Air flow reducer? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Air flow reducer?
Saturday, October 27, 2012 9:56 AM
I was taking the valve cover off on my 1999 Sunfire 2200 today and in the process removed the air intake tube that goes from the filter box to the plenum (I guess that's what it's called) that directs air into the throttle body. Inside that tube there was a cylindrical tube that appeared to reduce the diameter of the air deliver tube. If I remove it, will it see any increase in air flow? Or is it in there to smooth out the air flow from the corregated tube? The vehicle is not currenlty running, so I can't judge at the moment.

Has anyone pulled this out?

Re: Air flow reducer?
Saturday, October 27, 2012 12:09 PM
You wont notice any difference either way.
Saturday, October 27, 2012 12:45 PM
It's probably to keep air velocity up to increase low rpm torque, after all, these are economy cars.

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Saturday, October 27, 2012 3:30 PM
Holy intake bong Batman!! That's a mod that was popular literally a decade ago.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Saturday, October 27, 2012 7:10 PM
Nah the bong was the part in the fender.

He is talking about this weird sliding piece of plastic tubing inside the intake box that says 2200

Never understood what it was there for.
Friday, November 02, 2012 1:55 AM
My '99 LN2'd truck has that same odd piece... I imagine it's there for noise-reduction, nothing more. I too removed it & saw no real difference. Now, maybe if I fabbed-up a FAI--like I had on my '85, only better--then I'd see something while in-motion. Lord-knows the more air you can get into the tract initially, the better it'll run!

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Friday, November 02, 2012 5:16 PM
Its called a tuner tube. It is in there to lower noise. Remove it.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Friday, November 02, 2012 5:23 PM
-MD- Enforcer wrote:Its called a tuner tube. It is in there to lower noise. Remove it.

/thread

Friday, November 02, 2012 8:03 PM
just get a 20 dollar intake off of ebay and remove all of those noise filters snorkels and big ugly plastic pieces

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search