pistons - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
pistons
Thursday, December 27, 2012 7:31 PM
I am currently building a 97 2.2L that will be a dirt track race car. I am planing on putting a cam, newer style intake( with adapter plate) , bigger TB, bigger injectors and will have it tuned. The block has been bored 40 over and been decked 20. The head will be shaved( not exactly sure how much) and ported and polished. My question has to do with which pistons to use, I am undecided on 98 up, which have a smaller dish or flat top pistons. I will be running 112 octane racing fuel just need to know if the flat tops will be too much and hit the pistons and if I use the 98 pistons what kind of compression ratio I would have. I appreciate any input on this so I can get some pistons ordered, I will be buying the stuff from chevycavalierworld.com if that helps on the parts im gonna use. Thanks

Re: pistons
Friday, December 28, 2012 5:06 PM
Doing a street build right now with 98 pistons in a 97. Only decked the block enough to clean it up so about .004. Silvolite. 030 pistons. Poured the head and cyl. And with a stock. 070 gasket and 34cc head comp was going to be 11.6-1. The head i was going to use was warped .011 so after milling it comp was only going to go up and be uneven between cylinders, so i sold that head and im starting with a brand new one. Also took. 015 off the top of the pistons (not in the dish). Havent poured it again but comp should be 11.4-11.5 whendone.
Friday, December 28, 2012 5:29 PM
You buying a set of eagle rods for it?
Friday, December 28, 2012 5:47 PM
if I go with f/t pistons I was but if I have that much compression I will just tgo with the newer pistons and stock rods. I had a 96 I raced this year and they held up fine. only advantage with them for me would be the weight of them. I appreciate the info b/c it made up my mind on pistons and saved me several hundred dollars. Why did you shave the pistons?
Friday, December 28, 2012 6:24 PM
Just to give me a hair less compression. Dont really want more than 11.5-1. I would be fine with 11-1. I haven't. Pressed them together yet and wont untill i pour everything again. I was going to list the details of my build on here later to get some input. But if youor anybody else here is willing i'll go ahead and post here for feedback.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search