Crank/Bearings...300+whp - Page 2 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Crank/Bearings...300+whp
Saturday, June 30, 2012 9:21 PM
Since I drove my car today I thought I would add my pressure readings to this post.

Stock factory LD9, 136400 miles. Oil pressure readings are from the block not the cam tower.

Idle warm (200 degree oil temp) 25psi
2000 RPMs warm (200 degree oil temp) 52-54psi
3000 RPMs warm (200 degree oil temp) 62psi

I only did one WOT pull and never watched the oil pressure.

FU Tuning

Sunday, July 01, 2012 3:31 AM
Hmm thats pretty high. Noticed today when it was 32 degrees celsius (90 fahrenheit) that my pressure was getting down between 10-15psi. Dont see more than 45psi so I would say I have something going on. Either way if its oil pump related or bearing related the motor has to come out again. I may just drive it till it blows, have to wait and see what happens. She still idles as smooth and quiet as it ever has.

Sunday, July 01, 2012 9:33 AM
I'm actually planning to do a oil pump swap/change in the near future. Meaning get a newer melling pump and swap it. I will be doing this in the car by just dropping the oil pan.

FU Tuning

Monday, July 02, 2012 5:01 PM
I'm thinking I am going to switch to some synthetic oil. It may help with the extra heat from the turbo. Oil temps may be getting up there, may install a gauge to see where it is running. Had the car out today, running strong so I'm gonna keep driving it.

Monday, July 02, 2012 5:05 PM
Matthew Jollymore wrote:I'm thinking I am going to switch to some synthetic oil. It may help with the extra heat from the turbo. Oil temps may be getting up there, may install a gauge to see where it is running. Had the car out today, running strong so I'm gonna keep driving it.

I will never not have a oil temp gauge. It is my favorite gauge in my car.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, July 04, 2012 10:12 AM
Talking avout SRT4 cranks would one fit in a ld9 or lgo block? They do have more stroke than the ld9s crank .
Wednesday, July 04, 2012 10:20 AM
Just an FYI, KR will damage crank bearings also....

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Wednesday, July 04, 2012 11:13 AM
Agreed... a poor tune could do it. Here you have an upgraded piston, wrist pin and rod to handle detonation, but all that force has to come down on something at some point.. and that's the bearing.

When I nuked built motor #1 I flattened the living sh!t out of all 4 bearings. The rods were perfectly fine as was the custom billet crank but the bearings looked like they had been chewed up and spit out.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Wednesday, July 04, 2012 11:34 AM
OEM GM bearings all the way IMO.

The crank never touches the bearings anyways, that's what the oil is for, aftermarket or OEM if the crank touches the bearing its finished.

I know this isn't Quad 4 related, but GM ran OEM GM crank bearings and OEM Honda GSR Rod bearings in their 1400hp Ecotec drag cars.

So some food for thought there.

Wednesday, July 04, 2012 11:56 AM
Well all 4 of mine touched due to detonation. haha.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Wednesday, July 04, 2012 12:51 PM
Str4 crank fit in ld9 or lg0 blocks?

Thursday, July 05, 2012 4:55 AM
98grandamld9 wrote:Str4 crank fit in ld9 or lg0 blocks?

Why would you even think it might?

FU Tuning

Thursday, July 05, 2012 7:52 AM
Addicted to meth wrote:

Why would you even think it might?

LOL but they are both 2.4L motors!!!

Thursday, July 05, 2012 6:19 PM
I run a 4g63 mitsubishi crank ...seriously though, no you can't...but it was a good question if you don't know didly about it.....
I think you should have been running synthetic the whole time, just my opinion....and I honestly believe it will bring your pressure up just a pinch, and even if it doesn't...the properties of synthetic oil allow it to "stick" to whatever it touches better, so you'll have the lubrication and viscosity reguardless of the pressure you see....

short story----synthetic oil probably what saved my dads car...3800 series 2--Buick V6....the oil was sludge, and the car was still running, freakin upper intake mani warped and filled with water, the other day it blew out and cylinder 5 filled to the point the motor acted like it was locked up---water doesn't compress for anyone who doesn't know that already---water got in the oil, ect, ect, changed the oil 2 days later and it was sludge, but the car ran good as it ever had, no taps, ticks, knocks, ect...I love synthetic oil but everyone has their own opinion and way of doing things
Friday, July 06, 2012 7:39 AM

the wheels and seats fit, surely the crank does too!

I choose the technology built for land speed records... not the technology built to save on emissions and gas mileage.
Friday, July 06, 2012 11:20 AM
Nice sig Brad LOL

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search