3800 swap, ecotec swap, or fix and build ld9? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
3800 swap, ecotec swap, or fix and build ld9?
Sunday, November 04, 2012 11:11 AM
I currently have a 2002 cav z24 5-speed and just recently it started ticking at 2500 rpm's. i thought it was the timing chain so we fixed the tensioner and everything but it still made the noise. after driving it a little more the ticking turned into an engine knock and i havent driven it since because its loud as all hell. somehow the connector rod went bad and im leaking oil too. my grandpa has worked for gm for many many years and he said the bottom ends of the engines never go bad like that so idk what happened. it has 109k on it. i planned on building my ld9 before it died but a lot of people say they get a power increase from the ecotec engines. i dont really know anything about the 3800 swaps or the power increases but my ld9 takes my buddies 3800 monte carlo ss easily granted the monte is a lot heavier. what do you guys think i should do? because i cant drive it anymore and i need to do something to it to get it running again. should i get some pistons and work on my motor? or swap it? im going nuts trying to figure out what i should do with it

Re: 3800 swap, ecotec swap, or fix and build ld9?
Sunday, November 04, 2012 11:56 AM
It all depends on money, time, research, and ability. I would say your easiest and cheapest would be to replace your ld9 and build it to you hp goals.

Many people on here have gotten very respectable hp numbers out of both motors, and both are supported by aftermarket. A stock ld9 and ecotec are pretty well matched from factory. In fear of starting an ld9 vs ecotec discussion I will stop here.

Best advice anyone can give you here is do your research. This site is packed with great information on all three motors.

Here is information on the two swaps you mentioned to get you started.

ecotec swap

3800 swap

Cheers, m!ke

Sunday, November 04, 2012 11:17 PM
Rebuild and boost the LD9

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Tuesday, November 06, 2012 6:19 PM
eco

JBO since July 30, 2001
Wednesday, November 07, 2012 6:31 PM
Eco

LOL at the fact that 2 3800 Jbody owners say eco and not 3800! Don't get me wrong, I love mine and the instant power everywhere in the rpm band, but it isn't cheap, eco would be your best bet.

Friday, November 09, 2012 6:40 PM
Rebuild the LD9... You already have the head, block, trans, radiator, and PCM... just get your performance goodies and machine the motor, then get tuned...

Whoever told you that with a stock eco you get a power increase over a stock LD9, you need to hit them. The stock LD9 puts 10 more WHP out than the stock Eco. The weight displacement is 50 lbs, which in theory, a tank of gas could make the same affect on weight displacement.

Friday, November 09, 2012 8:03 PM
i got both an ld9 and an eco and i like more the ld9
go with the ld9 p&p head put in a header intake and exhaust
along with some lowering springs and have fun!!
Friday, November 09, 2012 8:27 PM
With all information you posted rebuilding your LD9 was in your future go with that.

Second would be a Ecotec swap.

3800 swap will require some custom parts and wiring, and knowing what your doing.

FU Tuning

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search