Quad 4 intake mani with Twincam flange - Page 2 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Quad 4 intake mani with Twincam flange
Sunday, July 22, 2012 5:07 PM
if your worried about IAT's use nitrous. it cools @!#$ off real fast.

I choose the technology built for land speed records... not the technology built to save on emissions and gas mileage.

Sunday, July 22, 2012 5:26 PM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:if your worried about IAT's use nitrous. it cools @!#$ off real fast.
that also would take the motor out of N/A status...

Sunday, July 22, 2012 5:40 PM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:ive heard phenolic spacers only ward of the heat for so long then it just gets heat soaked anyway. that true?

Phenolic does not transfer heat. The heat from the intake will never transfer to the head with a phenolic spacer inline, but the intake does heat up after a long period so the amount of difference in temp does get smaller the hotter and longer the car runs. Hope that makes sense.

Mark

http://www.overkillengineeringmotorsports.com/
Sunday, July 22, 2012 5:58 PM
ok then if its only gonna be getting hot via ambiant engine bay temps you could either header tape wrap it, or have it thermal barrier coated on the inside to help ward it off.

I choose the technology built for land speed records... not the technology built to save on emissions and gas mileage.
Monday, July 23, 2012 7:56 PM
Quote:

Estimated Wheel Horsepower based similar built engines is between 200-225...

About right for close to 100%VE.

Just seems like a wast of money for 35 more horse power then a $500 built 2.3 Or a little N2O\Boost.

CFM remember

I just must be in love with 458 FT\LBS at the ground with a OE engine.

Wants a bump stick now!*

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Monday, July 23, 2012 8:03 PM
chris, some of the best n/a builds over on quad 4 forums only have a few more whp or a bit faster times versus ld9's and they have bigger cams and or itb's and all kinds of extra ish the LD9 doesnt need.

granted the highest n/a hp record for ANY of the engines ive heard of is out of a bonneville salt flats car at 338hp (engine dyno) and it was a 2.5 stroker with a custom scat billet crank, billet rods, custom 14:1 compression via pistons with massive domes, one hell of a worked over head, tec 3 engine management, custom crane cams, itb's and a whole sleuth of hours on the engine dyno tweaking it.

cant compare with LD9 because there really arent any builds to compare that with. most just do 2.3 parts. the ld9 responds better to 2.3 parts than the actual 2.3 does LOL

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 3:29 PM
Quote:

..? The LD9?

To go through all the work with a over square 2.4, just to get where a stock LG0\W41 is? < That is my point.

So, IF we choose to use a LD9 head AND use a LG0 intake, yes I would weld on a flange.

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 4:17 PM
Taetsch Z-24 wrote:
Quote:

..? The LD9?

To go through all the work with a over square 2.4, just to get where a stock LG0\W41 is? < That is my point.

So, IF we choose to use a LD9 head AND use a LG0 intake, yes I would weld on a flange.

Chris

That would be LD9 or quad family vs EcoTec, and the point is that to get to peak hp with a 2.3 is way more difficult and money/time consuming than with a 2.4
Tuesday, July 24, 2012 4:25 PM
Taetsch Z-24 wrote:
Quote:

..? The LD9?

Chris
uhhhhhhh

this is conflicting...

Quote:

You feel its not worth modding a 2.4 to get where the LG0\W41 is stock. (you do completely ignore that the LD9 can be built to be faster than LG0\W41 cheaper and easier)... So from this I take it that since its not worth modding the 2.4, the easier cheaper route would be the best way to go, even at a cost of a couple WHP (which is your argument, not mine, since i don't feel phenolic costs WHP over a welded flange)

Then you go and say
Quote:

Which is a 180 over your former sentence stating its not worth going through all the work.... but you would go through the work and effort of welding a flange on, verses running a phenolic spacer in line which is considerably easier...

Please be a little more consistent...

