MR2 EHPS conversion - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
MR2 EHPS conversion
Monday, February 25, 2013 7:51 PM
Has anybody pulled this off on a J-body before?

The reason I ask is because I just won a pump on ebay that I will be retrofitting into HavBlue, and to my knowledge, this will be the first time an EHPS swap has been done on a J-body.

information and what not coming soon. I already have fittings to adapt to the steering rack.

Re: MR2 EHPS conversion
Monday, February 25, 2013 8:11 PM
Nice...

I was looking into this a while back but the price kinda scared me.

I was reading that you can also use pumps out of newer jeeps and durangos.
Tuesday, February 26, 2013 3:31 AM
I looked up most of the parts, but never did anything past that.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, February 26, 2013 10:56 AM
using a powersteering pump with brushes huh?? I have only known 2 people that did this and they both had to rebuild the motors in them within 2 years... outweighed the benefits of the swap because they saw single digit gains from it.... one was 3 hp and the other was under 2%

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 11:29 AM
I know fetter could benefit from this as he is going to be using the msd dizzy so unless he plans on running stock pump from the exhaust cam he would need something like this

RIP Cpl Derek Kerns And Cpl Robby Reyes
24th MEU VMM-261 (REIN) V22 Crewchiefs
11 April 2012 Morocco (African Lion)
Tuesday, February 26, 2013 1:26 PM
The newer style EHPS pumps are brushless
They are self contained.. No external parts. Controller, pump, and reservoir are all one unit.
They require no speed input for pump control (the logic slows the pump automatically when there is no load on the pump)

I'm doing it more for space concerns vs performance gain

Fetter could always run a normal belt driven ps pump in the a/c location off the serpentine belt, brackets exist to do such.

The new school EHPS pumps are a worth while swap. The old ones need a separate computer, steering angle sensor, etc... Too much trouble IMO.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 1:59 PM
Why wouldnt you just delete it?
Im a little confused on this one.
You get much more road feel with no PS.
Tuesday, February 26, 2013 2:27 PM
MillerBilt Racing wrote:I know fetter could benefit from this as he is going to be using the msd dizzy so unless he plans on running stock pump from the exhaust cam he would need something like this

Last I knew he was deleting it since its a drag car.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 3:20 PM
I did look into this a little bit when I was looking at supercharging my 2200. Definitely interested to see how this works out.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 4:16 PM
A power assisted j-body rack without the pump is hard to steer. Anybody ever retro fitted another cars rack?

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Tuesday, February 26, 2013 4:29 PM
Bobby Higgins wrote:Why wouldnt you just delete it?
Im a little confused on this one.
You get much more road feel with no PS.

because this is a street car, not a race car.

I am keeping A/C, I am keeping PS.

I love manual brakes, but I've driven a Jbody with a looped steering rack (eliminated pump) and it sucks. It's ok at speed, but a few things:

1) torque steer is hard to fight
2) bump steer is hard to fight
3) I can't comfortably drive the car with one hand.

I'm a little dude, I only weigh 120lbs soaking wet. I'm not looking to make the car impossible to drive. I like having power assist. I want to be able to cruise and steer comfortably with one hand, or turn easily in parking lots.

I've done the "less is more" thing with the skwirl. And while on the outside it seems cool, from a DD practicality stand point, it makes the car a chore to drive and sucks all the fun out of it.

the only way I'd go manual steering is with a manual rack, and I don't feel like having to turn the wheel 7 times from lock to lock.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 5:01 PM
Start eating those Wheaties Haha.

Ive heard of a lot of guys using the EHPS systems on rock crawlers. Maybe theres some more info for you on Pirate4x4 or something of the like.

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 7:30 AM
DaFlyinSkwirl (Pj) wrote:The newer style EHPS pumps are brushless
They are self contained.. No external parts. Controller, pump, and reservoir are all one unit.
They require no speed input for pump control (the logic slows the pump automatically when there is no load on the pump)

I'm doing it more for space concerns vs performance gain

Fetter could always run a normal belt driven ps pump in the a/c location off the serpentine belt, brackets exist to do such.

The new school EHPS pumps are a worth while swap. The old ones need a separate computer, steering angle sensor, etc... Too much trouble IMO.

I was looking at the older setups. This would be perfect for when I swap my LG0 in.

