H.O. cps pad/general cps questions - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
H.O. cps pad/general cps questions
Saturday, January 19, 2013 11:44 AM
Ok, I've read through most of the H.O. cam related posts that I can find, and I'm not quite finding the info I'm looking for...perhaps it's my sleep deprivation, lol.

So, here's what I'm working with, and what I'm trying to accomplish:
I'm running an LSJ/LK9 (2.0 SC Eco) off of a 00-02 harness and PCM with the SC speed density reflash (HPT tuned), swapped into my '04. I've been running with no cam sensor obviously (the LSJ does normally have one, but it obviously isn't compatible with the harness/pcm combo, let alone the fact there is no physical room for i). I've been trying to figure out a way to utilize a CPS so I can once again run sequential injection, and before I seriously consider Megasquirt and hoping the LSJ cps works with it, I started thinking about how the LD9 crowd welds the CPS pad to the HO cam.

Where I am lost is how you figure out at what position of the cam to place the pad? I'm assuming it needs to correspond to the timing tooth on the crank...is it as simple as when the motor is set to TDC, the CPS pad and the CPS just need to be aligned? Or is there a more involved thought process that I'm totally missing?

I'd like to figure out the feasibility of this before bothering to figure out the physical fitment...I believe I have enough room on the side of the lsj cam cover to place the sensor between the oil baffle and bottom of the cover, which if angled, should give it a straight shot at the cam. And who knows, maybe it won't work, but only one way to find out.

If anyone has some insight, or can point me to the proper reading, thanks in advance.

Re: H.O. cps pad/general cps questions
Saturday, January 19, 2013 4:26 PM
We generally don't weld it and usually run without the sensor, the only time the sensor is beneficial is during idle... (since it assists with sequential fuel injection, where as without the sensor it defaults to batch, and usually under any sort of load, its under batch fuel injection anyway)

In all of my searching, I've only found one place that will do it (and can do it correctly), and that is through someone Brad (ZYAAAA) knows... Eventually I'll be getting my Crane Cam Intake Cam done...

Saturday, January 19, 2013 4:41 PM
wait, don't you have an LSJ head?

just use the LSJ cam sensor?

or will it run into the MC/ booster?

(it's hard for me to remember the clearance there because I have manual brakes now)

Saturday, January 19, 2013 6:32 PM
I have always wondered your exact question.

Are you having a issue you can resolve?

FU Tuning

Saturday, January 19, 2013 8:46 PM
Kyle- I've gathered that many don't do anything and just run in batch fire, i just figured if it could be fixed, then why not? I was however not aware that above idle it basically runs in batch anyway. Good to know.

PJ- yes, the LSJ cam sensor was my first thought, but with a stock mc it's a no go. I had to massage the hard line just to fit the casting on the head. I may look into a Wildwood unit like yours in the future, but honestly it's not a priority in my budget...this whole endeavor isn't really...it's more or less a minor inconvenience that'd I'd like to resolve if possible.
Beyond that, im going to guess that the LSJ cam sensor won't play well with the ld9 pcm/harness. If i do decide to megasquirt, then maybe it'd be usable.

John- no issues from this at least (we're still combating the ghost knock but thats another story). Just figured the motor is designed to run with sfi, so why not try? Again, this is by no means a priority...if it can fixed, great, if not, no sleep lost here, lol

Sunday, January 20, 2013 5:06 AM
my understanding is idle and low rpm's(up to 3800), any thing over 3800 is batch fire.

FU Tuning

Sunday, January 20, 2013 7:07 AM
welcome to world of Ghost knock... i need to detune my knock sensor by about 30%...

Sunday, January 20, 2013 7:45 AM
Mystic02VA (GME Chat) wrote:welcome to world of Ghost knock... i need to detune my knock sensor by about 30%...

Lol, we've detuned my knock sensor to the point of pretty much turning it off and it's still there. Odd thing is, no matter what level of desensitization (we've tried 4-5%, 25%, I think past 40, it slams right to 10* KR with about 3-4 psi. We had one flash, I think in the neighborhood of 5% detuned, where it showed absolutely no knock at all which we think was a fluke; that early in the tuning there should have been at least a small blip of KR when I mashed the pedal, lol...but again, that's a story for another time (and I big reason MS is looking so enticing).

I need to do some more research on the LSJ cam sensor, but short of MS, I don't see it working, just based on the sensors working differently (I'm not even quite sure exactly how the LSJ sensor reads since its driven off a cam hex).

Sunday, January 20, 2013 9:48 AM
the LSJ sensor is a self contained unit.. bolts onto the exhaust cam journal. there's a small wheel inside with 4 notches of different sizes, and the sensor reads those as it turns with the camshaft.

I have one laying around, so if you're ever truly curious I can take pictures or whatever if you want. It's about 1.25" tall, so that will more likely than not interfere with the MC

Sunday, January 20, 2013 11:16 AM
I have gotten my LD9 without knock.

I have found built ecotec show knock. I think it is the solid lifters/lash adjusters.

FU Tuning

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search