Camshaft gone to hell! - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Camshaft gone to hell!
Thursday, February 07, 2013 3:31 PM
LD9 really need changeble camshalft bearing!
i rebuilt mine a year ago ago and have a machine shop machine the block and head! they were suppose to check the cams to see if they where bent! the cams had a weird wear pattern and i didnt like the way it looked!
they checked it!
supposely everything checked out!
fast forward
now im f'ing replacing the timing set and the camshafts because they are out of round and knocked like a bitch!!!
thank god i have a spare motor to steal off the donor!
i love my Z24
let me know if you guys have had the same problem!!
picture added later

Re: Camshaft gone to hell!
Thursday, February 07, 2013 4:01 PM
was the alignment pin area cracked or damaged at all!

what kind of oil was used! was it ever ran low on oil!

are these LD9 cams or something else!

It's nice to be injected but I love being blown.
Thursday, February 07, 2013 4:27 PM
LD9 cams
always had correct amount of oil and pin where fine!
schaeffer oil 5-30
checked daily checks
i rebuilt it to a T!
i mean it may have been bend when i had a the first motor issue in highschool when she desided to throw the timing chain but i was told by the shop that it will never happen....... again....:/
happened 6 months later and bent the valves! he redid it again which knocked! i didnt like it
so i drove it to college and rebuilt it in class....... forgot valve to replace valve seal so im currentenly doing that now to find out the camshaft housing is crap and the cam is wraped!!!
Thursday, February 07, 2013 4:33 PM
well awesome! now would be the best time to do HO cams!

hopefully! nothing! more! is! damaged!

Thursday, February 07, 2013 4:35 PM
HO CAMS
i used a prode to see into the combusion camber and the piston rings walls looked great besides the carbon billed up! for the valve seals leaking
Thursday, February 07, 2013 4:48 PM
tell me more!
Thursday, February 07, 2013 5:44 PM
well, sir.... HO cams or "HIGH OUTPUT" cams come out of the 2.3 LG0 quad 4. you can still find them new if you look hard. they have melling part numbers. but if you cannot they are still available used. car-part.com lists lots of junkyards that have them. you just call them up and take it from there. otherwise if you look in the classifeds here, or on quad4forums.com you can find some. and ultimately if you STILL have not found any, get ahold of me and ill find some for you.

anyways, they come out at .410 lift and 212* of duration. this a very big jump from the stock LD9 cams. the LD9 has been proven over and over again to respond quite well to them and are definitely a great upgrade. boost included.

to do them RIGHT, you need to also run the matching HO valve springs/retainers. they are a direct swap for the stock LD9 stuff. as well as use the larger 35mm 2.3 lifters. these are available brand new.

to further the process to make them as LD9 friendly as possible you need to have the cam position sensor pad attached to the intake cam as well as cut the end of the intake cam off and have the LD9 power steering hex pressed into it to use the proper LD9 style power steering. (the 2.3 uses a pulley on the end of the cam to drive it's power steering)

and then the last thing you would do is have your LD9 intake cam tower bored out to house the larger lifters. as for the exhaust you merely need to locate any 87-94 2.3 exhaust cam tower. it already has the larger lifter bores and is a bolt on item.

you can run them without doing the spring upgrade but i do not recommend it.
you can run them with the stock 2.4 lifters but i do not recommend it.
you can run them with both 2.3 towers but then you lose your power steering and i do not recommend it.

Thursday, February 07, 2013 5:54 PM
hmmmm i might consider it after college is done and when my truck gets some rand r
Thursday, February 07, 2013 7:21 PM
bent camshafts? what the eff? in these motors?...
Friday, February 08, 2013 11:41 AM
Yes!!!!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search