lsj cams? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
lsj cams?
Tuesday, February 12, 2013 12:35 PM
I picked up my lsj head today and was wondering if i gotta use the l61 cams? I have the blockoff plates for the cams but if i use the lsj cams i can use the msd pro billet in the future... i plan to get the adjustable cam gears as well... not sure if the exhaust cam on the l61 has the hex cutout...

Re: lsj cams?
Tuesday, February 12, 2013 1:11 PM
Have you looked at the L61 head?
Your question would probably already be answered.

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 1:24 PM
I know the 2006 ss cams are equal. And others were staggered but i also read the posts about the cam profiles being the same just different timing... at this point im ready to just sell all these parts cause conflicting info makes forums useless..
Tuesday, February 12, 2013 2:31 PM
Failure to search causes conflicting info

RIP Cpl Derek Kerns And Cpl Robby Reyes
24th MEU VMM-261 (REIN) V22 Crewchiefs
11 April 2012 Morocco (African Lion)
Tuesday, February 12, 2013 3:07 PM
I did search both here and the ss and ion forums.. from what i read 2006 ss heads the cams are equal length... our cams are staggered, but have the same profile just different timing... all other lsj heads have staggered cams... so if the profiles are the same id just use the l61 timing set and be ok...
Tuesday, February 12, 2013 9:36 PM
ecotecnik wrote:I did search both here and the ss and ion forums.. from what i read 2006 ss heads the cams are equal length... our cams are staggered, but have the same profile just different timing... all other lsj heads have staggered cams... so if the profiles are the same id just use the l61 timing set and be ok...

are you going to be boosted?

if so, why would you want to time the cams to L61 spec?
a few more things...

- the timing set from one car to the next (chain, gears, etc) is identical. the only difference is on the crank shaft gears (same tooth count, but the physical shapes of them are different).
the gears meant for the crank have to match the crank. (LSJ to LSJ only. L61 to L61 only.)
the cam gears for non-VVT ecotecs are all the same P/N, even intake and exhaust... the gears are keyed so they only fit on the cams one way. you need 2 for a single engine, but the p/n is the same.

- the MSD distributors (assuming you can find any since they're long discontinued) is run off the intake cam, not the exhaust cam. the exhaust hex doesn't matter.

- if you use the L61 cams in the LSJ head, you will have an empty journal since the exhaust cam for the L61 is too short.

here, let me do it for you.

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 10:40 PM
I didnt wanna time them for the l61 spec... but assuming the gears are obviously what makes the timing different due to being in different positions, then just leave the gears alone on the cames and line up the timing marks just like normal right? I just dont wanna bend a valve by doing it wrong... im guessing also the lsj coil pack and igniting module are identicaland compatible with the stock l61 just different shape and fitment... idk this build stuff is confusing... like i said before im sorta sorry im getting involved with this now...no one around here knows anything about this engine...so its not like i can just send it out... i just dont want one stupid mistake to cost me my engine.. its safer to ask first...
Wednesday, February 13, 2013 12:48 AM
ecotecnik wrote:I didnt wanna time them for the l61 spec... but assuming the gears are obviously what makes the timing different due to being in different positions, then just leave the gears alone on the cames and line up the timing marks just like normal right? I just dont wanna bend a valve by doing it wrong... im guessing also the lsj coil pack and igniting module are identicaland compatible with the stock l61 just different shape and fitment... idk this build stuff is confusing... like i said before im sorta sorry im getting involved with this now...no one around here knows anything about this engine...so its not like i can just send it out... i just dont want one stupid mistake to cost me my engine.. its safer to ask first...

the ignition systems are in no way similar.

you can adapt the L61 ignition to work with the LSJ valve cover

or, use LSJ ignition and re-wire it to work with the Jbody electronics.

I can promise you that everything you're looking to do has been looked into and done by myself or others.

you said in another thread you don't want to mess with the top end or cams, etc.

IMO, just use the LSJ cams as is, and stock gears. DONE.

the choices you're making for your build are kind of contradictory. why waste your time with adjustable gears if you don't want to rev the engine out?
you don't want to swap cams, yet again, you're talking about adjustable gears...

furthermore, if you're boosting, you should start thinking about at the very least upgrading the valve springs to prevent any chance of valve float at high boost.

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 8:13 AM
I already bought springs... as far as the cam gears i just wondered if i needed them.. timing would be something i know absolutely nothing about... i did the eco swap and turbo settup without anyones help but now its a new game... as far as my post here i just didnt know if id have to buy cams for this head.. since most that do the head swap have aftermarket cams... and yes i dont plan to go past 7000... 7500 if i need to...but im also deleting the balance shafts so i should be safe at 7500...( only 7500 if i need to run the gear out) but im looking intotires to solve that problem... that the other post tho haha... ill have a video today after i take the cat to the vet... anyways i appreciate the help and that post was very helpful about the 2 heads... im trying to learn and the only way to learn is to read and ask...
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search