Exhaust question. - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Exhaust question.
Monday, April 22, 2013 6:10 AM
Hello, I am new to the forums here. I have a 2000 cavalier Z24 Coup. I was just curious how much performance the exhaust actually adds to the car. And if so whats the best for the LD9 , that doesn't sound like a fart can?

Thank you ,
Tcon

Re: Exhaust question.
Monday, April 22, 2013 8:44 PM
Back when I had my Civic, Even a single Magnaflow w/ header and full 2.25" exhaust. I needed to put another muffler on to act as a resonator. It definitely refined the exhaust note just enough to get it out of sounding like a total ricer. I remember accidentally setting off car alarms while climbing hills in downtown St.John's, NFLD before I installed my resonator.

The key to a mild performance street exhaust is brand new catalytic converter and/or straight-thru round muffler (like a glasspack, but chose wisely) in the longest length you can fit under your car (18-21" is probably the limit though0, then you can run whatever performance muffler that sounds good to you. This will cut pretty much all the rasp/cackle out of the exhaust without sacrificing the intended performance gain of a new exhaust.

I've found that a good quality catalytic converter can take the place of a resonator, but I always cut them out on my project vehicles because of age/mileage and would have needed replacing anyway. So take whatever route is most pleasing to you LOL.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
1995 Corsica and a bunch of trucks too...
Re: Exhaust question.
Tuesday, April 23, 2013 2:44 PM
Exhaust alone will not add that much. I've always thought Borla mufflers made a good sounding exhaust with minimal rice. That's what I'm using.

Do some searching on here and on you tube for some sound clips to kind if get a feel for diff exhaust sounds.

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search