LD9 interchangeability questions - Page 2 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: LD9 interchangeability questions
Thursday, September 06, 2012 4:21 AM
2KZ wrote:
mitdr774 wrote:
Mystic02VA (GME Chat) wrote:however, since you are 2000, you will need a 00 + Motor.. (or 99 if and only if it came out of a J-body... other 99 LD9s from other vehicles will not work)

If you run a pre 2000 block, you will need to: Remove the EGR, run the 00+ Injectors, run the 00+ 02 sensor, and Heli-coil the knock sensor port (to run the 00+ knock sensor) (However, some of us are thinking the helicoil setup causes the PCM to pick up ghost knock... ).

Also make sure you run the Transmission thats in the car... Clyde is right in the fact that any LD9 transmission will bolt to the engine, and Shawn is right in the fact that only the 00+ transmission will bolt to the car (without having to reweld mounts)

Seeing as how the question pertained to the engine being used the current transmission in the car was a non issue. Any year LD9 will bolt up to it. Technically Shawn was completely incorrect in his statement.

"To your question, your car is a 2000 and the trans will only bolt up to another 2000+ engine, its the best one anyway."

The last part of this is scary too....
the 2000+ trans will mate to any LD9, but will only bolt in a 2000+ j-body, without modifications to the engine bay (mounts)... same deal with pre99 transmissions...

Just keep the transmission that came in the J-body...

Thursday, September 06, 2012 9:31 AM
So just to be 100% sure ...the 2.4 from a 99 malibu will work in my 2000 z with only knock sensor and egr to require any type of modification?

Thursday, September 06, 2012 1:36 PM
Am hoping to go pay for the motor tomorrow assuming i am going to be able to drop it in with only needing to address the EGR and Knock sensor, And use my injectors/...fuel rail as an assembly?O2 sensor, i recently replaced the rear one so will just buy a new front for a 2k.....well wait...ill prolly retain my exhaust manifold anyways so really no issue?..my 02 wont be *removed* from my harness so.... how bout coil assembly /idi cover? Mines kinda ugly and this ones fairly clean so ill just transfer components if i should)

Thursday, October 04, 2012 1:25 PM
Does anybody know if a 96 clutch and flywheel will work fine in a 99?

"If I'm not back in 5 minutes...just wait longer"
Thursday, October 04, 2012 7:32 PM
as long as the flywheel matches the clutch you can use either style in any year quad 4/ld9 configuration. (87-94 quad 4 and 00-02 LD9) and (95 quad 4 and 96-99 LD9).

the 87-94 quad 4 / 00-02 ld9 utlitize a completely flat flywheel
the 95 quad 4 / 96-99 ld9 utilize a flywheel that has steps every couple inches on it.

I choose the technology built for land speed records... not the technology built to save on emissions and gas mileage.
Tuesday, November 13, 2012 6:39 AM
dont know if this helps but i recently replaced my engine block and the car wiring has the small knock sensor but the new block had the large hole.. so i got a bolt drilled and tapped it for the large hole then put my small sensor in it works fine...
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search