New member, first post, interested in the 3400 swap on a pre 00 sunfire - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
New member, first post, interested in the 3400 swap on a pre 00 sunfire
Friday, March 29, 2013 3:55 PM
Hello everyone!
I've been cruising JBO for about a month now reading posts on various information regarding the 3rd gen jbodys.
I have been in possession of my 98 sunfire for about 6 months now and I'm honestly starting to get bored of it. It is equipped with the 2200 engine in a 5 speed. I was going to get rid of it but my girlfriend really likes the car and wants me to keep it so I have been contemplating doing a bit of work to it. From what information I have gathered the 2.2 is rather useless unless you turbocharge it and even at that your still looking at some serious modifications to get above the 200hp mark. So in my travels across the forums I ran into a few interesting posts regarding the 3.4 v6 swap. Now from what I've gathered from reading posts I should be looking into obtaining a post 00 3.4 because they have seemed to sort out the intake gasket problem. I also need the wiring harness and ecu from the donor car. I know the clutch should be replaced as well as the flywheel. Various hoses fittings and lines to plumb the motor and some spacers for the engine mounts. My curiosity and confusion happen around the wiring part of this swap. I've read that there is different ways to wire the car and I know the ecu needs to be flashed and codes deleted using hptuners or similar. I am just very uneducated on piggybacking the ecu to my current one and I really have no idea how to go about splicing wires. If someone could give me some Information on what wires I would need to connect together in order to make the engine run off of the donors ecu and my gauges, lights, ect. To run off the current ecu I would really appreciate it.
Thankyou

Re: New member, first post, interested in the 3400 swap on a pre 00 sunfire
Friday, March 29, 2013 5:37 PM
good fawkin luck buddy no one will tell you what wires to hook together theres more to it then that it takes about 8 hours to make a harness and that when you know what your doin thats from the point of 2 harnesses out of the cars to having them merged and re-loomed and you think were gonna tell you a how to over the internet
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

not happening every harness from every car is different. a harness from a 98 grand prix to a 98 regal has 2 wires that are different so we can't make a how to cause theres too many combos out there to make

JBO since July 30, 2001
Friday, March 29, 2013 5:51 PM
Maybe there is a bit of a mis-communication. I'm not asking for specific wire colours to specific wire colours, I merely need to know which components need to be interlaced between ecus for them to run sequentially with each other. For example power and ground are 2 that would need to be interlaced. I just want to know what components need to be connected for them to both run
Sunday, March 31, 2013 9:47 PM
My two cents about this would be to get a 94 or older 3.1 or 2.8 cavalier/sunbird/whatever parts car for wiring harness, motor mounts and transmission if you want a stronger one. I've seen a 3.4 98 cavalier done this way. Take motor wiring harness and use it, get computer chip burnt off v6z24(superdave works good,), make custom front mount and basically do a 2nd gen 3.4 swap in a third gen. Apparently the v6 mounts can easily be used from a 2nd gen in a third gen. Honestly I have no idea because I'm not really into third gens but when I was looking up 3400 swap stuff when I did mine in my 90 I came across a thread of a third gen guy doing this. Also, buy a newer 3400 but older fuel rail(if I remember correctly). .. If I'm wrong don't hate because like I said, I don't know third gen stuff well, but something to research/think about
Monday, April 01, 2013 7:52 AM
Here is what I'd do. Go find something with a little more power. Like a Camaro, or Firebird. Then give the sunfire to your GF. She'll make it worth your while.
Tuesday, April 02, 2013 1:25 AM
Quote:

. I am just very uneducated on piggybacking the ecu to my current one and I really have no idea how to go about splicing wires.

Let me make it simple. If you can't LOOK at the wiring diagrams for the 2 cars that you're using components from then go about splicing them together, this swap isn't really for you.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search