88' Sunbird GT motor, why so much hate? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
88' Sunbird GT motor, why so much hate?
Wednesday, January 30, 2013 9:33 AM

I'm new here and not positive if this is where it goes but answer my question and feel free to delete post.
So I've been telling a couple buddies that i bought an 88 sunbird GT turbo and so far all I've heard is the motor
is weak and it shouldn't even be turbo'd. Now is this true that the motor interals aren't as strong as they should
be or are they just talking sh!t? I've googled and looked around on here but I haven't come to find an answer I'm
happy with?

I understand every motor has a certain braking point and only so much boost can be applied before something
brakes or lets go. I just wanna know the limitations to what i have and know how far to really go reguarding boost, high RPM's and
just generally flooring it once and a while because come on, who doesn't like to get on it once and a while?

Thanks again and sorry if it's not in the right place!

Re: 88' Sunbird GT motor, why so much hate?
Wednesday, January 30, 2013 10:31 AM
The engine came with a turbo from the factory. Why would it not accept a turbo?

Perhaps asking a question would help?

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Wednesday, January 30, 2013 11:17 AM
Well thats what i was saying, but on the other hand some companies have made poor designs and i have seen a bunch of comments saying the motors aren't strong.
Wednesday, January 30, 2013 3:07 PM
You need new buddies. The 2.0 OHC doesn't have any issues as far as I've seen. None beyond the normal issues for a 20+ year old engine. The 2.0 OHV had reliability issues, but that's a completely different engine and they may be confusing the two of them.

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 3:45 PM
The only issue ive ever had with a old 2.0 ohc was the cam wore out basically. But the motor had alot of k on it and i dont think the previous owner knew where the oil went.
Wednesday, January 30, 2013 3:46 PM
yeah most of this somes from a "theyre all the same" mentality. Like my turbo dodges, the turbo 2.2 and 2.5s got better rods and forged cranks, hardened valves etc. But eveyyone still boxes them as the POS chrysler 4 cyls. But a lot of people confuse actual bad design with ease of repair and expense of parts. Mantapart used to make performance stuff for the, back in the day. Those engines had tiny turbos too.
Wednesday, January 30, 2013 6:50 PM
They are a OK car, I used to have a 87. Most of the info. You will want will be in the 2nd gen forum, some in the 1 st gen.

Jason

USACi =>146.9db
14.88 @ 90.73MPH =>GM Charger, Motor Mounts, Catback exhaust
Thursday, January 31, 2013 11:25 PM
Head gaskets were weak, boost probably didn't help with that but the turbo didnt last long either..mostly due to poor maintenance. And the crank keyways were known to break..but as for an 80's rubber band motor..not the worst built.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search