2.3 or 2.4? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.3 or 2.4?
Monday, April 15, 2013 7:56 PM
I have a 97 z24 and I was planning on swapping it 2 my 2000 sunfire but I can get a 2.3 which would be better 2 go with or would cross breeding them be even better?

Re: 2.3 or 2.4?
Monday, April 15, 2013 8:56 PM
depends on which 2.3 your talking about..there was like 4 different versions. The HO would be worth the swap, the LO would not.

Monday, April 15, 2013 9:48 PM
im going to say no...

Crossing the 1999 line usually involves lots of rewiring... you'll more than likely will need to bypass the BCM, and wire the cluster up to work without it...

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 4:06 AM
Kyle, no rewiring is required. Use all the 2000 electronics on the HO motor. You will need some special parts like a 95 alternator, and do something about the knock sensor. You'll also need much larger injectors. Stock HO are 310CC, and so are GM M45 supercharger injectors. You'll also need a custom header or modify the stock HO down pipe...a lot. There are a few posts on this subject, but tunning is the biggest think needed that most can not do on with a HO swap.

YOU WILL NEED TO TUNE YOUR CAR FOR THE HO MOTOR!!!

If you swap the 97 motor to the 00. USE EVERYTHING FROM THE 00, but the 97 long block. It will all bolt to the 97, and you will get rid of the EGR system. You'll have to do something about the knock sensor which I covered in the twin cam sticky.

Use the 00 starter, injectors, sensors, intake manifold, and the exhaust manifold. You want to use the 00 knock sensor. I'm sure I forgot something, but that should get you started.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, April 16, 2013 4:08 AM

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, April 16, 2013 6:09 AM
-MD- Enforcer wrote:Kyle, no rewiring is required. Use all the 2000 electronics on the HO motor. You will need some special parts like a 95 alternator, and do something about the knock sensor. You'll also need much larger injectors. Stock HO are 310CC, and so are GM M45 supercharger injectors. You'll also need a custom header or modify the stock HO down pipe...a lot. There are a few posts on this subject, but tunning is the biggest think needed that most can not do on with a HO swap.

If you swap the 97 motor to the 00. USE EVERYTHING FROM THE 00, but the 97 long block. It will all bolt to the 97, and you will get rid of the EGR system. You'll have to do something about the knock sensor which I covered in the twin cam sticky.

Use the 00 starter, injectors, sensors, intake manifold, and the exhaust manifold. You want to use the 00 knock sensor. I'm sure I forgot something, but that should get you started.

Someone's feeling generous

"In Oldskool we trust"
Tuesday, April 16, 2013 3:57 PM
-MD- Enforcer wrote:Kyle, no rewiring is required. Use all the 2000 electronics on the HO motor. You will need some special parts like a 95 alternator, and do something about the knock sensor. You'll also need much larger injectors. Stock HO are 310CC, and so are GM M45 supercharger injectors. You'll also need a custom header or modify the stock HO down pipe...a lot. There are a few posts on this subject, but tunning is the biggest think needed that most can not do on with a HO swap.

i forgot... you can HPTune the 2000 PCM for the HO motor...

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 7:25 PM
Thanks for the info I'll have 2 see what I can get my hands on my buddy has like 20 cars with 2.3's in em hopefully one will be an HO
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search