Ok guys put on your thinking caps. This one is tricky. 2.2 runs like crap - Page 2 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Ok guys put on your thinking caps. This one is tricky. 2.2 runs like crap
Friday, February 08, 2013 12:05 PM
Check valve seals!

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 8:17 PM
UPDATE UPDATE
So I think I might have figured it out. Halfway anyway.

I finally gathered the patiance to dive back into this thing. I did the leak down and compression is definitely getting past the rings. So, I think they are stuck from the gunk and sludge. Can't blame em. The car sat for a few years and nobody change he oil. So I'm gonna do what's called a piston soak. I bought sea foam and poured about 2 oz per cylinder down in. The idea is to rotate the engine by hand and let it sit over night to penetrate down ring by ring and it might help free them some.
While I was rotating the engine I saw the timing chain jerking like crazy a few times per revolution. It was bad!! Very loose. So I check the tensioner and it was pretty much Fubar. So I put the engine on TDC and checked the marks. The exhaust cam was pretty much at 10 o'clock but the intake cam was right around 3:30 ish. So at some point it jumped timing. I got a new tensioner and reset the marks so everything lined up. Rotated the engine again but same problem only worse. I could now see he chain jumping the sprocket a tooth every once in awhile. So I bought a new timing kit and compared chain lengths. The old chain had stretched by about 1/2-3/4 of a link. I don't know if that's a lot but I didn't like it!! So I replaced the whole kit and got another tensioner in the kit with a different design. I installed all that and once again rotated the engine. This time no load slapping and no jumping teeth!!!! It did jerk a little but no where near what it was. Probably because the tensioner didnt have oil pressure behind it.

I'm going to put it all back together tomorrow and see what I get.
Cross your fingers.
Tuesday, March 12, 2013 9:11 PM
I prefer B12 Chemtool for piston soaks. Its A LOT stronger than Seafoam. I basically is paint thinner and kerosene. If youre feeling froggy you can use an air compressor to blow the Seafoam through the rings by force.

You have to make sure you change the oil after it leaks into the crankcase. Its not good for the engine seals if you run it through the engine.

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 7:38 AM
I heard B12 chemtool was good to use but is there a specific one? I went in the parts store and there is a few variations I saw. Some in a spray bottle for carb and intake cleaner, a parts dip and a penetrating spray. I'm sure ill need to change the oil a few times In the next couple thousand miles anyway just to get some of the sludge out. I'll probably run a half a quart of trans fluid in it each time.
Friday, March 15, 2013 8:40 AM
So I got the car all back together with the new timing kit and wouldn't you know ? It runs fine. The timin must have been off the whole time. Took for a ride and the acceleration is great. Engine is still smudged up and the rings are probably still stuck a little but for the most part it's fine. The service light did come on bu that might be the bulb out or due for an oil change.
I might do another compression test though??
Friday, March 15, 2013 3:16 PM
Definitely worth it to do another compression test. It doesnt cost you anything.

Friday, March 15, 2013 3:17 PM
Try running some nice synthetic or high detergent dino like Rotella to help clean out the sludge slowly. Rotella is awesome because its designed for diesels so it has a stronger detergent package to help fit sooting that diesels like to have.

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 12:54 PM
mine had the same problem whenever it got cold one night. on the top of out rubber spring holder coil pack thing is your ignition control module. try replacing that because that was my problem. Also if that dosent work check your spark springs and make sure they are all good and clean.

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 12:57 PM
turns out i made it a little late to help

Saturday, April 06, 2013 10:53 AM
check your coil tower also they can arch out which will cause a missfire i had that problem with my car which brought up the p0300 code. also,try swapping injector postions and see if that doesnt change anyting.
Wednesday, May 01, 2013 10:52 PM
How's it running now? Change the oil yet?

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 10:58 PM
It was running great when I sold it. I didn't get to change the oil again but everything seemed fine. Plenty of power and no more hesitation. Timing chain fixed all the problems. It stretched. Piece of crap Chinese metal probably.

Oh well not my headache anymore. Thank god.

I appreciate everyone's help figuring this out!!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search