plugs... who needs em? At least long reach - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
plugs... who needs em? At least long reach
Wednesday, September 19, 2012 9:53 AM
Has anyone on the forum modified the thread reach on the Ecotec to accept a 19mm thread reach instead of the 25mm?

This is in the Eco build book, and I am getting to the point where the 25mm plugs are going to be costly and hard to find as we are not seeing them used much on future designs, 3/4 reach or 19mm is way more common and cheap.

Re: plugs... who needs em? At least long reach
Friday, September 21, 2012 6:26 AM
Well I guess I will be the first one.

Monday, September 24, 2012 6:40 AM
I looked around a little....your the first.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, September 24, 2012 6:50 AM
So many people doing a few things off the GM race book but not this huh?? HMM..

Monday, September 24, 2012 7:31 AM
I dont even know what this means so I wont.havnt done it!

Monday, September 24, 2012 8:23 PM
How are they hard OR expensive to find? The SRT4s use the same exact plug, just 1 step colder.

I used to get them for like $1.50-$1.75 per plug and replaced them at least monthly, which is less than $100 for a year. Not really a whole lot when you consider how much we've spent on other things.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Tuesday, September 25, 2012 5:05 AM
I need a deal on 3787's lol locally they are $23 each
Tuesday, September 25, 2012 1:10 PM
Built,

I am talking about converting the long reach Ecotec plugs to a standard 3/4 reach plug. I work for a plug manufacturer and we are not developing the long reach plugs in anything in the near future and only offer up to a 8 heat range for the eco and other platforms. Reading in the GM Racebook for the Eco , GM modified the thread reach to take a standard 3/4 reach plug as there are literally 50-60 options then.

Vision,

I get the plugs for free, however there are not many options availble in different heat ranges. And I am so tired of hearing that the SRT plugs are the same, no they are not, they are a different plug in more ways then 1. Also you have to understand how the wasted spark system works and how much of a disadvantage you are at with a nickel alloy plug, bad performance choice.

Philly,

You can order on our distributors site, ngk.com and they are 12 and change a peice.

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 1:22 PM
spark plug city or something like that auto plug city maybe. i got 3787s for 41 bucks shipped for all 4

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 1:33 PM
jason norwood wrote:Built,

I am talking about converting the long reach Ecotec plugs to a standard 3/4 reach plug. I work for a plug manufacturer and we are not developing the long reach plugs in anything in the near future and only offer up to a 8 heat range for the eco and other platforms. Reading in the GM Racebook for the Eco , GM modified the thread reach to take a standard 3/4 reach plug as there are literally 50-60 options then.

so is the head getting machined and tapped to have less material on top so the plugs actually sit lower? or is the bottom of the head getting machined to have a bigger combustion chamber but at the same time taking material out around where the spark plug would stick through?

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 2:19 PM
I will use a bridgeport and mill the existing thread down from the top of the head and use my time-sert seat cutter for the gasket seat.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search