Rear Strut Bar 95 cavalier? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Rear Strut Bar 95 cavalier?
Wednesday, April 24, 2013 7:17 AM
hey guys I got a front and rear strut bar brace for my 95 cavalier. Front went on np. The back one is a bit different. It looks like 2 out of the 3 bolts holding the struts have a welded nut to the sheet metal on the top side. My brace is made to be held on two nuts? Is there a way to get these nuts off or do I have to grind it off and use a new nut/bolt?

Thanks,
Kevin

Re: Rear Strut Bar 95 cavalier?
Wednesday, April 24, 2013 10:53 AM
why is the one so far down? did you loosen it? i am unsure on which two your bar is meant to attach to but ive always just put it on top of those and if there was a third mounting one, i used a spacer underneath to make up the difference on the one that has no welded nut.

M45/OS crank/2.4 snout. It's nice to be injected but I love being blown!
Wednesday, April 24, 2013 11:19 AM
yeah its loose. when you sit it ontop what do you use to hold it down
Wednesday, April 24, 2013 12:48 PM
I had a bunch of spare hex nuts laying around when I installed my bar, but any hardware store will have a nut the proper size. I believe its M7x1.25, but I cannot remember exactly since it was a long time ago that I was at the store looking for this size.

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Wednesday, April 24, 2013 1:02 PM
Thanks didnt really think of just sitting it ontop and adding another nut. Good idea
Wednesday, April 24, 2013 1:17 PM
I added extra nuts and I had to use a washer of six. lol

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, April 24, 2013 1:29 PM
What style bar you installing? Just a ebay special one

FuzzMASTA9
Wednesday, April 24, 2013 1:35 PM
y ep ebay special, 36$ for front and rear
Wednesday, April 24, 2013 1:43 PM
Yea I use to have them ones back in day, did same thing on rear bar as the others with washers under the one stud to kick it up level with the welded nuts and than used regular nuts on the bolts going upwards from inner wheel well. You will feel a difference even with them bars but for front a personally prefer the convertible front bar since tucks closer to firewall, on my old 98 constantly had to pull off front bar to work on engine with the ebay bar vs vert bar was out of the way, but for price there still nice

FuzzMASTA9
Wednesday, April 24, 2013 2:03 PM
Thanks for the info. This car has been turned into an oval racing car. Its all ready to go this strut bar was the last edition to the car Cant wait!

Here are a couple pics:

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 2:04 PM
On another note, My wiring is all taken out of the car with the exception of my speedo. It is fully working and used. How can I turn the backlights on for the speedo guages? Can I run power to one of the pins?

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 2:10 PM
on right side of gauges on top is a 2 wire plug i believe with whiite and black wires, if it has it that controls the power to just the backlights

FuzzMASTA9
Wednesday, April 24, 2013 7:19 PM
lol why not just weld a bar across the rear towers? surely with the roll cage its stiff as hell already...

M45/OS crank/2.4 snout. It's nice to be injected but I love being blown!
Thursday, April 25, 2013 6:30 AM
i could have just welded something in, but my welding is not very good. A friend helped me weld in the roll bar. The strut braces were 36$ for two. Tubing would almost cost me that lol
Thursday, April 25, 2013 6:31 AM
Pete P wrote:on right side of gauges on top is a 2 wire plug i believe with whiite and black wires, if it has it that controls the power to just the backlights

Thanks I will check this when I am at my garage next. I would be very happy
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search