1996 2.2L OHV Performance options? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
1996 2.2L OHV Performance options?
Friday, February 01, 2013 7:43 AM
I have a 1996 Cavalier 2.2L OHV with a 5-speed tranny. Nothing real special done to it, a used unknown brand header, high flow cat, and performance muffler and a cheap cold air filter to stock tubing(how i bought it), and thats about it. I was curious if there was some sort of a head swap i could do that would almost be a direct fit? or really any stock 2.2L parts from other years that would bolt right on my year for a few extra HP. Just kind of snooping around looking for possible performace ideas. I don't expect to make 200WHP or anything stupid like that from an L4. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

"If I'm not back in 5 minutes...just wait longer"

Re: 1996 2.2L OHV Performance options?
Friday, February 01, 2013 3:52 PM
Killer Cavi wrote:I have a 1996 Cavalier 2.2L OHV with a 5-speed tranny. Nothing real special done to it, a used unknown brand header, high flow cat, and performance muffler and a cheap cold air filter to stock tubing(how i bought it), and thats about it. I was curious if there was some sort of a head swap i could do that would almost be a direct fit? or really any stock 2.2L parts from other years that would bolt right on my year for a few extra HP. Just kind of snooping around looking for possible performace ideas. I don't expect to make 200WHP or anything stupid like that from an L4. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
You could swap on a 98+ head, but it would result in something like ~7:1 compression
You could swap in 98+ pistons, but you'd have to have it tuned very well and run premium gas.
Best bang for your buck would be to send out your cam (or a spare stock cam) and have it ground to a more aggressive profile. You can pull this off for <$200 and have plenty of fun (especially with a tune).

fortune cookie say: better a delay than a disaster
Friday, February 01, 2013 9:22 PM
how would he tune the 96 ecu? curious minds want to know

Sunday, February 03, 2013 11:30 AM
The older heads arent any better? Found myself a 91 head is why im asking

"If I'm not back in 5 minutes...just wait longer"
Monday, February 04, 2013 11:23 AM
Believe it or not, if my understanding from others is correct 97+ have to have the "Re-flash" but his 96 should be able to have a PChip and controller, and if I am wrong I am sure someone will make a large point as to prevent a massive waste of money/mistake. Again pretty sure, but it's one of those things I read in passing.

As far as what can you do to get a little more out of it? I personally when getting a car that someone else modded do the basic valve clean, port&polish, weld exhaust if needed, when I removed my catcon, which I'm not advocating, I got better gas mileage, less RPM at highway speeds, and no more sloppy starts. If you haven't changed the air filter I would and make sure the turbo system is sealed. Because of who I am I would reseal all the pressure points in the motor affected by the intake mods, these blocks are aluminum if a head gasket goes ya feel? A clean motor and sealed system is a great way to asses what you REALLY started with and helps it to last of course. And if you do decide to remove the catcon, I used a simulator (for off road use only of course) and it took care of all my codes actually caused by the rear 02 sensor if your interested it was only $40.

Z doesn't mean last, it just lapped A.
Monday, February 04, 2013 5:13 PM
VTLoki wrote:how would he tune the 96 ecu? curious minds want to know
He would need a stand-alone like Megasquirt, and a county that doesn't scan OBDII computers
Killer Cavi wrote:The older heads arent any better? Found myself a 91 head is why im asking
I think that has 8mm valve stems (and maybe no EGR?), but I'd consider it a downgrade (valves are heavier, and you're not likely to need the extra strength).

Saturday, February 09, 2013 5:11 PM
OHV notec wrote:You could swap on a 98+ head, but it would result in something like ~7:1 compression

Sounds like the way to go for my '94 S-truck. 3200lb curb-weight, automatic w/0.70:1 overdrive & 4.10-FDR, EGR & aluminum head w/8.89:1 compression, yet because of a lack of a knock-sensor... I was forced to run a minimum of 90 points of octane to keep it from "bucking" when I'd push it above 55mph driving into the wind.

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Tuesday, February 12, 2013 4:54 PM
Whenever I see a question of what LN2 parts will mix/match, and what years came with what, I never see this link posted-

2.2 Growing Pains

It has just about all the info you could need about the LN2 for what you're asking.

Thursday, February 14, 2013 11:03 AM
James Cahill wrote:Whenever I see a question of what LN2 parts will mix/match, and what years came with what, I never see this link posted-

2.2 Growing Pains

It has just about all the info you could need about the LN2 for what you're asking.
Agreed. I've certainly used that page at least a hundred times

Dimer-that is just too low without forced induction...

Thursday, February 14, 2013 11:39 AM
James Cahill wrote:Whenever I see a question of what LN2 parts will mix/match, and what years came with what, I never see this link posted-

2.2 Growing Pains

Just a copy of this article in Engine Builder Magazine:
http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Item/2437/rebuilding_the_chevy_22l_engine.aspx?MostRead=1

dennis
Tuesday, March 05, 2013 9:26 AM
I've got an LN2 Corsica that I've been fixing up and modifying, in doing so I've researched a few options for performance. I've already got 1.6 rockers and did my own headwork, plus a header into a factory replacement 2" exhaust with performance muffler (I was going for simplicity). In the future, I plan on running a regrind or IPP/CCW camshaft, stronger valve springs, doing my own tune (I'm OBD-I and still have a few options) and running a turbo sometime down the road.

The trouble with the LN2 is that there was zero aftermarket performance support for them, so you do have to work a little harder to make things work for the engine. IPP/CCW have started to release their own products that fill in the gap for us. I haven't heard much on their quality or customer service yet, but I don't see them getting high amounts of customers anyway, just by working with an engine that hasn't been made in over a decade.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
1995 Corsica and a bunch of trucks too...

Wednesday, March 06, 2013 9:12 AM
I know CCW just came out with an Adapter Plate about a month ago that lets you run a '98-03 intake manifold, throttle body, and injectors on a '94-97 engine for about $175 bucks I think. Has anyone bought it yet? It's here: http://www.chevycavalierworld.com/dts2-adapterplates.php

- JB
Wednesday, March 06, 2013 2:19 PM
Since the GM10-platform is heavier than the J-car, I recommend going with a cam that helps increase low-end torque. Check the 9th posting found here & you'll see what I mean: MadJack's LN2 Cam Spec Guideleines

Since the S-truck is much heavier than even the Corsica, and he recommends going with a cam of these specs for the for the Series-I ('92-'97) LN2 in a S-truck app, I'm sure this will certainly help your GM10-platform "wake-up & get-a-movin'!".

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Thursday, March 07, 2013 8:28 AM
Awesome info on LN2 cam options!!! It's all been bookmarked for future reference.

I remember a time when I absolutely hated these engines, now I'm planning on buying multiple spares to build up. I'm hoping to build a low-boost turbo stroker w/head and main studs. As usual, I will overbuild and go wayyyyy over budget, but that's for a few months from now.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
1995 Corsica and a bunch of trucks too...
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search