Eco has Little to no Compression - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Eco has Little to no Compression
Thursday, July 12, 2012 7:21 PM
Well, seems like the cav is down for the count. The GF drove it to work. It ran fine no issues. She parked it. Came out a few hours later and it wouldnt start. This is what I get......video link below

http://youtu.be/tffbAjwUEpg?hd=1

Timing chain is intact. No slack, Cams spin. Pulled plugs and there ok. Looked at pistons and from what i can see, no marks. Also valvetrain seems to be ok. I have no knocks or grinding. Engine had 80k when i bought it, has been maintained since. Has a little over 100k now. IT just went from a perfect running car to this in a few short hours. The only thing i have done to the engine is change the tensioner as i had some chain play, but that was a little over a month ago. Im pulling the head this weekend, to have a better look but im stumped

Re: Eco has Little to no Compression
Thursday, July 12, 2012 8:47 PM
sounds like your starter isn't kicking out and turning the flywheel... but since you say the cams spin, that rules that out...

it doesn't sound like a no compression start... have you checked to make sure fuel is getting in to the combustion chamber, and have you made sure your coils are firing?

Friday, July 13, 2012 1:20 AM
You might want to get a compression tester and see what it says. They are inexpensive and readily available.
Friday, July 13, 2012 5:06 AM
free rental on them at autozone btw
Friday, July 13, 2012 5:06 AM
Something doesn't sound right but it does sound to be cranking so the starter is kicking out but does sound sick or something. But yes do an actual compression test and come back with results. Need more then a video.
Friday, July 13, 2012 3:23 PM
compression test...

Monday, July 16, 2012 9:37 AM
So heres the verdict. Timing jumped by a mile. bent a few valves but the pistons werent touched. So some head work and new timing set should do it.

http://s463.photobucket.com/albums/qq351/kegraffix/ECO/

Monday, July 16, 2012 5:27 PM
Good time to upgrade to the new timing chain setup too. Glad to hear the pistons weren't touched.

Monday, July 16, 2012 5:49 PM
how do you bend valves without touching pistons? valve guide issues? are you 100% positive the valves are bent and the guides are good. maybe the guide took a poop?

Monday, July 16, 2012 8:10 PM
I wonder what mine will look like.... Hope mine is valves only.

Monday, July 16, 2012 10:21 PM
EvoFire wrote:how do you bend valves without touching pistons? valve guide issues? are you 100% positive the valves are bent and the guides are good. maybe the guide took a poop?

It's not necessarily that the pistons weren't TOUCHED so much as they weren't significantly damaged. I've seen plenty of engines that had timing belts go at low RPM where the valves were bent or broken but no serious damage was done to the head or pistons.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 8:45 AM
^^^^^^^ This.........What i meant was damaged. Of course they touched but not hard enough to damage the piston. we found the chain not sitting on the gear properly. The car had no issues when it was parked. Most likely happened during start up. Chain finally slipped, jumped timing and the piston did its thing.

Thursday, July 19, 2012 9:10 PM
If you need new valve guides I have a set of bronze ones I got from Karo at Car Customs. Would let them go for $75. Bought for $125. I have no use for them. They were misplaced during the build and weren't needed in the end.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search