2002 2200 ln7 plans - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2002 2200 ln7 plans
Monday, December 10, 2012 4:15 PM
OK I've been reading through this forum for a few days now and now have some question s but first want to explain a few things.first I like to be different and realized engine swaps are common on these cars but I like the 2200 because it is easy to work on and pretty basic and I would like to keep it in my car also because it seems a lot of people do not do n/a builds on these cara except for race vehicles which brings me to my questions.

Now first here is a listvof what I want to do while keeping my car as a DD
have crank grooved
Clevite main and rod bearings
Around main studs and rod bolts
Forged rods and pistons with slightly higher compression
have head pnp done
3 angle valve job
combustion chambers polished
1mm larger valves
Lt1 valve springs
1.6 roller tip rocker arms
Larger stem valves
Header(trying to find a good 4-2-1 header that I wont have to reweld constantly)
Custom 2.25 inch dual exit exhaust with magnaflow cat, magnaflow glass pack in place of resonator, and 2 flow master super 44 mufflers with magnaflow resonated tips
battery relocation to trunk
Oil n transfer cooler
A/C delete

Now I'm not done researching but Ive been trying to find an aluminum intake instead of plastic one and a larger throttle body and a decent set of cam specs that will be good for a daily driver but still have the came lope to it

Also I was wondering what type of injectors/pump and other supporting mods I should do.

Any input or parts lists for parts needed or part numbers or places to get these parts would ne appreciated.

Re: 2002 2200 ln7 plans
Monday, December 10, 2012 4:16 PM
Also planning on having the car synopsis tuned when its all done
Monday, December 10, 2012 4:19 PM
No real upgrades done as of now I've only had the car about 3 weeks, I've got a cone air filter on the factory tube and polished the valve cover and done a few exterior and interior mods but nothing special
Monday, December 10, 2012 4:32 PM
I was wondering if someone can post a detailed parts list for what i woukd nees to do the valve train swap.
Ii know the Crane gold 1.6 roller tip rocker arms and studs
Valve cover spacer
Valve springs and retainers
Push rods
1mm larger valves with thicker stems

I get the general list but more details of parts and what exactly I'd need to do my head would be appreciated.
I've never done head work before so this is a first for me so any help will be appreciated. I'm a noob to all this.
So part numbers and details would be nice ill find where to get the parts fro,but I don't know details of sizes lengths etc.to look for the parts. Sorry I'm sure more people have asked these questions but I couldn't find a detailed parts list to refer to when I look for the parts.
Tuesday, December 11, 2012 1:47 AM
OK I have to do a tune up and oil change on my car this weekend I was trying to look for after market. Coil packs and plug wires for my 02 ln7 and would prefer msd by all im finding is OEM and accel. Any ideas where to find this stuff looking for a set of msd coil packs and 8.5mm plug wires and im running ngk iridium IX plugs a k&n oil filter with royal purple. Oil and 50/50. Coolant for winger with a amsoil additive and 93 octane pump gas with a bottle of amsoil octane booster. So any thing I should change?
Tuesday, December 11, 2012 11:39 PM
Any shop or supplier that carries MSD parts will have the coils you want... But unless you add one of their DIS multiple-spark output controller boxes, your best bet is to stick with the GM coils. I've spoken with others that have experience with DIS...namely, with their first one (Buick 3.8L Turbo-6)... and more-often-than-not, they said they got best results using the GM replacement-parts version. As for the wires: Buy a universal set for an 8-cyl (Barely costs much more than the 4-cyl set!) and custom-fabricate them for your application... because you won't find them prefabricated for any year of the LN2.

Until you change the pistons, making the static-compression higher, you don't need any more octane than 93-points. In-fact, you don't even need that much the way it is now... Because the truth is: Unless you're operating in a high-load (lotta weight, climbing really steep hills in high-gear...) and/or high-heat (Blazing-hot day, coolant-temp above average & A/C on) situation, the most you'll need on-average is 87-points... Maybe 89, sometimes!

