

Seems to be the easiest way.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Thursday, July 05, 2012 7:43 AM
are you sure your fan is working? is it hitting red if you drive it over say, 50-60mph not sitting in traffic?
when my engine was over heating at idle/traffic: i checked my; coolant fan relay, coolant temperature sensor, coolant fan motor.
turned out i was hitting the red in traffic due to the fan motor being bad. replaced it with a $25 parts store motor and its running cool again. i even replaced my temp sensor just for the f of it since it had so many miles ($25).

stock, getting to the fan is easy. but with a s/c setup..its not nearly as 'fun' lol

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search