stock head + boost ?'s - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
stock head + boost ?'s
Thursday, January 31, 2013 4:22 AM
So i tried to search before i posted but theres so many posts but not many answers... i know the stock head isnt the best for boost andthe lsj head is already slightly ported so the ? Is how does the stock head fair with boost? I been running the complete stock engine on the lnf settup and just purchased rods and pistons and play for at least 350 wheel t04e turbo... im guesing somewhere around 25 psi max... now ive read the build book and there was nothing said about the head really unless your reving higher than stock which im not...is the lsj head the best option? I really dont wanna buy cams right away and im not sure its even possible to make 350 without new springs and valves and adjusters... any help is welcome... also head gasket im guessing cometic? Or copper like my exhaust gasket...

Re: stock head + boost ?'s
Thursday, January 31, 2013 9:47 AM
My head crapped out on me with 9psi on a small T3 turbo. Believe I got valve float and the valve made contact with the piston. Bad day....... Just rebuild your head with stock cams and replace everything else with supertech, ferrera, or gm racing parts.

"You can only feed them semen for so long before their legs fall off."

Thursday, January 31, 2013 10:59 AM
Well i know thats a week point but i didnt know if i should go with the lsj head or not...
Thursday, January 31, 2013 5:19 PM
I would. My head failed because of the porosity of the L61 head. Wasnt even boosting when that failed either.

Thursday, January 31, 2013 6:20 PM
I would run lsj head and stock head gasket arp head studs with super tech valve springs I could prolly sell my extra lsj head or get ahold of Jeff reiland aka mongorat on CSS.net for a head he just picked up 4 new lsj engines

RIP Cpl Derek Kerns And Cpl Robby Reyes
24th MEU VMM-261 (REIN) V22 Crewchiefs
11 April 2012 Morocco (African Lion)
Thursday, January 31, 2013 10:25 PM
I know him personally.. so i will def call him.. never thought of him since hes mostly lnf parts... why a stock head gasket? I was gonna run an sct copper or cometic... i figured the stack replacements wouldnt hold up well...
Thursday, January 31, 2013 11:26 PM
Stock has been proven that's what I'm even running on my fully built lsj drag motor it's good trust me and if Jeff doesn't have a head then I guess I'll let the one I got from him go

RIP Cpl Derek Kerns And Cpl Robby Reyes
24th MEU VMM-261 (REIN) V22 Crewchiefs
11 April 2012 Morocco (African Lion)
Thursday, January 31, 2013 11:59 PM
I can get them for around 100-200 around here so its not a huge deal.. would you change the valves as well? Zzp sells upgraded seals so ill buy those and the. Zzp springs and retainers im guessing lnf lash adjusters and stock rockers
Friday, February 01, 2013 12:45 AM
I am running the stock LSJ gasket as well. Supertech valves and springs, as well as the bronze valve guides.

Friday, February 01, 2013 1:18 AM
Ok stock as in gm dealership stock or like fel pro or victor r? Guessing gm stock but assuming at this point wont help haha
Friday, February 01, 2013 1:52 AM

Friday, February 01, 2013 4:03 PM
Got jeff to save me an lsj head and were gonna do my balance shaft delete also my rods and pistons came today so this is turning out to be a good day haha... all thats left is the springs gaskets bolts and the oil pump gears
Wednesday, February 06, 2013 10:39 PM
No one said angthing about replacing the stock valves rockers or lifters... i guess they are ok stock?
Thursday, February 07, 2013 1:28 AM
Stock valves should be ok unless you're shooting for the stars. They seem to hold up for the delta guys for the most part. On the hand...valves are so cheap, why not replace them?
As for the lash adjusters, your stuck with stock unless you want to go with bates solid lifters; in which case be prepared for alot of machining. Personally i think stock is fine unless you're running really aggressive cams

Thursday, February 07, 2013 2:37 AM
Valves are like $300 not so cheap haha.. and im planning on a 7k limiter stock cams... from what i read stock cams and boost seem towork well together... i bought 2 cores and bothe had the rockers all snapped out of place... so im a lil worried
Saturday, February 09, 2013 3:12 PM
I ran my completely stock L61 to over 300WHP, 16PSI and 12.50s in the quarter mile.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search