Timing and Balancer Chain R&R - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Timing and Balancer Chain R&R
Friday, October 19, 2012 7:31 PM
Hello,

I just read the information posted in regards to replacing the timing chain on the Ecotec 2.0 engine.

First, thanks for putting that information out there. Really helpful with the pictures and all.
I have one concern and I just wanted to run this by you guys to make sure I have it all aligned correctly before I start the engine.

My wife's car is a 2004 SAAB 9-3 Convertible. Balance chain tensioner was off course broken like on many of these engines and it vibrated like crazy.

I ordered the parts suggested for an Ecotec 2.0 liter engine:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/150898878739?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
with the Camshaft Sprockets KeyWays, on the cam's, NOT the SAAB sprockets without the keyways, and started taking it apart. Following the WIS Workshop manual, it called for:
"Zero the engine by turning the crankshaft in the direction of engine rotation until the mark on the crankshaft pulley agrees with the mark on the timing cover. THE CAMS on Cylinder 1 intake AND exhaust camshaft MUST be pointing In and UP...

So I did just that and confirmed it put cylinder no 1 at TDC. At this point, the Crank Key was at 12 o'clock and the Cam drive "dot" on the crankshaft sprocket was at 5 o'clock.

I then removed the old timing chain and it's other components, in order to get in to the Balancer Shaft area.

I put on the new Balance Shaft Chain, starting at the crankshaft sprocket, then spun both balance shaft sprockets so that they aligned with the marks on the chain. (ie: Exhaust sprocket at 6 o'clock and Intake at 12 o'clock)
I then installed the Chain Guide Rails and all looked good...

Time to tackle the Camshaft components. I started with installing the Cam Shaft Chain at the 5 o'clock tooth on the Crank sprocket.

Next, I tried to install the mark on the chain to the Diamond mark tooth on the INTAKE Cam Sprocket and here is where it got confusing...

With both cams pointing INWARDS and UP, as per the SAAB WIS Manual, the INTAKE Cam Sprocket Diamond would not line up when installed in to the keyway.... but when I spun the sprocket in the cam shaft to see when the keyways would fit... it turned out that the intake cam now lined up with the triangle exhaust mark, not the diamond.

So I thought for fun, I would put the Exhaust cam sprocket on the exhaust cam and sure enough, when the sprocket was fitted in the key, it now lined up with the Intake Diamond. so both cams seamed to be opposite and off.

WITHOUT moving the Crankshaft, I spun both cams until respective Cam Sprockets fit in the keyways and the chain marks lined up at 10 and 2 o'clock position. However, neither cams are pointing Inward and Up, more towards the outside, but they have not started to compress the valves.

I spun the engine by hand for about 10 turns and did not feel any binding or anything catching,

My question is, did I do this correctly or am I 180 degree off when I turned the cams to make them fit the keys?

COBA

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search