Find an Advance Auto-Parts store, and get the Mobil-1 Extended Life replacement oil-filter. It will resist bowing & expansion, which leads to "small... but effective" pressure-drops (5-15psi), and will protect your oil for twice the intervals (mileage) a conventional filter will... Which is why you're running a K&N oil-filter currently, I'd imagine.

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Tuesday, December 11, 2012 11:40 PM
Oh-yeah! the Mobil-1 filter costs less, too!

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Wednesday, December 12, 2012 1:02 AM
Thanks for the advice ill definately remember that n yeah that's why I was using the 13 dollar k&n oil filter lol.
Wednesday, December 12, 2012 6:47 PM
How hard is it to install the msd multi spark outpit boxes in an 02 with the ln7? If not to bad ill probably just do that.
Monday, December 17, 2012 2:04 AM
Well should be picking up a head from the junk yard this week and a friend i cleaning it all off for me so next step is to figure out what exactly I want to do with it. Thinking full race pnp larger valves with thicker stems all new seals guides n etc Crane roller tip gold rocker arms valve cover spacer all ARP hardware 4 angle valve job polished combustion chambers and shaved and stiffer valve springs. Just have to find the parts and figure out what works in our heads. Then replace my lower end with forged internals with clevite bearings and all around hardware,flat top pistons, and maybe a .030 over bore. New cam bearings custom grind cam and HD lifters and new OEM length pushrods.

Can someone please post me part numbers or where I can find what valves, springs,rocker arms, etc will work in our heads, I know about the machine work that needs to be done but I called summit today and they said is have to figure outwhat valvea ,springs,rocker arms,and push rods I'd need cause theey never heard of doing this stuff before. I tried looking for it but its to complicated on my cell phone.
Sunday, December 23, 2012 8:35 AM
general motors wrote:
LN2 14753 P ENG M ENGINE GAS, 4 CYL, 2.2L, MFI 880419 E 1 E A
LN7 14758 P ENG M ENGINE GAS, 6 CYL, 2.5L, MFI, V6, TURBO, OHC, GM 980601 E X E A

I'm pretty sure you mean LN2 .. 2002 J-bodies only came from the factory with the 2200 (LN2) Twin Cam (LD9) or the Ecotec (L61)

Sunday, December 23, 2012 1:51 PM
My only word of advice:

Build your engine around your cam and not vice versa. That should be the first thing you have in hand before you start to decide on pistons, manifolds and everything else.

Everything else you do in the engine should be to complement the powerband and design of the cam. Youll still make decent power just throwing parts together buts its never going to reach its potential. Especially with an engine like an LN2 you need to sit down and look at what youre doing and why. Forged internals are kind of sticking point for me. Are you planning to raise the redline to a point where the pistons and rods will become unstable? Strength wise the LN2 rods and pistons are pretty good. The stock bottom end has been taken to 22 psi and even then the failure was in the ringlands and not the rods or crank. A good rebuild with quality bearings (the Honda world likes ACL bearings. Ive heard some good and bad about Clevties.) would support a close to stock redline.

I completely understand the desire to be different. I was planning a nice 2200 build for my old car too. But the amount of power per money youll make out of an N/A LN2 will leave you disappointed and wanting more. Boost it or swap it.

Friday, January 25, 2013 8:58 AM
Listen to Dimer on the gas; you're wasting money on anything above 87.
You're not revving 10,000+, so stick to cheap oil. Drop the additives.
Spend a year saving $$$$ and researching your ass off.

Listen to Brian. If you want to do a full build, you need to start with the brain of the engine, the cam. Once you have the cam, you build outwards. Valvetrain, then block. Also, as he said, the rods are quite sturdy (I wouldn't spend the $$$ to replace them), and the pistons would be fine for NA (just shave the block and head to increase compression).

For rockers, I like the stock 2200 (save $100+). Otherwise, check out MadJack's thread: http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=2&i=420858&t=348365&p=1

For springs, good luck, and start reading: http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=2&i=459304&t=338325&p=1

fortune cookie say: better a delay than a disaster
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search