Alternators - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Alternators
Sunday, January 27, 2013 9:05 AM
I want to get a high output alternator for my cavalier. Mine is an 03 and I was wondering what years I could cross match with...

I assume only 03,04, and 05 cavys, but I'm not entirely sure, anyone have some thoughts? I can find a decent one cheap but it's for 95-98 or 99-02... Any one know?

--------------------------My Garage History--------------------------
95 Ford Probe SE (5-Spd) (Junked)
96 Saturn SW2 (Auto) (Til I Rolled it)
97 Dodge Avenger v6 (Auto) <3 (Til a senior citizen T-Boned it.)
08 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (6-Speed) (Sold)
82 Yamaha Maxim 400 (5-Speed) (Sold)
95 Chevy Cavalier 2.2 Coupe (5-Spd) (Traded it for current car)
---Currently Owned---
11 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (5-Speed)
03 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe 2.2 Ecotec (5-Spd)

Re: Alternators
Sunday, January 27, 2013 9:21 AM
This isnt the correct forum section for this question since a higher output alternator has nothing to do with performance..

But..

Because of the way the alt is designed on the ecotec motors it isnt a easy swap with a larger case like the 2200's. So it will not cross match with anything but other ecotecs.

I think the cheapest way to do it is to get a stock one rewound. Search in the audio section as I know I have seen people post in there where they got their high output alts for the eco.
Monday, January 28, 2013 7:26 AM
I completely appreciate that you took the time to answer that, thank you, however:

Philly D wrote:...a higher output alternator has nothing to do with performance...

Is truly a statement of ignorance.

Thanks for the info, I know where I can get some HO Alts for this car I just wanted to see if it was viable to buy a cheaper one for an LN if it would fit. I guess if I wanted big Amps I'm going to pay big bucks this time.

--------------------------My Garage History--------------------------
95 Ford Probe SE (5-Spd) (Junked)
96 Saturn SW2 (Auto) (Til I Rolled it)
97 Dodge Avenger v6 (Auto) <3 (Til a senior citizen T-Boned it.)
08 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (6-Speed) (Sold)
82 Yamaha Maxim 400 (5-Speed) (Sold)
95 Chevy Cavalier 2.2 Coupe (5-Spd) (Traded it for current car)
---Currently Owned---
11 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (5-Speed)
03 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe 2.2 Ecotec (5-Spd)
Monday, January 28, 2013 7:35 AM
Dee Jay wrote:

Philly D wrote:...a higher output alternator has nothing to do with performance...

I'll have to agree with Philly on that one. A HO alternator will not help in a performance (HP and TQ numbers) manner.

Upgrading your grounds aka the big 3 could help a little but in no noticeable way.
Tuesday, January 29, 2013 10:57 AM
RED wrote:
Dee Jay wrote:

I'll have to agree with Philly on that one. A HO alternator will not help in a performance (HP and TQ numbers) manner.

Upgrading your grounds aka the big 3 could help a little but in no noticeable way.

x2. Could always supercharge it and use the LSJ alt!

"In Oldskool we trust"
Tuesday, January 29, 2013 1:00 PM
Y3llowCav wrote:
RED wrote:
Dee Jay wrote:

x2. Could always supercharge it and use the LSJ alt!

X2

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search