FYI. on Commetic LN2 h/g - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
FYI. on Commetic LN2 h/g
Saturday, January 12, 2013 3:08 AM
When putting our forged ln2 back together we ran across an issue with the. commetic head gasket. It rubs on 2 of the pushrods and needed to be clearanced so the gasket doesn't ruin anyone's build down the line. The two spots are pointed too, in the pic.

I hope this helps anyone down the line.

Re: FYI. on Commetic LN2 h/g
Saturday, January 12, 2013 10:17 PM
Which LN2? Or do they use the same HG?

Sunday, January 13, 2013 1:12 AM
Ours is a 98-02 not sure how much different a pre98 is.

Friday, January 25, 2013 8:32 AM
Thanks for the heads-up; I didn't even check...

fortune cookie say: better a delay than a disaster
Saturday, January 26, 2013 4:29 PM
Notec.....there's a name I've not seen in a while. Did you ever have a build thread?

Monday, January 28, 2013 7:02 AM
My build is 10+ years in the making, and all information is spread out through 100s of different threads since I kept changing plans
My DSM blew a head gasket a couple years back and I haven't touched the J-body since. The built motor has been sitting on a stand for a few years and I'm now looking for an S10 to put it in and hoping to go electric with the Cavalier (AFAIK this hasn't been done yet).

Who has the forged LN2 that is using this head gasket? You sold yours, right?

Monday, January 28, 2013 7:45 AM
OHV notec...EV west sells an adapters that should bolt up to the LN2.

end trend jack.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, January 28, 2013 8:23 AM
My best friend wanted a car with decent mpg and I wanted a v8 rwd anything...so I traded my red ohv car to him with suspension Mods for the 95 Dakota sport with some cash to replace the hydrolocked 318. Then I put a cammed and bolt on 360 in the truck and he wanted all my turbo parts for the cavi....and that's how everything went down.

There is a build thread in p&m called tiny update for the red car. and the truck has a thread in other cars called my 95dakota sport to rt thread.

Monday, January 28, 2013 12:25 PM
-MD- Enforcer wrote:OHV notec...EV west sells an adapters that should bolt up to the LN2.
I've seen a couple of possibilities, but sooooo expensive
Current plan is to draw one up myself and find someone that will let me use their mill, or just pay for the machining (should be a bit cheaper).

JUCNBST wrote:My best friend wanted a car with decent mpg and I wanted a v8 rwd anything...so I traded my red ohv car to him with suspension Mods for the 95 Dakota sport with some cash to replace the hydrolocked 318. Then I put a cammed and bolt on 360 in the truck and he wanted all my turbo parts for the cavi....and that's how everything went down.

There is a build thread in p&m called tiny update for the red car. and the truck has a thread in other cars called my 95dakota sport to rt thread.
Geez, both are pretty impressive, but that Cav is intense! Your fab skills are top-notch

Monday, January 28, 2013 3:24 PM
Thanks,

Monday, January 28, 2013 10:09 PM
JUCNBST wrote:Ours is a 98-02 not sure how much different a pre98 is.

I don't believe a commetic was ever made for the Pre 98 models. They are different. I went with a victor reins and its been working out.

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 11:16 AM
Actually they are the same as far as I know from 94-03. Did you purchase the cometic from IPP? I'm pretty sure Phil custom orders these so if they need to be changed we'll make sure it gets changed.
Tuesday, January 29, 2013 2:49 PM
The coolant flow changed in '98, but the newer gasket can be modified to work (need to add a hole).
rockauto.com catalog has accurate pictures of each version.

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 6:38 PM
The ht was ordered through TurboTechRacing. Got to support the guys who support us. Ipp supplied the cam and pistons.

Saturday, February 09, 2013 4:25 PM
OHV notec wrote:The coolant flow changed in '98, but the newer gasket can be modified to work (need to add a hole).
rockauto.com catalog has accurate pictures of each version.

Yes, the coolant flow did change for '98... and for good reason: In '94, the LN2 started seeing use in the S-10 trucks & SUVs. This required re-routing the coolant flow towards the accessory-drive end of the engine,so GM just did what they did with the old "Iron-Duke" that the LN2 replaced: Relocate the water-outlet/thermostat housing, and block the ports in the head-gasket accordingly.

A simple solution, yes... but it led to a big problem: Because all the LN2s bound for either the S-trucks or J-cars & [beginning in '96] W-cars (Celebrity) were built on the same line, engines completed with the gasket meant for the FWD-cars apps got sent for installation in S-trucks... And vice-versa. This lead to a a bunch of overheating related failures & recalls that... on top of maintenance-related core-plug rusting issues, and the relatively low power/weight-ratio had with this engine in the far-heavier-than-a-Cavlier S-trucks... gave the LN2 a "black-eye" in eyes of consumers & automotive enthusiasts.

So what was GM's final-solution? Since the LN2 was getting redesigned, due to numerous noise, performance & reliability issues (Re: Premature timing-chain failure is S-truck apps)... as well as to coordinate it with efforts to improve vehicle CAFE-testing results... GM decided to just redesign the FWD apps so the upper radiator-hose was located to the right-hand side of the engine-bay. A cheap, simple & effective solution... Which is what the LN2 was meant to be in the first-place!

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search