Timing issue?... - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Timing issue?...
Sunday, September 16, 2012 7:37 PM
could anyone, anyone at all help me please. just rebuilt my 97 quad that needed new bearings, thought since i had an extra cam laying around id go for the slappy cam swap. it runs and even has decent power above 2,000rpm but its loading up. i read the CEL it had random cyl misfire and cam sensor reading incorrect. it doesnt have a downstream 02 sensor, and has an exaust off a 2000 (no egr) could anyone chime in and tell me where to go with this or if theyve did the swap possibly even get me a pic of the correct location of the exaust cam just so i know for sure its not something else before i start throwing cash at it..

Re: Timing issue?...
Sunday, September 16, 2012 9:29 PM
slappy cam swap? Do you mean Secret cam swap?

in the case of secret cam, sounds like you could be off a tooth... did you reuse your old chain??? they do stretch over time, and its best to replace the chain and tensioner whenever you remove the timing chain that has considerable miles on it.

Monday, September 17, 2012 8:43 AM
well the correct location of the CAM is wherever its at when you put the stop pin in the cam gear to hold it in place to time everything.

as for this loading up situation... what do the plugs tell you? are they all black and sooty?

I choose the technology built for land speed records... not the technology built to save on emissions and gas mileage.
Monday, September 17, 2012 2:11 PM
no guys, he is talking about the "slappy cam" in which is the 2.4 intake cam on the exhaust side as well.

whitey
Monday, September 17, 2012 6:19 PM
Josh Mcneil wrote:no guys, he is talking about the "slappy cam" in which is the 2.4 intake cam on the exhaust side as well.
why would anyone want to do that?

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 12:44 PM
Mystic02VA (GME Chat) wrote:
Josh Mcneil wrote:no guys, he is talking about the "slappy cam" in which is the 2.4 intake cam on the exhaust side as well.
why would anyone want to do that?

you do this so the exhaust is not as restricted. the intake cam has a little bigger lift and duration to let it flow more.

whitey
Wednesday, September 19, 2012 4:30 PM
eh... 1) the 95 intake cam is bigger than the stock 2.4 intake cam, and 2) HO Exhaust cams and towers are still pretty easy to come by, and they are much bigger than the stock 2.4 intake cam...

for the minimal gain, IMHO its not worth swapping a 2.4 intake cam in to a 2.4 exhaust cam housing..... hell secret cams give minimal gains, and they are bigger.

Friday, September 28, 2012 8:20 AM
dont mean to thread jack, but can i buy timing "pins" to locate the timing and where can i buy them? i just did the cam carrier gaskets and forgot to "tension" the chain tensioner (idiot) so i gotta go back in for that. but its been running i wanna say "rougher" since ive redone the timing i guess. it seems could be all in my head tho... you cant be off a full tooth and the motor still be good right? i thought timing had to be perfect.

click sig for my car audio videos
Saturday, September 29, 2012 12:46 PM
Pretty sure you just use like 8mm bolts through the cam gear into the housing to line them up

Have a nice day.
Saturday, September 29, 2012 9:30 PM
Anton Miller (PPC) wrote:dont mean to thread jack, but can i buy timing "pins" to locate the timing and where can i buy them? i just did the cam carrier gaskets and forgot to "tension" the chain tensioner (idiot) so i gotta go back in for that. but its been running i wanna say "rougher" since ive redone the timing i guess. it seems could be all in my head tho... you cant be off a full tooth and the motor still be good right? i thought timing had to be perfect.
the general rule of thumb is to replace the tensioner whenever you pull the chain... (this is within reason... 40k+ miles should be the interval if the chain gets pulled more often)... Also make sure the existing chain has not stretched... I've seen them stretch after only 40k miles...

You can have your timing off a tooth and it will run... but it will horribly...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search