quick question - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
quick question
Monday, March 25, 2013 3:30 PM
I have already done a lot if research and I have not been able to find anything that answers my question directly. I have a 2000 cavalier with the 2200 engine in it and i'm pretty sure the 4t40e transmission. Im going to do the 3800 swap and yes I have already read http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=30&i=48579&t=48579 my question is can I use the engine/harness and PCM out of a 1998 pontiac grand prix, use after market guages and not have to use HPTuner on the pcm since (from what iv read) it does not have the VATS and since im going to use the auto trans I can keep the trans info on the PCM? Any help would be great.

Thanks!

Re: quick question
Monday, March 25, 2013 4:13 PM
You would have to modify the engine bay to fit the 4T65E trans as the Grand Prix PCM won't shift a 4T40E trans properly (or 5-speed swap), and you still have to incorporate the Grand Prix engine harness into the J-body fuse block and C100 plug.

Monday, March 25, 2013 7:04 PM
That's fine. I'm more then willing to do some moving of mounts and welding a sub frame ect. I was thinking about just pulling the fuse block from the GP when I pulled everything and use that if I could figure it out. But would I be able to just use the stock 98 grand prix PCM without having to use HPTuners?
Monday, March 25, 2013 7:41 PM
The junction block for the Grand Prix is run quiet a bit differently than for our cars, it runs basically everything forward of the dash, where ours only runs the engine. I don't know what all is involved in rewiring the Grand Prix junction block, I just ran it though the J-body block, but you would still have to figure out how to wire in the C100 plug, as the Grand Prix uses 3 smaller plugs to connect to the dash harness

With the transmission, I believe its a little more than welding up a subframe and mounts for it, I think you have to widen the engine bay in spots. But with the Grand Prix engine, transmission, PCM, engine wiring, (possibly the Grand Prix brake control module) and aftermarket gauges, it should run without HPT.

There are several people on here that could probably tell you everything you need to know in detail.

Monday, March 25, 2013 8:07 PM
Alright I will just use the J-Body fuse block if it's easier. I figured it would require a bit more then just a sub frame since the engine is much larger and would move everything around.
The C100 looks easy enough.

Would you happen to know who would be best to talk to? I have looked around but I can't figure where to start.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search