Review - ebay Short Ram Intake - 1998 Z24 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Review - ebay Short Ram Intake - 1998 Z24
Saturday, November 17, 2012 9:30 PM
Time for another product review! Paid like $60 for it from glazious_direct on ebay. This intake will fit '95-02 Cavalier Z24's and Sunfire GT's.

Unpacking:

Awesome box FTL.

Nothing was damaged. Inside, you get four large hose clamps, two small hose clamps, a breather tube (which compared to my last ebay intake, was awesome. It was very sturdy rubber and didn't flatten easily when bent), air filter, intake pipe, and a useless mounting bolt.

The lip of the tubing was a little rough.

And I personally didn't care much for the seams inside of the pipe. But what can you do?

Shiny.

K&N knock-off next to the real K&N I'm using with it. At least this one actually had a paper element in it.

The instructions for this kit were so horrid I didn't bother taking a picture of them. Seriously, bad.

Installation:

So, remove your stock airbox by removing the four screws around the filter and all the hose clamps. Then remove the lower section that the filter goes to that goes into the fender. Removing your battery and/or fusebox might make this easier. There are also two bolts that mount it to the cylinder head. The breather tube is between the intake runners and is a pain to grab ahold of. Mine was on there pretty good. Pull hard enough and it'll come off. Put the new one on the engine before you put the coupler and intake pipe on, it may be hard to reach your hand in there if you do it backwards. Make sure you remove your IAT sensor from your stock intake and insert it into the rubber grommet on the new one. It was an extremely tight fit to get mine in. It still isn't in right, but whatevs. Attach the rubber coupler to the throttle body with a hose clamp, and the intake pipe to the coupler. It was a tight fit for both for me. Leave the hose clamps loose so you can wiggle the pipe around. You'll need to. Attach the breather tube with one of the small hose clamps to the intake pipe. The mounting bracket lined up perfectly with the upper bolt holding my power steering pump on, so I went ahead and attached it to that. Everything fit and went where it should. Manual transmissions will need that AEM attachment for J's that mounts the clutch reservoir to one of the mounts that the stock airbox goes on. I didn't do this (yet).

The Finished Product:

Holy crap my engine bay is disgusting.

Conclusion:

Build Quality: 4/5

The product is solid. Nothing was mangled and everything attached well. I didn't care much for the hose clamps, as they have a tendency to bind when you start tightening them good. The breather tube was of great quality for an ebay kit, and was the perfect length, as was the rubber coupler. The coupler was a very tight fit on the pipe as well as on the throttle body, but it was a solid piece and didn't crumble to bits in my hand or anything. The included filter seemed to be of good quality, it was solid and resembled a K&N. I have no idea how it would perform, though. I really didn't care for where the mounting bracket was located on the pipe. It should be closer to the filter, but still before the last bend. My intake currently rides up against the ABS system sometimes when the motor rocks, and I feel it in the steering wheel and gas pedal, though it's only slight. Fortunately, it's made of aluminum and will bend really easy, so I'll just adjust it.

Appearance: 5/5

It's so f*cking shiny. Slap an AEM or K&N sticker on that bish and call it a day.

Installation Difficulty: 1/5

This install is very easy, and can be done with a couple screwdrivers, a socket/wrench set, and a pair of pliers.

Instructions: 1/5

I don't wanna talk about it. Good news, you really don't need a manual for this.

Performance: 5/5

Who knows if I even got a power increase. I'd like to this so. This car already goes pretty damn good for what it is, and this cheap mod made it even more fun. Throttle response is definitely improved. Intake air temperature reached a maximum of 109F (idling in my driveway for a long period of time). While cruising it was ~65F and it was roughly 45F outside. Not bad. To be honest though, the big thing you notice with this intake is the noise. Holy crap. It's like God himself is screaming when you floor it. My car had an aftermarket muffler on it when I bought it, and it sounds real nice, but when you start to reach that upper spectrum of RPMs, the intake drowns it out by a long shot. It's awesome. Cruising is quiet, at ~20-40% throttle you hear air being pulled into it, but WOT is where the fun is.

A 300 mile trip Friday also let me know I get slightly better fuel economy. Problem is I don't wanna keep my foot out of it.

Value: 5/5

Can't go wrong for $60. Mine was about $95 with the K&N (which I purchased on Amazon). It's a great starting point for an up and coming modder, and the most bang for your buck bolt-on you can get. Buy it. I promise it'll be worth it.

Re: Review - ebay Short Ram Intake - 1998 Z24
Tuesday, November 20, 2012 10:41 AM
Mine was similar, the mounting bracket broke off of mine next to the weld so beware of that. I also got my k&n filter on amazon... cheap insurance.

Have a nice day.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search