is my intake safe under the fender? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
is my intake safe under the fender?
Thursday, July 12, 2012 11:18 AM
i have a AEM intake system and the filter is right under the fender and i dont have the inner fender guards. theres no splash gaurd to it so how could i prevent hydro-locking? plus it seems my tires hit it when i make a sharp right turn. thanks

Re: is my intake safe under the fender?
Thursday, July 12, 2012 2:07 PM
i've been driving with no splash guards on either side for three years now, no issues. if its rubbing on your tires you need to move it.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Thursday, July 12, 2012 3:48 PM
AEM makes a breather to help dispel water for CAI systems to prevent Hydra-lock...

Friday, July 13, 2012 3:41 AM
I know a guy with an 03 Cobra that had this happen. It was raining real hard, it didn't hydrolock the engine, but the filter did get wet enough that it stopped flowing air through it and stalled out the engine. But yeah, the breather thing is probably the best idea. That or getting the fender liner from a yard and putting back in it.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Friday, July 13, 2012 10:55 AM
well as long as you arent driving through a flash flooded street you should be ok. buuuut....

why dont you have the splash shields in? this irritates the hell out of me when people dont use them. there really is no excuse.. you can find them for cheap on ebay if you dont wanna pay GM price. they dont weigh much and they help keep the bumper from flopping around. not to mention do what they are actually intended to do which is keep the water out of places it shouldnt be. ...surely you dont want water being sprayed all up into your headlight wiring, do you?

I choose the technology built for land speed records... not the technology built to save on emissions and gas mileage.
Friday, July 13, 2012 12:09 PM
I don't get why people get a throw away car and dump money in dealership parts to bring it back to showroom perfect. Because classic?

I let my splash shields rip out on the highway. Probably never get new ones either.

Friday, July 13, 2012 7:17 PM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:well as long as you arent driving through a flash flooded street you should be ok. buuuut....

why dont you have the splash shields in? this irritates the hell out of me when people dont use them. there really is no excuse.. you can find them for cheap on ebay if you dont wanna pay GM price. they dont weigh much and they help keep the bumper from flopping around. not to mention do what they are actually intended to do which is keep the water out of places it shouldnt be. ...surely you dont want water being sprayed all up into your headlight wiring, do you?

I have to agree. I know one guy on here had his eco die on him because his intake was sucking water. He didn't have the splash shields on because he had been swapping the front clip from a parts car and hadn't put them back on yet. For the couple bucks they might cost, its a lot less money than a new motor.

Friday, July 13, 2012 9:34 PM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:well as long as you arent driving through a flash flooded street you should be ok. buuuut....

Body kits... body kits don't exactly line up well with the stock fender liners.

Saturday, July 14, 2012 12:19 AM
Mike wrote:I don't get why people get a throw away car and dump money in dealership parts to bring it back to showroom perfect. Because classic?

I let my splash shields rip out on the highway. Probably never get new ones either.

was that a dig towards me? if so its called pride in my vehicle. just because you think its a "throw away" item doesnt mean someone cant show pride in it. crap i "dumped money" into new gm REAR splash shields for my throw away POS.. that didnt even come with them from the factory...... i must be insane! LOL

i bought a new splash shield for my van... i spose it was a "waste" to try and keep it nice, too...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, July 14, 2012 12:22 AM

I choose the technology built for land speed records... not the technology built to save on emissions and gas mileage.
Saturday, July 14, 2012 12:21 AM
Mystic02VA (GME Chat) wrote:Body kits... body kits don't exactly line up well with the stock fender liners.

no but they are a soft plastic. surely something could be made up or modified.

Monday, July 16, 2012 2:49 AM
those shields are also an integral part of the aero package of the car and could be worth a couple of miles per gallon.

Monday, July 16, 2012 11:34 AM
yeah i wont run mine without them. aerodynamics, and environmental protection comes into play.
its kind of like having it or not having it. theres no benefit to removing it, and only benefits to having it. not to mention its a cleaner look with fender lining.

my intake is in the fender right behind the fog light housing...i suppose i could be sucking up water but i dont drive through large puddles. I have the AEM elbow going from the s/c to the fender, very clean and hasnt given me any problems yet!

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search