LD9 Cranks: Knife Edging and Weight Reduction! - Page 7 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: LD9 Cranks: Knife Edging and Weight Reduction!
Monday, July 23, 2012 4:10 AM
Actually it changes the micro-structure of the metal. It promotes a more uniform lattice structure in the material. "The Lattice is the correct technical term for micro-structure."

It also relieve stresses in the material from casting and machining. The tighter / more uniform lattice structure also promotes better thermal conductivity and heat transfer of the treated part. In most cases it also allows a better co-efficient of friction, since the item can be polished to a better surface finish.

The item by definition has to become harder, but since you are relieving stresses it is more ductile in most cases.

PJ, you know damn well what I was talking about, stop taking it to the extremes.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Monday, July 23, 2012 4:13 AM

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO

Monday, July 23, 2012 10:49 AM
if they left it at -300 degress than sure it'd be more brittle but when they bring it back up to temp it retains its hardness base. if you heat treat then yes it would become harder but cryotreating is completely different.

this is just the way several places explained it to me, anyway. there are a lot of common misconceptions about cryotreating.

I choose the technology built for land speed records... not the technology built to save on emissions and gas mileage.
Monday, July 23, 2012 11:38 AM
Brad are you agreeing or arguing...

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, July 30, 2012 6:37 PM
Good explanaition. The only reason I didn't do my valves pistons rods and crank was because I ran out of funds. Does this have the same effect on forged aluminum, or aluminum parts?

Monday, July 30, 2012 8:07 PM
its not really NEEDED on anything really jay. plenty have ran ray's cranks without issue... and plenty have ran eagle rods etc without issue.

its only for people like me that are too anal for their own good that want the peace of mind and possible tiny hp gain from it, thats all lol.

I choose the technology built for land speed records... not the technology built to save on emissions and gas mileage.
Monday, July 30, 2012 8:41 PM
After the issue we had witthmy valvesa and such on my last build I think it would have been a good piece of mind knowing. I had strong enough springs and valves to withstand the higher rpms. Oh well I guess this time I took some extra precautions.

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 11:27 AM
lol not even a cryotreated valve will take getting slapped by the piston.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search