2.2 ln2 carb - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.2 ln2 carb
Tuesday, September 11, 2012 10:21 PM
need to change my injected 2.2 95 sunfire into a carb motor how can i do this? this is per rules at a circle track i can run pretty much what ever else i want internally as well as what ever 2bbl carb so what i really need is how do i do this

Re: 2.2 ln2 carb
Wednesday, September 12, 2012 9:13 AM
The easiest way would be to adapt a 1990 2.2 intake manifold. They were TBI. The bolt holes may even line up with some 2 barrel carbs. Maybe off a 305. I remember a guy building his own intake manifold for a carb years back too.

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 1:39 PM
Look for Rich Grayo in the members section. If I remember correctly he posted pictures of his setup and it looked just like what you're looking for.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, September 12, 2012 7:41 PM
looks like i need to hit the junk yard and look around cant find any post that say much about it i guess the good thing is i can 12:1 this beast and cam it and just adjust the carb but how will i get spark and so on? sorry for the dumb questions
Friday, September 14, 2012 9:32 AM
Spark should still work. Should still work providing the ICM has power, regardless if there's an ECM present or not.... though you'd have 0 advance.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Friday, September 14, 2012 9:39 AM
I think Rich found a distributor to stuff in where the cam sensor was. I have no idea how he made all of that work, you'd have to ask him.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Saturday, October 20, 2012 9:15 AM
ok so i have an idea 2.2 tbi intake open it up and have a 1" spacer welded to it to adapt a 2300 holley (350cfm) to it using stock setup for spark and what not but there is the next issue with timing advance can i get away with running an adjustable timing gear to get advance?
Saturday, October 20, 2012 2:55 PM
Y3llowCav (aka Ryan Pitt) wrote:Look for Rich Grayo in the members section. If I remember correctly he posted pictures of his setup and it looked just like what you're looking for.

wasnt me... it was one of the circle track guys.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Saturday, October 20, 2012 3:27 PM
Rich Grayo Jr. wrote:
Y3llowCav (aka Ryan Pitt) wrote:Look for Rich Grayo in the members section. If I remember correctly he posted pictures of his setup and it looked just like what you're looking for.

wasnt me... it was one of the circle track guys.

Blast.....sorry for putting you on the spot. Haha.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Sunday, October 21, 2012 11:39 AM
Bob Guptill has a carb setup.

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Sunday, October 21, 2012 12:23 PM
^yup. Matt got it.

Sunday, October 21, 2012 5:39 PM
yep i pmed him aswell ive read threw a thread of his but wonder if i can run the ecu still just with the carb?
Monday, October 22, 2012 1:15 AM
Yeah, Bob's the one you want to learn from in this situation... He's done & learned stuff with the LN2 that many of us are still surprised over.

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Monday, October 22, 2012 1:21 AM
You know what? If you have a port in the manifold for the MAP to feed from, and the carb can be fitted with a TPS (There's some argument over which the ECM reads for spark-timing controlin the case of the LN2) then it's just a matter of dealing with the EGOS, the IAT & the knock-sensor how you want & it all should be fine... Minus for the MIL/SES maybe being on.

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Monday, December 10, 2012 6:45 PM
pretty sure i have this all figured out now going to run a 89 cavy tbi head and intake run a 2 barrel adapter and running a holley 2300 350cfm carb hooking up all the sensors knock crank map etc etc and making a bracket to run the tps off the carb logistically this should work out pretty well because everything is running the same as if it were a stock car minus no injectors but the question here is what is the computer going to do with the 11.5 to one compression and a cam profiled for racing? obviously ill be controlling the fuel I assume the computer just will have a base timing as if it were stock?
Tuesday, December 11, 2012 11:14 PM
Given from what I've read--in service manuals--the '95 LN2 does include a knock-sensor... And with that far-higher than stock compression, unless you re-map the spark-advance curves you might be butting up-against whatever the factory mapping was, which will be picked-up by the KS--unless you decrease it's sensitivity--and force spark-retardation as the system is programmed to allow. Plus, below that you'll have incorrect spark-timing for proper operation--keeping the engine running--while at idle & low-RPMs.

BTW: The trigger-wheel for the crank-position sensor is integrally cast with the crankshaft itself... So there is no-way to adjust it. In-fact, there isn't even an adjustable camshaft timing-chain set. (Us LN2 guys really get the short-end when it comes to mass-produced aftermarket performance-parts) And the guys out there--in circle-track racing--that have fabricated such a setup aren't to divulging when it comes to self-conceived secrets that give them a performance advantage. So forget any ideas of going that route.

However, there is one possible way to go... if your class-rules allow it: Others here have created & made available for mass-production a trigger-wheel that mounts to to the front of the crank-pulley, and it uses notches set in the same positions as on the integral trigger-wheel. Many have employed it in Ecotec build-ups where using the factory trigger-wheel--while still using the factory ECM--wasn't an option, and it can be done on the LN2 as well... If you can fabricate a [adjustable] mount for pickup (Crank-position sensor).

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Wednesday, December 12, 2012 3:22 PM
Ipp has ajustable cam gear for $150. now
Wednesday, December 12, 2012 3:35 PM
mike bisbee wrote:Ipp has ajustable cam gear for $150. now

Interesting... Wonder how the fitment is.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Thursday, December 13, 2012 2:38 AM
Nice... Now let's see them make it in a easy-to-install (No machining required!), double-roller design.

BTW: Anyone click on ome of those links to other pages there? Looks like someone finally got the right ideas about how to do things... Like make a "drop-in" stroker-crank kit that works properly!

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Thursday, December 13, 2012 9:05 AM
car will be on 110 octane so knock shouldn't be there and assuming jetting is correct......how much of an impact will that cam gear make? ive done many sbc builds assuming cam advance will be the same in this as a sbc? assuming no knock is detected all the sensors should operate as normal right? besides the obvious cel and another thing is i also have a holley 500cfm 2 barrel but from the calculations ive done it seems the 350 will be better suited
Sunday, March 10, 2013 5:00 PM
bump any more ideas??

Monday, March 11, 2013 7:57 PM
You know what? Try this idea on for size:

Before TBI, carbs with built-in TPS were employed. Their operation... and system operation... worked in somewhat of the same manner as TBI, only instead of pressurizing the fuel to be metered by a solenoid controlled by the ECM, it relied on the engine's intake-manifold vacuum pressure drop & a ECM controlled solenoid attached atop a metering rod--like found in Carter & Rochester carbs--that cycled [like an injector] to control fuel-mixture. Amongst the models made this way are a Rochester Dual-Jet with a M/N that begins with an "E". These were commonly found on pre-'86 smaller displacement V-6 engines, as well as the smaller displacement Oldsmobile V-8s--namely, the 260--made from late-1980 thru '87. And in '81, the gasoline-fueled Chevettes & Pontiac 1000s used a variant based on the Holley 5200-series carb.

If the resistance of the metering-control solenoid is the same as that of of a TBI injector, then it's just a matter of a little physical fine-tuning of the carb's mechanical systems (main-jet size, accelerator-pump sizing & timing, etc....) and a bit of ECM programming magic... along with fabbing a manifold to mount it to... to make such a setup work.

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search