custom cat-back from pre bent pipes, whos done it??? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
custom cat-back from pre bent pipes, whos done it???
Monday, April 15, 2013 1:17 AM
I'm interested if anyone has any information of what certain bends, cuts and measurements are needed to make a 3" cat back from pre-bent pipes from summit. (To make it fit like stock)

If any one has done it, what sections of pipe did they need? U bend, J bend, 30 deg, etc...
Info or builds would be much appreciated.

--Eric

I roll on steelies. Work-in-progress daily-sleeper potential.
http://www.j-body.org/classifieds/engine/60493/

Re: custom cat-back from pre bent pipes, whos done it???
Monday, April 15, 2013 2:08 AM
I don't have any measurements but I've made a few exhaust systems.

Mandrel Exhaust Systems makes some pre-bent sections

I bought their 3" cat-back system for my car and welded on my own down and mid pipes, added a resonator, and my own muffler.

I was not really pleased with the stuff I got with the kit.
it's marketed as a "cat-back" yet, there is no flange that matches our factory cat.

it didn't bother me much since I did my entire exhaust at the same time
however, their pre-bent section under the gas tank and over the axle were not a direct fit.

I had to cut it and make an extension in order to have acceptable clearance over the torsion beam and still have decent tuck under the car.

overall, it wasn't bad, but it is not a 'bolt-on' system IMO

(I got the single tubing kit in 3" stainless steel)

http://www.mandrelexhaustsystems.com/servlet/the-Car-Exhaust-cln-Chevrolet-cln-95-dsh-05-Chevy-Cavalier/Categories

Monday, April 15, 2013 5:11 AM
I got the MES 2.5" kit and it wasnt bad and did include a flange to meet up with the cat.

That being said the hangers they included didnt make sense and I bought my own.

Id say fit was about 75%
Monday, April 15, 2013 8:35 AM
I made one.

You need 2 90* bends, 2 45* bends.

That's a good place to start anyways...its really not that bad, we built mine in about a night.

Monday, April 15, 2013 9:08 AM
Philly D wrote:I got the MES 2.5" kit and it wasnt bad and did include a flange to meet up with the cat.

That being said the hangers they included didnt make sense and I bought my own.

Id say fit was about 75%

I keep trying to kind this kit and this is what keeps coming up. marineexhaustsolutions.com

Is MES online lingo for "Magnaflow Exhaust System"?

'03 LS Sport 5spd, Amsoil fluids, Vibrant cat-back, 5% 3M color stable tint, Z24 trunk lid

Monday, April 15, 2013 2:08 PM
Monday, April 15, 2013 2:39 PM
When we built mine for the turbo this is what we used on mine.
Exhaust consists of the following:
2.5" full stainless exhaust
Stainless welds
2-45 bends
2-90 bends
2-180 bends
4-3 bolt flanges w/ copper gaskets

didnt have a lot letf over. I do have pictures somewhere if I dig them up...

Monday, April 15, 2013 2:50 PM

best i could do

A lot more complex....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Monday, April 15, 2013 2:56 PM

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 1:01 PM
GM_Mike wrote:http://www.mandrelexhaustsystems.com

Thanks man. I looked on there before but never put 2 and 2 together lol. I would like to do the 2.25" single with the Vibrant muffler. $370 shipped isn't bad at all for a T-304 mandrel system.

'03 LS Sport 5spd, Amsoil fluids, Vibrant cat-back, 5% 3M color stable tint, Z24 trunk lid

Saturday, April 20, 2013 1:11 PM
Those pics are extremely helpful! Thank you! More pictures of anyone's custom exhaust's is helpful too.

I'm going 3" aluminized on mine. Hopefully a cheap pipe expander from harbor freight can get them to slide into each other to weld.
Plan:
From 3 bolt flange @ cat.

Flange
Straight
45* into
45* into
90*
Straight
Hump the rear beam -- 45* up into a wide 90* back down then 45* back level (45* may be subbed with 2 60* instead - I'll have to use my old exhaust as a guide)
straight
muffler

The hump is going to be the toughest part, and if I can't figure that out first, then I'm just going to use the 2.5" magnaflow I have sitting around and just swap the muffler.

