power is randomly cutting out 97 2.2 cavalier - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
power is randomly cutting out 97 2.2 cavalier
Sunday, April 07, 2013 6:04 PM
Having trouble with my 2.2 cavalier it randomly dies. Once I was sitting at a light and I didnt even notice it died until I went to go then about 5 minutes later it died when I was driving through a parking lot. So I got it home found a bad plug wire sp I replaced them and it seemed fine. A few minutes ago I went to the store and it cut out around a corner and I lost power but it stayed running and cleared up. This happens randomly, I was wondering if any one had any ideas im going to try a new fuel filter tomorrow but any other ideas would be great thanks...

Looking for 2.2ohv intake and header.....PM me

Re: power is randomly cutting out 97 2.2 cavalier
Tuesday, April 09, 2013 9:56 PM
I had something very similar happen to my 1996 2.2 cavalier. I would drive smooth down the highway, but it would cut out, and the car would jump, but would come back on. shut it off in a kwik trip, and after i came back out(3 minutes later), it wouldnt start for about 10 minutes. Turns out, there was a short in one of the wires going to the crankshaft position sensor. previous owner had it cut, and rewired together with electrical tape...smh. i rewired it, and i havn't had a problem since. I would check that, or even change your crank sensor. The 1997 2.2 crank sensors are only $10, its worth changing if you can get it out without breaking it off the block. 1996 2.2 crank sensors are over $100, but they're easier to get out of the block.
Just my .02¢

"If I'm not back in 5 minutes...just wait longer"
Friday, April 26, 2013 8:29 PM
Engine-harness related "hiccups" with OBD-II/LN2 setups seem a little common... Lord knows my "Double-Deuce'd" '99 S-truck is either having troubles with the TPS or suffering through a damp-overnight, cold-start situation that's the result of wild misfirings. The latter has me fighting to start it, working the pedal the whole time, only to have it essentially run on half its cylinders until it's fully warmed-up & enough heat has soaked into what's under the hood to dry it out. The immediate "all-is-well" response to hitting just the harness at the PCM w/"wire-dryer", then trying at starting it [on one of those mornings] confirmed fears of the engine-management harness being at-fault... Especially after already having the PCM replaced at a dealer.

I'll be getting & installing a [used] replacement harness next-month.

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Sunday, April 28, 2013 7:30 PM
Ign switches are also very common on these...pull the covers off the steering column (only three screws) and tap the ign swith lightly with a screwdriver several times with the engine running. If it stumbles its prob bad. U shouldnt have to tap very hard
Friday, May 03, 2013 9:16 PM
You need an ignition module...

C:\Users\Phillip\Pictures
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search