2000 Sunfire 2.2L Engine Help - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2000 Sunfire 2.2L Engine Help
Monday, July 23, 2012 9:29 PM
I want to rebuild my 2.2L engine but dont wanna spend alot of money. Want to do it up just a little bit to get a bit more power.

Was wondering where the best place was to get parts and what I should by. Anyone have any ideas?

Re: 2000 Sunfire 2.2L Engine Help
Tuesday, July 31, 2012 12:11 PM
OEM motorsports,turbotech racing,Importperformanceparts.....that should be a pretty good start.
Tuesday, July 31, 2012 12:26 PM
umm to save money EBAY, just buy off actual stores who sell "real" parts, such as arp bolts, weisco pistons, eagle rods, gasket sets, you will save a ton of money over said companies/websites. hmm the 2.2...well I would just get the block reconditioned, bore it maybe .40 and get a higher compression, add intake and 2 1/4" exhaust whole way back, include a bigger cat as well, this will flow more and you can leave the core intact. shave the head and deck the block too, maybe a valve job while your at it, port and polish is just a waist of money if your doing a simple "bump the horsepower build" then felpro master gasket set and re-use as much as you can-like the valves and rods if u decide against spending money on them--honestly I would use the factory rods and just have them cleaned and the journals trued up, and use clevite 77 bearings. honestly I cannot say what it will cost you in perticular but my last simple build--1995 eagle talon esi-2.0L non-turbo, starts at 130hp rated-- I spent 1200 and re-used almost all the valves, the rods, and the crank, and I did siad work i suggested to you, I did all the assembly and whatnot, only cost was parts and machine work...honestly I was happy with it, ended on a dyno in the 170's, it was just a daily highway driver, it looked good, but it wasn't to be a race-car not with that motor, so just a little idea of things for you.
Wednesday, August 01, 2012 1:45 PM
A build of that nature will net you at least a grand. And without a tune you will gain not as much. Plus a talon stock is 120/130 horses on manual trans.With those mods on a 2.2l Cavy without tune your lookin at 125/135 horses.
Tuesday, August 07, 2012 9:31 AM
mike bisbee wrote:OEM motorsports,turbo tech racing,Importperformanceparts.....that should be a pretty good start.

Thanks for the reference!

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Performance Parts For Cavalier, Sunfire, Cobalts and More!!!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search