98 z24 airbox mod???? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
98 z24 airbox mod????
Sunday, July 01, 2012 8:27 PM
Has anybody done any work to the airbox to let in more air?? If so what has worked well,,,,or should I do a short ram with cone filter.??

Re: 98 z24 airbox mod????
Sunday, July 01, 2012 9:17 PM
Your better off just buying a short ram
Sunday, July 01, 2012 9:23 PM
I was kind of worried about sucking in all of that hot air from under the hood. I have actually seen negative results going to an open element from a modded airbox on a 5.0 mustang.
Sunday, July 01, 2012 9:54 PM
Honestly the difference a intake makes on our cars is negligible at best.....

Do what looks better and throw a short ram on
Monday, July 02, 2012 10:03 AM
I have a short ram but before I had the short ram I had a rksport cold air I didnt like the cold aIr set up the intake wad to long. but too I have a ss hood do the air goes right to my short ram
Monday, July 02, 2012 11:25 AM
Back in my young and dumb days. I did / helped a buddy drill holes in his stock airbox. Ensure it is on the none filter side....so the filter is still filtering the air... It does make the intake a lot loader, but not sure if it make any performance gains. It might actually make more air turbulence in the air path. it does make a interesting sound though.

Buy a short warm air, or a longer cold air that runs into the fender well. There is little difference on our cars.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, July 02, 2012 11:31 AM
Philly D wrote:Honestly the difference a intake makes on our cars is negligible at best.....

Do what looks better and throw a short ram on

This^^

I dynoed my car with unfiltered cold air from the fender well, as well as with a K&N filter directly off the throttle body. The car dynoed the same. This made my decision to give up designing my own CAI, and just keep the filter straight off the TB...

Monday, July 02, 2012 11:33 PM
The only reason i went with a "CAI" this year is to attempt to hopefully clean up the engine bay and to run a larger filter.

Error: Sig not found.

Tuesday, July 03, 2012 5:25 AM
Just curious why no one has suggested removing the bong. As stated before, no intake mods are actually going to give a noticable gain on our engines, especially without significant other mods, but that's a simple free mod that will allow a little more breathing.

To the OP, it's inside the front of the drivers side fender. It removes from the end of the tube going from the filter box to the fender. It's a muffler for your intake. You will hear a little more throttle noise, but not a lot, because you're still going through some tubing, and it will still retain the cold air intake.

Tuesday, July 03, 2012 10:22 AM
Going along the lines of Mr. Quick you can also remove the tuner tube from the black top of the intake system the has two 10mm bolts, and bolts to the Throttle body. It will come out with a flat head screw driver. It is at the opening of the top plastic peice that covers the throttle body, and where the rubber s-tube connects.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, July 03, 2012 11:59 AM
Bob Burr wrote:Has anybody done any work to the airbox to let in more air?? If so what has worked well,,,,or should I do a short ram with cone filter.??

Popular mod back in the day was to remove the intake resonator.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search