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 3:01 PM
lol chris....

the "better" 086 head cracks. constantly. the ld9's does not.... its a fact... period. and yes the LD9 spins bearings... its a fact... period. but last i looked its a hell of a lot easier to find an LD9 crank/rods versus a GOOD 086 head.

and LD9 responds amazingly well to these 2.3 parts. better than the actual engine they were designed for. you cannot deny it.

it doesnt make sense to me to argue which engine is better because when you drop the LG0 or w41 into a j-body by the time you've mixed the ld9 and lg0 together you've got a better engine. it doesnt matter that you have to mod the ld9 because in the long run.. both engines end up about the same. either n/a OR boosted. the proof is in all of the records either here or on quad 4 forums.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, July 25, 2012 3:03 PM

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 6:00 PM
Kyle, re-read the word IF.

Brad, my LD9 never spun a bearing. (lol the kid that got the car from me did throw a rod through the block though). Though my 086 head did crack... more to do with flat top pistons and 12psi with full LG0 PE timing ( and yes, it was faster then my GTO)

Both of you, I would just keep a stock LG0 and boost it. BAM, 350 wheel, 12 sec cavalier.
That is real bang for the buck.

Not doing every little thing to a 2.3/2.4 liter engine... many of you have more in to that then I do my LS7...

To each there own, when it came to modding a little engine I wanted Torque... That's why I went with boost. That was bang for the buck.

I keep my statement
Quote:

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged

Sunday, August 05, 2012 9:39 AM
So who has a flange? Need to get this intake welded.
Sunday, August 05, 2012 4:03 PM
As I said - if you have a venom then you have the flange. Cut it at the runners and weld.

That's the #1 best option for you - otherwise pick up a junked or beat up venom and do the same.

Either way that's the best way to do it.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Sunday, August 05, 2012 5:33 PM
As far as heat soaking the intake by not using the spacer, I never ran a spacer on mine and had the IAT screwed into the manifold. As soon as fresh air started to enter the manifold the IATs dropped to near ambient. I highly doubt the manifold was hot enough to heat the air any measurable amount from the time it passed the IAT sensor till it went into the cylinder.

Monday, August 06, 2012 5:49 AM
SweetnessGT wrote:As I said - if you have a venom then you have the flange. Cut it at the runners and weld.

That's the #1 best option for you - otherwise pick up a junked or beat up venom and do the same.

Either way that's the best way to do it.

-Chris-

lol u say that like it's easy. they aint exactly that "findable"

id like to see someone make the same flange though... that'd be nice.

Monday, August 06, 2012 7:57 AM
Buy the crappy OBX copy of the venom and cut of that flange...

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, August 06, 2012 10:35 AM
wont work. the obx flange is just a flat one like so many have made.

the venom is the one with the channels machined out of it to mimic a stock flange that utilzes the stock gasket and stock pcv system via the port in the head.

this, along with a few other reasons is why the venom owns the OBX.

Monday, August 06, 2012 5:29 PM
mitdr774 wrote:As far as heat soaking the intake by not using the spacer, I never ran a spacer on mine and had the IAT screwed into the manifold. As soon as fresh air started to enter the manifold the IATs dropped to near ambient. I highly doubt the manifold was hot enough to heat the air any measurable amount from the time it passed the IAT sensor till it went into the cylinder.

WOW.. someone else who knows stuff.

I missed you Clyde.

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged

Monday, August 06, 2012 5:37 PM
I still come here a lot but dont post much since picking up the Sonic. Kinda lost interest in the J bodies. May throw a Miller modified HO intake on my 98 though. Not like I can drive the 02 that its still mounted on.

I do try to pass on some of my experiences and what minimal knowledge I still have left about these cars.

Monday, August 06, 2012 5:45 PM
As do I, and more or less get sh!t on for it. WTF do I know anyways right?

Besides, that's more fun.

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged

Thursday, June 20, 2013 3:35 PM
lmfao!

sorry.

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search