flex pipes and headers? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
flex pipes and headers?
Wednesday, July 25, 2012 6:40 AM
i saw this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sunfire-Cavalier-LS-2-2L-2200-1995-2002-Exhaust-Header-/130733415987?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ASunfire&hash=item1e70519e33&vxp=mtr< br /> it looks like the downpipe connects directly to the header with no flexpipe like our cars have stock.. so do you really need one?

Re: flex pipes and headers?
Wednesday, July 25, 2012 7:29 AM
I have a connection like that and it leaks. The bolts that hold that knuckle together are spring loaded so in theory it would work...but it doesn't. I also have solid mounts.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, July 25, 2012 8:37 AM
I have a ball joint style header, no springs on flange, motor mounts, no flex joint, fully welded exhaust. No issues 3+ years later. Cant say it will work out like that for everyone

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 8:37 AM
Ball flanges are designed to flex... but I put a flex pipe in anyway, regardless of the fact I had solid mounts a cheap header will crack if its put under any stress at all..

Buy a flex pipe... yes you need one, especially if you dont have solid mounts..

Buildin' n' Boostin for 08' - Alex Richards
Wednesday, July 25, 2012 4:12 PM
i cracked my ron header (cyl 1 runner... one crack near the head, and one crack near the collector) because i did not place flex pipe after it, and i have poly mounts...

i repaired the header, and will install flex pipe on the next build... (i no longer daily drive the car)...

it took over a year of daily driving to crack it.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search