Needing some advice on HP numbers. - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Needing some advice on HP numbers.
Thursday, October 25, 2012 3:02 PM
Hey guys. I have a 01 sunfire 2200 5 speed. And I was wondering if anyone has this setup, and knows what kind of horsepower its making. A simple short ram intake, a header, 2.25 exhaust, 22 inch glass pack, E3 spark plugs and new wires. I'm also running full synthetic oil and synthetic lucas additive. How much of a gain would I be looking at? Because I'm getting ready to spend the money on the setup. My guess would be around 20 extra horses, but I thought I would get a second opinion from someone who has done it. Were you satisfied with the gain for the money? I'm not looking to throw a turbo or anything like that on it. Just looking to gain some mild performance and economy out of my daily driver.

Re: Needing some advice on HP numbers.
Thursday, October 25, 2012 3:52 PM
20 is being really optimistic. You need to do head work to get anything really noticeable.

I have the same setup except I have a CAI and a P&P head. It's peppier getting through traffic but that could also be because I replaced my 150k mile engine with a 22k mile one lol.

Grab a NOS Sniper Kit and all the accessories for ~$500 and you'll get instant gratification.

Thursday, October 25, 2012 11:09 PM
For economy sake, what aerodynamic mods have you done thus-far? A slightly-lower ride height & spun-disc wheel-covers go a long-way in stretching fuel.

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Friday, October 26, 2012 1:16 AM
Honestly, you'd barely notice much if anything but noise. I had an 01 2200 5spd and of all the mods I'd done suspension is where it's at, unless you get some headwork, rockers ,cam with a tune or go turbo Suspension will net you more fun on the daily grind in traffic.

Friday, October 26, 2012 3:37 AM
that exhaust is overkill for a stock LN2 engine... build the head, put a bigger cam in the block. Make the engine pump more air through that exhaust to get your velocity back up to spec.

Saturday, October 27, 2012 8:18 AM
Ok, thanks alot for the advice guys. How big of a cam can I go with without having to get a tune? Here in WV we dont have many places available like that around. To CRUSIN4DRCAV: You know.. I thought about giving NOS a try, but you see.... NOS is like a hot girl with STD's you wanna hit it, but your afraid of the consequences.
Saturday, October 27, 2012 5:48 PM
Search cam regrind and you'll find all the info you need for a low cost mild cam upgrade. As far as nitrous, I learned everything from the nitrous oxide forum.

It's very simple to install and use. The stigma that it destroys engines is BS, it's stupidity that causes all the horror stories.

Sunday, November 04, 2012 10:42 AM
Cruisin4DrCav wrote:Search cam regrind and you'll find all the info you need for a low cost mild cam upgrade. As far as nitrous, I learned everything from the nitrous oxide forum.

It's very simple to install and use. The stigma that it destroys engines is BS, it's stupidity that causes all the horror stories.[/quote]

This. The nitrous FAQs are very useful. I'm actually planning on getting a 50-shot of nitrous.

Sunday, November 04, 2012 1:08 PM
Agreed. The horror stories are from people that don't use nitrous correctly.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search