I roll on steelies. Work-in-progress daily-sleeper potential.
http://www.j-body.org/classifieds/engine/60493/
Sunday, April 21, 2013 6:30 AM
Id just buy the 3" MES system.....its cheap

My 2.5" was $360 shipped with muffler and tip.

Sunday, April 21, 2013 6:33 AM
I would not recommend the HF Pipe Expander. POS! Instead of expanding the pipe it just shattered into a million pieces. Just weld the joints together. Tack weld them, and then fully weld.

"You can only feed them semen for so long before their legs fall off."

Friday, July 26, 2013 12:32 PM
I have a 2002 2200sfi with a header and then 2 inch almost 3 inch pre-bent pipes all the way to the tip. I have both O2 censors in it and it does not throw codes on them. Its so loud . and not in a tangy way you can tell she has some balls.
Friday, July 26, 2013 2:55 PM
[quote=Evan O`Grady]I have a 2002 2200sfi with a header and then 2 inch almost 3 inch pre-bent pipes all the way to the tip. I have both O2 censors in it and it does not throw codes on them. Its so loud . and not in a tangy way you can tell she has some balls.

thanks for bumping a thread with absolutely no relevant information as per the original question.

and OHVs don't have balls.

Friday, July 26, 2013 3:09 PM
Hey man I just started on here today and I did do what subject asked bud and I didn't see that he asked what pipes and degree bends he might need. Calm down, and look at you talking crap about other people with cavaliers. Your retarded.
Friday, July 26, 2013 3:19 PM
I can at least read the dates on the threads

and no you didn't. OP asked what people used to fabricate their exhaust

you gave no information other than "derp I have an exhaust"

no one cares.

Friday, July 26, 2013 3:31 PM
Ya like I said in my other message, I answered his subject question and if you can't see that your dumb. Sorry everyone for doing that. But eric I'd be mad too if my cavi looked like your pos. What do u have done to it? Turbo or supercharged? And I told you todays my first day get over your self. Don't be jelous over my full exhaust system that makes ur eco sound like poop ;P
Friday, July 26, 2013 5:18 PM

3" sounds pretty good with a 4-1 header. will prolly sound even better once I finish the DP for the turbo.

shall we continue?

Friday, July 26, 2013 5:44 PM
Ya we shall, is this turbo all hooked up at this very moment? Or are you still working on that down pipe?
Friday, July 26, 2013 7:25 PM
Last I heard, he's trying to sell it to build an ls solstice. Try searching on youtube for the skwirl, or read his profile. He actually built a cavalier with an lsj and knows what he's talking about. Just trust me, he doesn't need the turbo to beat an ln2. And PJ, I'd love to hear the exhaust, the link was just to a picture, or at least on my computer.

Friday, July 26, 2013 8:23 PM
Just started and acts like he is top dog on the site. lol. Reminds me of JBI.

Saturday, July 27, 2013 8:59 AM
Top dog? If my car had a 3.8 turbo I'd feel a lil better but as for that, no. Just didn't like being harrassed by some lil fella that wouldent look at me twice in the flesh. And would be really pissed when my naturely asperated 2.2 slaps that ecotech ass. But I just here to learn and chat about my car. I just ended up here is all. Sorry fellas. Fu squirly
Saturday, July 27, 2013 12:00 PM
Yea, Newbies like you who act all high and mighty while having absolutely no clue what you are talking about or who you are talking about do not usually last long on here. Also the short stay is usually hell for them, but tons of fun for us.

You need to take your own advice and get over yourself. But if you dont want to that is fine. PJ and I will just keep waiting patiently while the hole you are digging keeps on getting bigger and deeper.

Saturday, July 27, 2013 5:52 PM
This is funny.

Saturday, July 27, 2013 6:13 PM
Learning new stuff everyday, I'm sorry that was my first day and someone got mad at me and we had a lil fight now that's over. And yes I will defend my rights anywheres I'm to anyone. Sorry for hurting anybodys feelings!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search