2.2 ;ln2 build suggestions - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.2 ;ln2 build suggestions
Tuesday, August 14, 2012 3:18 PM
Im new here and am looking for some suggestions to match my goal. My motor has recently started to knock when cold and seeing as how these things are dirt cheap to maintain I figured id keep the car around and get a builder engine to build up a little. Most of my experience is in LT1s as my weekend driver is a 96 firebird h/c/i yada yada. Im looking for links or suggestions for the following.

Rods: don't have to be forged but from what i understand the stock ones are a weak point so really anything higher quality that will stand a beating
Pistons: same doesn't have to be forged maybe higher compression if possible
intake manifold: any aftermarket ones out there or anyone familiar with porting them on here?
Cam: is custom spec the only option? i don't care about lope only mid to high range power
1.6 rockers: parts numbers? idk the stud size
pushrod length.
Also I have heard something about putting grooves in the crank? something like that, not quite sure

I'm just looking to give it some pep and have a more reliable bottom end then factory. still going to be a dd and get beaten on the commute. from everything i hear the rods and pistons aren't so great from the factory.

any help would be greatly appreciated. i am not familiar with these cars.

96 firebird Lt1 swap, H/C/I, full bolt ons, 6 speed conversion. under construction.
01 cavalier 2.2 clear coat peel, 2 very large dents, rusty rocker panel. etc.

Re: 2.2 ;ln2 build suggestions
Tuesday, August 14, 2012 10:55 PM
I'd suggest having some head work done if your looking for some gains s that will hold you back a bit. If the car is a 3 speed auto I'd suggest going 5 speed or just a stock rebuild on the motor. What year is the ln2? Is it a pre or post 98

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 2:24 PM
I might have a fully built LN2 for sale in the nead future.
Wednesday, August 15, 2012 3:02 PM
I might be interest bobby. and its a 01 ln2 m5. the head will be getting ported aswell

96 firebird Lt1 swap, H/C/I, full bolt ons, 6 speed conversion. under construction.

Thursday, August 16, 2012 7:19 PM
bump. i could really use help gathering info on parts needed or a username of someone who knows a good deal about these motors.

Thursday, August 16, 2012 8:21 PM
Biggest restriction will be the head, eagle makes forged rods fo the motor and crane makes hardened pushrods. Crane alo makes the studs required to run the sbc roller rockers. Most people go with 1.6:1 at the stock rockers are 1.54:1. You can get some parts from turbotechracing.com and if you go turbo you ill have to fab yourown dp and whatnot. There is a turbo mani in the classifides right now for your motor.

As far as tuning goes you can run a mod'd ld9 supercharger reflash on your computer to convert your fueling to speed ensity. Read up and search that in the boost and tuning forums. If you want to make anything over 220-250whp safely look into picking up a racetronix w body pump and harness and you'l be good. You can also add a cranksraper and windage tray assembly frm crankscrapers.com.

That hould be enough random info to get you started, search around there are lots of old threads with good info.

Thursday, August 16, 2012 9:37 PM
as far as the head I have a local friend who will port it as far as he feels comfortable for around 550. also does the engine not come with a windage tray stock? and for the 1.6 rr is any clearance of the valve cover needed? and also what about cam options and valve springs? any shelf cams available? and for a dd idk if id run speed density unless the maf inst capable

Friday, August 17, 2012 1:51 AM
We don't have a maf on these cars, they are alpha n based (rpm and tps). The speed density reflash would only be if you went the boost route. As far as cams go your limited to regrinds. It's been about 8yrs since I was really into my ln2 and iirc on 98+ ln2's you didn't need any clearance added for roller rockers. There is a huge thread on springs, lifters nd other valve train components. I'm not going to throw things out there about it because it's been a long time since I went through that thread.

I just remembered that Patriot pderformance offered ported heads for these motors, and for only a tad more over the cost of the local guy you could have a head ready to just bolt on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, August 17, 2012 1:53 AM

Sunday, August 19, 2012 8:05 AM
Idk if JBP is still around, but thats where my turbo cam was from. It made a massive difference over the stock cam while boosted. I stuck with stock rockers, but 1.6s were in there previously and part of them had to be shaved off so as not to hit the VC. I don't know if these were an old design or not, I was given the head in a damaged position and fixed it, returning the rockers to stock in the process. I just liked how they were self adjusting and I didn't have to deal with adjusting them... That, and my cam had MORE than enough lift, I was weary of spring bind with any more lift. I got my pushrods from Howell automotive I believe. I used stock length for my particular build.

As for the grooves in the crank like you mentioned.... This needs to be done if you intend to rev the piss out of it. The crank needs more oil grooves/passages for high rev applications. I never did this, but planned to if I continued that build. I forget what the crank is safe to rev to in stock form though.

I would upgrade the oil pump to the m98. It's a direct bolt in. If my memory serves me properly (it's been years since I did my build), it's from an earlier model J (2nd gen?) and was removed for economy reasons, but pumps out better volume. I snapped a seized rod just cruising down the highway. I feel it was from lack of lubrication. These are cheap from the autoparts store too.

Im Eco swapped now, but check my registry, I still have my ln2 build in the Cavy's info. Mit give you some ideas on where to get things. Even when I pulled the turbo off it, it was not bad to drive. It didn't have the top end like the Eco on the highway, but it had plenty of torque for city driving. It was still decent to kick around in. I'm sure a cam designed for n/a instead of boost would have been better for it than my turbo cam as well.... But we all know how not so easy those are to change in an LN2. The cam was my favorite mod in that thing... I do recommend you find out or get a custom grind done.

I never ordered from here, but I recall them having a ton of ln2 stuff at one point. http://www.importperformanceparts.net/

Sunday, August 19, 2012 8:10 AM
Oh I almost forgot... Since you're an LT1 guy this is perfect for you... Look into the hybrid lifter mod for the LN2. Basically it involves taking the LT1 lifter springs out of some LT1 lifters... and installing them into the LN2 lifters. These increases their rpm limit. I had this done with mine. Slowolej did this for me, find the threads about this with him and mad jack.... Real good security mod.

Sunday, August 19, 2012 8:38 AM
thanks for the info guys ill be sure to check your build to get some info.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search