ld9 engine build help - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
ld9 engine build help
Sunday, October 28, 2012 7:16 PM
hello i have a 2002 cavalier z24 want to turbo it later on so here is my ideas

1. forged pistons and good rods(unsure of brand any opinions would be nice)

2. ported head with stock valves back cut (maybe aftermarket valves we will see)

3.well thats about all i got right now lol

So as you can see i need some help with my progress and what i should be looking for as far as parts.
also wondering what the stock z24 transmission is good for as far as hp hoping to get 250-300 hp any help or opinions would be awesome thanks

Re: ld9 engine build help
Sunday, October 28, 2012 7:28 PM
1. Off the top of my head Wiseco, Diamond and JE all have made pistons for the motor. For rods your only option is Eagle, Mark at OEM(http://www.overkillengineeringmotorsports.com) might have a set of the Crower rods still.
2. Not sure what you mean by cutting back the stock valves, plenty of places sell SS valves in either stock or 1mm over sizes.
3. Trans if your trans is a manual you will probably have to upgrade the clutch, the auto trans should hold your goals fine.

I would suggest you look into the secret cams to help the motor breath a little but these mods, the right turbo setup and tune should get your power goals.

Also, fill out your profile so we have a better idea of what your running.

PSN ID: Phatchance249

Monday, October 29, 2012 2:57 AM
For the valves, do you mean a 3 angle valve job? If so, then yes that's a good idea. Eagle rods are easy to find and fairly inexpensive. Be sure to check out the classifieds on here for stuff. Not that it's necessarily needed to reach your power goals, but doing the 2.3 oil pump swap would be worth it. Especially if you decide you want to make more power later on. Of coarse, you'll need bigger injectors and I'd suggest a racetronix fuel pump to go with them (get the harness too). Definately look into cams as well, although they're not needed for your power goals. Also, a bored out throttle body will help support more airflow. You'll be able to tune with HP Tuners since it's a 2002, so you're good there. I've heard of stock LD9's plus a turbo and great tune will get you to your hp goals though. Good luck and have fun with it.

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Monday, October 29, 2012 5:52 AM
by back cut im sure he means another 45* angle cut onto the inside lip edges of the intake valves. this is a nice little trick some machinists do. only person i know of thats done it for sure is scott section 8 cav.

as for pistons, tons of people have had good luck with wiseco's. eagle's are a nice cheap rod option, tons of people have ran these with great luck as well. but.. there are other options if you wanna go with them. crower makes a VERY nice rod, diamond and je, as well as cp all make a piston for us and are also very good quality.

i would definitely do the 2.3 oil pump swap while you're in there, too...

I choose the technology built for land speed records... not the technology built to save on emissions and gas mileage.
Monday, October 29, 2012 4:38 PM
ya i work at a machine swap so i can do all the head work myself and still decideding on a 3800 swap maybe would be so much easier to get my goals lol
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search