want something different out of a muffler, sugestions? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
want something different out of a muffler, sugestions?
Saturday, March 23, 2013 6:10 PM
ok, wellll.... its an L61 auto LSS, looking into getting all new exuast, only problem is, its automatic and i think that 4 cyl autos sound bad with loud exhuast unless its being ran hard,....

so what i was looking for is a high flow muffler thats now loud, but can be heard subtly. but not enough to turn heads if that makes any sence, i wana hear it if i have the windows down but i dont want it echoing off of buildings like my 00 LD9 was (that was awsome but it was also manual)

so what would you suggest that would get the most performance out of it yet still not be really loud? i dont mind noise, but, dont want rediculously loud and DEFINATLY DO NOT WANT that raspy high pitched honda sound that every ricer around here sounds like, a lawnmower.....bleh

iv heard vibrants on a cobalt before but 2500-4000 it was REALLY RASPY and sounded horrible, i want it to sound good through the whole RPM range

sorry so many questions im still new to 4 cylinders always had 80s sbc chevys and second gen v6 cavys

John Lenko wrote: It is bad. Stop. Now. Bad. Bad bad. Bad bad bad.

...j

Re: want something different out of a muffler, sugestions?
Saturday, March 23, 2013 6:11 PM
also need a sugesstion for a high flow catalytic converter to go with pacesetter headers

...j

Saturday, March 23, 2013 7:44 PM
I hate how most cobalts sounds on youtube...go with a magnaflow cat, longest glasspack you can fit (takes out raspiness), and i went with a dynomax super turbo 2.5 in and out the longer version. The shorter one was too loud for me. It isnt raspy at all, give a nice growl in park with a little throttle. I think a lot of guys arond here so with thunderbolts? Cat too

Saturday, March 23, 2013 7:59 PM
I would suggest either a Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler or a Borla Pro-XS muffler, that should give you your sound when on WOT, but still be extremely mild under normal driving.

2009 Ford Mustang V6
Saturday, March 23, 2013 8:14 PM
Saturday, March 23, 2013 11:53 PM
Id have to say x2 on the Borla-Pro XS muffler.
Im running it with a full 2.5" exhaust, high flow cat (hollowed out), 28" resonator, and an LSJ Pace Setter header.

sounds great

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Sunday, March 24, 2013 3:31 AM
Also look into the cobalt ss muffler, sounds pretty decent, quiet at idle and opens up with rpm, and has been shown to flow the same as higher end aftermarkets.

There are a few different exhaust threads running around here, search for em and listen to exhaust clips on YouTube.... words can only go so far on the forums, as far as exhaust goes its up to your ears to decide what you want.

Have a nice day.
Sunday, March 24, 2013 2:52 PM
ok thanks guys, so leme get this right, the longer the muffler the less rasp? the larger the pipes the deeper the tone?

i know this is gona sound dumb but has anyone used DC sports or 3a racing? i had goten a 3a for free so i tossed on my 92 2.2 not caring what it sounded like and honestly it sounded decent, no rasp at all, decent mild tone, but oh my god did it drone on the highway

as far as sound, i know everyone likes something different, but yes youtube has ALOT of vids, but mostly the sound quality is crap and it sounds different in person

i was just seeing your sugestions and it looks like i was on the right path i was thinking magnaflow or borla

HOWEVER i had a magnaflow muffler on my 2.4 and it SOUDNED LIKE GARBAGE, extreme amount of rasp between 28-3800 RPMS, it was GREAT under that

and luke u said something about a glass pack? do you mean like a magnaflow one or a cherry bomb?

soo, in order, header, down pipe, cat, glass pack, pipe over axle, muffler, tip? correct?

...j

Sunday, March 24, 2013 3:17 PM
Longer the muffler the more quiet it will be. The glasspack takes out the rasp.
header, down pipe, flex pipe, cat, glass pack, pipe over axle, muffler, tip

Sunday, March 24, 2013 3:49 PM
youll want some kind of resonator in line before a cobalt ss muffler, thats for damn sure. mine sounds like absolute poo withiout the cat and resonator.

It's nice to be injected but I love being blown.
Sunday, March 24, 2013 10:23 PM
I run a 20 or 22" Silver line resonator, Dynamax Super turbo muffler, and whether 2.5" cat the shop slapped on. Pacesetter lsj header, 2.5" stainless pipe. Absolutely love it. Nice low and subtle growl at idle and cruising, no raspiness, and has a good solid tone at WOT. Loud enough to stand out, but quiet enough that I can easily hear my blower whine without being drowned out

Sunday, March 24, 2013 11:18 PM
yeah heres mine when I had it all installed I think march of last year right before my s/c setup went in... (no flex pipe, they used the spring bolts that came with my header)

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search