wanting to upgrade my exhaust - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
wanting to upgrade my exhaust
Wednesday, October 03, 2012 1:48 PM
so i have a stock exhaust system in my car. i know this is going to sound ricer but i really like that fast and furious type sound and not knowing much about exhaust i dont know what is required in order to get that sound. i would really like to keep the stock pipe and cat. so i can keep price down. please let me know what type of muffler i would need and maybe even a brand. thank you in advance.

Re: wanting to upgrade my exhaust
Wednesday, October 03, 2012 2:06 PM
this is the type sound i'm looking for.

Wednesday, October 03, 2012 4:51 PM
if you are looking for cheap ricer noise without any performance... chop off the muffler, weld in a 2.25" pipe with a chrome tip at the end of it...

However, noise is not an upgrade... a well planned out exhaust from header back is an upgrade.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, October 03, 2012 4:52 PM

Wednesday, October 03, 2012 5:02 PM
My money says that civic is stock save for the cherry bomb... it (for a 1.x) dose not sound that bad.

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Friday, October 05, 2012 10:20 AM
When I was into noise and nothing else back in the day.... It actually didn't sound horrible with a stock system all the way back and a 35 dollar round can at the end. Something like this: Clicky. It will go bad after a few years, but it's 35 bucks so just keep buying them if you like them. By bad I mean it will rust and blow all the packing out the back of the muffler.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Friday, October 05, 2012 5:28 PM
Hush powerII

see ya!

Friday, October 05, 2012 8:08 PM
i had planned to use a hush power II for a resinator, but it didn't fit with my cutout...

Monday, October 29, 2012 8:02 PM
Aaron Ruark wrote:so i have a stock exhaust system in my car. i know this is going to sound ricer but i really like that fast and furious type sound and not knowing much about exhaust i dont know what is required in order to get that sound. i would really like to keep the stock pipe and cat. so i can keep price down. please let me know what type of muffler i would need and maybe even a brand. thank you in advance.

If you just want a change in sound just swap out the muffler for something else. However, even if you buy the same Cherry Bomb as the Civic in that video, it won't sound the same purely because Cavaliers don't use Honda engines.

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 12:30 AM
Kody LaGreca wrote:
Aaron Ruark wrote:so i have a stock exhaust system in my car. i know this is going to sound ricer but i really like that fast and furious type sound and not knowing much about exhaust i dont know what is required in order to get that sound. i would really like to keep the stock pipe and cat. so i can keep price down. please let me know what type of muffler i would need and maybe even a brand. thank you in advance.

If you just want a change in sound just swap out the muffler for something else. However, even if you buy the same Cherry Bomb as the Civic in that video, it won't sound the same purely because Cavaliers don't use Honda engines.

true enough... but to the op if you want the loud raspy "pull me over" sound, get rid of the stock muffler and either straight pipe it or put on the cheapest grapefruit launcher you can find.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Thursday, November 01, 2012 12:55 AM
Back in the day when I wanted sound, I just had the shop remove the muffler and put on a straight pipe with whatever tip I liked. I did that to an old Corsica 3.1L, and a Del Sol. Both sounded much deeper than they would have with a "cherry bomb" type muffler, and without the raspiness.

A little loud, but I didn't think they were ridiculously loud. I enjoy car sounds though, so I may be biased. I did the same to a Talon turbo and it was actually not very loud at all, in comparison (I assume the exhaust side of the turbine helped muffle the noise).
Friday, November 02, 2012 1:43 AM
jasen wrote:...I did the same to a Talon turbo and it was actually not very loud at all, in comparison (I assume the exhaust side of the turbine helped muffle the noise).

You are correct, sir!

Go beyond the "bolt-on".

Friday, November 02, 2012 5:39 PM
I had a 3A Racing muffler that sounded awesome. Besides being annoying and droning me to death on a trip to Orlando, it was great

Sunday, November 04, 2012 10:17 AM
I'm actually going to throw a Flowmaster Super 44 on my 2200 soon for @!#$s and gigs - I'll post a video of the sound.

OP - A muffler will change the tone of the car, there are chambered and straight-through mufflers available. Look for something with 1-7/8ths inch inlet/outlet, or close to that (nothing smaller). There are a few Cavalier exhaust videos on YouTube, but make sure you're watching a video for the correct motor your car has. No amount of exhaust work in the world will make your Cavalier sound like a Nissan RB-series engine, just because they're different motors.

Borla, Magnaflow, and Flowmaster make good products IMO.

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 11:18 PM
^^^Nissan engines sound amazing with even a cheap catback. Had a 240 with a KA
I am running a 2-1/4" catback with a Cherry bomb turbo muffler. Doesnt sound bad aside from a damned exhaust leak...My Honda had an apexi and even it sounded ricey. Goes to show high dollar doesnt ALWAYS mean great sound
Sunday, December 09, 2012 6:04 PM
A cheap Ebay catback with the giant slash cut tip mufflers would probably work well for you. It should sound like a crazy pissed off pile of bees.

If you don't like the noise after a while, cut off that muffler and use a quality construction muffler in it's place. Or just add a resonator and quiet it down a little. I found a simple cherry bomb glasspack really helped out my civic when I ran header, 2.25" pipe, no cat and a 14" magnaflow muffler.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
1995 Corsica and a bunch of trucks too...
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search