Fiberglass Intake - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Fiberglass Intake
Monday, October 22, 2012 12:05 PM
Okay i have done quite a bite of work with fiberglass and im in need of a good intake but cant go spend a few hundred $$ on a CAI or short ram so i thought id try and make one i know heat wont be an issue. i have a 2004 cavalier ls sport. i know im gonna need to make it strong enough so it wont crack or break or have anything like rocks blast their way through. thinking reinforcing it with some steel mesh in between layers. I'll make up some designs and post them sometime in the near future. looking for constructive criticism. give me some ideas and concerns and stuff like that.. im not worried about hydro-lock cuz i dont drive it in really bad weather but i dont want to have to worry too much about it if i get caught out in bad rain or anything. and ill get some hp and torque numbers before and after....now just so you all know i have a rigged crappy CAI routed down in my fender but i dont like how it looks in the engine bay.

Re: Fiberglass Intake
Monday, October 22, 2012 12:51 PM
eBay intake and a K&N filter...

This has been covered numerous times. You're welcome to waste your time fabbing everything but the cost will even out when you figure in your time and effort.

You won't notice a difference with just an intake besides a different sound so grab a nice shiny pipe and enjoy the new look of your engine bay.

Monday, October 22, 2012 3:27 PM
well i already have a ton of fiberglass left over from fixing my bumpers and some other projects and i know theres not much difference its just im sick of my crappy set up and just want something that looks nicer with almost no cost and since i have all this left over fg i might as well try it. and just wanted to know if there would be anything to watch out for like any real dangers i know if it breaks or flakes off anywhere inside im basically eff'd so ill just make sure its solid and smooth on the inside and fully cleaned out but thanks for the input much appreciated. its not the only thing on the car anyway its just helping it breath a little better. but any input on the breather hose thing that connects to the stock intake im deff not happy with the breather filter
Tuesday, October 23, 2012 7:40 PM
You're going to build a tube of of F/G?

I second the cheap ebay intake. In the long run, you're going to end up building it, changing it, repairing it, then getting fed up with it and buying one anyways. Take it from someone who's been there and done that kind of stuff.....

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 10:56 AM
just gonna see if it works...and maybe one day when i have the extra cash ill use that design and get it made from aluminum or carbon fiber I've got the time and the supplies so no money involved and hey who knows it may come out pretty well maybe not for a long term thing but until i get more money to be made from better material...id have to make up some drawings to show what im thinking its not just a tube i'm thinking a little outside the box here just to see what happens...im no ricer and not new to bolt on mods or new to cars at all just thought id see if this might be an option..
Wednesday, October 24, 2012 2:47 PM
not worth the risk of it breaking and ending up inside your engine in my opinion!
Wednesday, October 24, 2012 3:16 PM
kyle zorn wrote:just gonna see if it works...and maybe one day when i have the extra cash ill use that design and get it made from aluminum or carbon fiber I've got the time and the supplies so no money involved and hey who knows it may come out pretty well maybe not for a long term thing but until i get more money to be made from better material...id have to make up some drawings to show what im thinking its not just a tube i'm thinking a little outside the box here just to see what happens...im no ricer and not new to bolt on mods or new to cars at all just thought id see if this might be an option..

At the end of the day you have to realize that any intake of any design on our cars will do pretty much nothing. Maybe gain 2 or 3 hp and it'll be noisier. THAT'S IT!!!

An intake is not something you have to prototype and send to a place and have built. Its a pipe and filter and nothing you can do will change the outcome. Im ll for making my own things and commend you on that but for this jut believe everyone its not worth the hassle. I know they make a nice carbon intake for the Honda guys....it looks see but for ours just get a cheapie and a decent filter and call it done. Your efforts will be better off put somewhere else.
Wednesday, October 24, 2012 6:41 PM
alright ill look for a different thing to use up my fg...thanks for the input guys guess ill just keep my crappy looking setup for now till i can get a nicer looking one...now my issue with the breather filter i can just drill a hole in the intake tube and put a fitting in there and route a hose to it right?
Thursday, October 25, 2012 5:46 AM
Correct
Thursday, October 25, 2012 6:32 AM
ok thanks ill start thinking about doing some other fg project then...maybe some interior parts cuz i hate the bluish interior color. new dash probably. maybe a hood...have to see if i have enough fg though i doubt it "/ but yeah thanks for talking me out of the intake.
Thursday, October 25, 2012 3:53 PM
What's stopping you from cleaning up your current intake?

And if you don't have the money to do things correctly, save up until you can. Trust me, been there done that

Thursday, November 01, 2012 9:59 AM
i cleaned my current intake up quite a bit now im semi happy with it but the throttle response is way better now...but my breather filter is still in but spitting oil...i dont wanna hook it up to the intake if thatll be going into my engine...any idea how to solve that problem?
Tuesday, November 13, 2012 10:37 AM
oil catch can. easy and cheap kits from ebay. comes in whatever color you want. I have one on mine. easiest install ever.

"Is that your exhaust or is that the sound of someone deflating a cat?"
Tuesday, November 13, 2012 2:58 PM
Rob E wrote:oil catch can. easy and cheap kits from ebay. comes in whatever color you want. I have one on mine. easiest install ever.

x2

And fiberglass materials are cheap if you buy them in bulk. If you plan on doing anything big, avoid Autozone and hit up Google.

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 6:48 PM
if you really wanna mess with FG, look into picking up cracked or trashed dashes. People are always cracking those and if you can custom fab one cheap after enough practice, you could make a few bucks selling them. I know Ive considered dropping the $100+ on a dash with 2 gauge pods fabricated right in them since I dont wanna mount anything in my vents. I also have an idea about the top of the dash area like the 350Z's sort of, but i dont have FG experience. Gotta start somewhere though, right?

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Wednesday, November 14, 2012 8:40 AM
well i've worked alot with fiberglass and im pretty sure i can fab up a dash no problem. and i think ill go look up some catch cans...but it shouldnt be doing that though ill check my pcv vent hole under the manifold to see if thats clogged
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search