Added for more info...
http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthread.php/power-steering-using-toyota-mr2-ehps-19505.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, February 27, 2013 7:52 AM

PRND321 Till I DIE
Wednesday, February 27, 2013 8:01 AM
http://www.evalbum.com/tech/mr2_powersteering.html

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2528249

Sorry PJ, but figured all this could help out.

Attachments
Pin Out Ladeled.JPG (52k)

PRND321 Till I DIE
Wednesday, February 27, 2013 10:58 AM
i had no idea it was still a hydro system, i like this idea.

ʇı ɹǝʍo7 | ǝcoMonstǝrs

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 1:40 PM
Got the pump today.

It's a bit large, but could easily be hidden in the fender/ bumper area. My reservoir return is cracked, but nothing major. It's held on by a worm clamp.

Super stoked.

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 1:53 PM
Very interesting PJ.

I'd be interested in this, I have issues with my reservoir leaking fluid if I rev to 7500rpm consistently.

I think its too fast for the pump to spin and it pressurizes the reservoir, after a track day I need to take a rag to it and the valve cover.

That and its huge and always in the way of everything.

I'll be checking back in here for sure.

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 5:53 PM
I have contemplated doing this for 5 years or so. If im not mistaken thats one of the newer design pumps. The slightly older ones(that dont have the reservoir attached) that everyone always looked at before would run full blast at all time because they dont have the ecu to detect if your turning and hooking one up was seemingly impossible. This in turn makes for extra light steering at high speeds, something I dont like the sound of. That one however has the ecu built in and cross reverences vss signal and the pressure it feels when you turn the wheel.

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 6:43 PM
I've thought about doing this swap.... I guess I'll be watching this thread.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Wednesday, February 27, 2013 10:16 PM
Zs Z wrote:I have contemplated doing this for 5 years or so. If im not mistaken thats one of the newer design pumps. The slightly older ones(that dont have the reservoir attached) that everyone always looked at before would run full blast at all time because they dont have the ecu to detect if your turning and hooking one up was seemingly impossible. This in turn makes for extra light steering at high speeds, something I dont like the sound of. That one however has the ecu built in and cross reverences vss signal and the pressure it feels when you turn the wheel.

you mean all the stuff I already said? yea. this is why I wanted to go with the 00-05 MR2 pump.

after mocking the pump up in the fender well areas behind the headlights, I'm beginning to think about mounting the pump in the rear of the car and running lines up to the steering rack.

Thursday, February 28, 2013 12:27 AM
I picked a location for the pump to be mounted.

I'm scavenging the fittings I have to adapt the factory steering rack to -AN lines.

I just ordered the fitting I need to adapt the pump pressure outlet to -AN lines.

going to come together very soon. By mounting the pump in the rear of the car, I will be keeping the space in my fenders/bumper clear for charge pipes.

get excited people, this will be coming together in the very near future.

Thursday, February 28, 2013 5:54 AM
bump for a great idea and a badass behind the steering wheel its going to grace.

oh, and another bump for wanting to keep power steering. EF looped racks right in the ass.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, February 28, 2013 12:02 PM

It's nice to be injected but I love being blown.
Thursday, February 28, 2013 6:08 AM
DaFlyinSkwirl (Pj) wrote:
Zs Z wrote:I have contemplated doing this for 5 years or so. If im not mistaken thats one of the newer design pumps. The slightly older ones(that dont have the reservoir attached) that everyone always looked at before would run full blast at all time because they dont have the ecu to detect if your turning and hooking one up was seemingly impossible. This in turn makes for extra light steering at high speeds, something I dont like the sound of. That one however has the ecu built in and cross reverences vss signal and the pressure it feels when you turn the wheel.

you mean all the stuff I already said? yea. this is why I wanted to go with the 00-05 MR2 pump.

after mocking the pump up in the fender well areas behind the headlights, I'm beginning to think about mounting the pump in the rear of the car and running lines up to the steering rack.

Oops that was a reading fail, I missed quite a few posts. I look forward to seeing the progress. I like the trunk mount idea.

Thursday, February 28, 2013 8:02 AM
I am really excited to see this done!

BeardLife / Club Awesome Reject Blog
Thursday, February 28, 2013 10:46 AM
glad someone is doing this. I never got the funds together to do this when I threw the W41 cams in my 2.4. I just dealt with the no power steering cuz I was a poor college kid

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search