Head work - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Head work
Saturday, January 19, 2013 10:32 AM
iv got a 2002 ls sport with a 2.2l OHV 2200 im gonna be pullin the heat to gasket match the exhaust header and also deck it a bit to up compression is there anything anyone else is doing to the heads to make the cars a little peppyer, rockers, valve springs, push rods ecet....
thought about doin a cam but i donno, is it really worth it.
idea for the car is NA auto cross.

Re: Head work
Tuesday, January 22, 2013 6:15 PM
All of the above will

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 10:33 AM
Also a port and polish would also help..

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 11:11 AM
Port and polish for sure, there's a lot of room for expansion in that head. Cam would really only be worth it if you are getting a custom tune. I would do rockers and springs too. You can find a list of compatible rockers here. I honestly forget what springs work with that setup since I've gone to the ecotec side. There's also a really good write up on hybrid lifters that could help you out too. I think it has something to do with using the lifter springs out of an LT1 in the 2200 lifter.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, January 23, 2013 11:14 AM
And here it is:
clicky

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, January 23, 2013 7:09 PM
i am porting and polishing. sorry thats what i was refering to when i said gasket match.
thank you verry much for the help and links, iv definatly got some reading.
i work for a shop that does alot of efi live tuning however it is on diesel trucks, but i at least know the system. my concern is i havent read anything good on here about efi live. iv read alot about hp tuners. but for a tuner program is it really any differant. its just easier to get the module and licencing through my shop.
Friday, January 25, 2013 8:25 AM
Maybe I've just been gone for too long, but how did an OHV motor end up in an '02 LS Sport?

Polish up the combustion chambers, and focus your port work around the valves.

If you want any noticeable NA gains w/ the 2200, you really need a new cam profile. Accompany that with the lifter swap, stiffer pushrods (important!), and stiffer springs (if your cam needs them; you may be able to shim the stock springs). The stock rockers on the 2200 are decent, and I wouldn't waste the $$$ to get roller tips.

fortune cookie say: better a delay than a disaster
Friday, January 25, 2013 8:57 AM
OHV notec wrote:Maybe I've just been gone for too long, but how did an OHV motor end up in an '02 LS Sport?

Good to see you back! In 02 most came with the 2200(i actually robbed one for my 01 base model from 02 LSS) but somewhere during the year they switched to the ecotec with the ugly 02 style fuel rail.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Friday, January 25, 2013 9:03 AM
Y3llowCav wrote:
OHV notec wrote:Maybe I've just been gone for too long, but how did an OHV motor end up in an '02 LS Sport?

Good to see you back! In 02 most came with the 2200(i actually robbed one for my 01 base model from 02 LSS) but somewhere during the year they switched to the ecotec with the ugly 02 style fuel rail.
Weeeel... In '02, the LS Sport model only came with a DOHC engine (either LD9 or L61, depending on when and where). The LN2 was only in the base models.
Regardless, yours was a swap, which explains it

Is Dave still running the show here? This is still the most efficient message board I've ever used...

Friday, January 25, 2013 9:12 AM
Didn't there used to be an 'edit' button?

I re-read what you wrote and it seems like you're just referring to the '02 ECO as a 2200?
Last I checked, "2200" was only used for the '98-'02 LN2 engine

However, Tjc6 said he has the actual 2200 (LN2, pushrod-powered) in an LS Sport...

Friday, January 25, 2013 9:43 AM
OHV notec wrote:Is Dave still running the show here? This is still the most efficient message board I've ever used...

He is and 100% agree.

OHV notec wrote:I re-read what you wrote and it seems like you're just referring to the '02 ECO as a 2200?
Last I checked, "2200" was only used for the '98-'02 LN2 engine

Yes I meant 2200 OHV LN2 and 2.2 eco L61. I still believe the LSS came with both motors depending on time and place. I don't ever recall hearing of one with a 2.4 LD9 in 2002. The 2200 I stole was from a yellow 2002 LSS. It had all the LSS(previously Z24) options and only had 40k on it. It was totaled hard from the back and I had recently blown my 2200 in my 2001 base cav (I know it's hard to believe but it happened) and was looking for a replacement. Anyway, who would swap a 2200 into an eco car(besides you and maybe a few others here, lol)? Perhaps they swapped all the LSS options from a donor car but I doubt it.

"In Oldskool we trust"

Friday, January 25, 2013 10:37 AM
Y3llowCav wrote:I still believe the LSS came with both motors depending on time and place.
I've never seen an LS Sport w/ a LN2, stock. Also, sites like Edmunds say that the LS Sport only came with the L61 (off-topic, but interesting--Wikipedia fails to mention the 2.3L available in '95 in the article on the Cavalier). I could see someone who didn't know the difference having one swapped in because it was a cheaper replacement though. I could also see a dealer installing LS Sport body panels on a base model.
Y3llowCav wrote:I don't ever recall hearing of one with a 2.4 LD9 in 2002.
You could definitely get the LD9 in '02. It may have still been called the Z24 model though
I know there was a difference in models between Canada and the US in '02, as well.

Friday, January 25, 2013 10:50 AM
02 was just a !@#$ed up year huh? In any case, I suppose it's possible that the dealer riced it out to sell. They did the same thing to my 69 camaro by replacing the cowl induction hood with the fake chrome scoops.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Saturday, January 26, 2013 9:23 AM
i actually didn't even realize it was an ls sport till i registered it and the vin came up ls sport. with a 2.2 ... the car has no bagging on it, just had the side skirts and rear facia and a 5 speed 2 door. witch is why i bought it.
now that you guys have said its not spost to be there i was curious, i don't see any signs of a motor swap or wire spicing. i believe its the stock motor,
thanks OHV notec, regardless if it was spost to have its what iv got. so its what im working with.
it really sounds like 02 was a #&$* up year
talked to the builder at the engine shop my shop is attached to with swapping rockers he informed me on coil bind-up. if i really get into auto x mayb ill build a motor there like 200 at the wrecker and do the cam rockers push rods ect... hell who knows maybe pistons rods guess at that point ill have to decide
however currently i will pull the head, deck it a little and port and polish. iv got cold air intake, and exhaust manifold to aid the head, i have found throttle bodys but seems guys are building intake manifolds, is this correct?
Monday, January 28, 2013 6:55 AM
It's interesting that your title says it's an LS Sport, although I've seen stranger descriptions on titles. If the original buyer paid LS Sport prices for a 2200, they got screwed.

You might want to avoid motor mods if you want to be competitive in auto-X. Once you open it up, you enter a class that you can't possibly win with the car (assuming they haven't changed the classes and added a FWD modified or something since I last looked)
I posted a link to the old 2200 valvespring thread in another recent thread; reading through it will explain why it's hard to replace the springs on the 2200. Long duration and a low rocker ratio is the easiest route for a 2200.

I've never seen an aftermarket intake manifold for the 2200, just the 97- 2.2L (I don't count RSM; they just 'port' a stock manifold)

Saturday, February 02, 2013 4:28 AM
i will look into the class specifications at the next meeting. thank you for the heads up i would have been ticked if i couldent race in at least a closely competitive class.
Sunday, February 03, 2013 1:27 PM
2002 they did have 2.4's they were still called z24's I actually got a 2002 z24 that I'm hopeing to start working on once winters over.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search