Ecotec Balance shaft delete...1/2 homemade? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Ecotec Balance shaft delete...1/2 homemade?
Monday, May 06, 2013 5:27 PM
Im wanting to do the balance shaft delete on my turbo build. I just dont feel like paying the $150 to LZM for both parts. My question is, would there be any adverse affects if I cut the balance shafts myself? Since it's such a small mass, would there be any "balance" issues if they arent exactly the same and balanced?

Im going to buy the bushings from them, just dont wanna buy something I can do myself.

THoughts? Comments? COncerns?

"You can only feed them semen for so long before their legs fall off."

Re: Ecotec Balance shaft delete...1/2 homemade?
Monday, May 06, 2013 6:09 PM
Shouldnt be an issue..

Its exactly what im doing. I have a set of bushings here and going to make my own idlers.

I wouldnt just lop them off and call it a day though. Im going to cut mine off and then run them nice and flat on the lathe.

Or just contact mongorat off css.net. He has the delete parts for $25

http://www.cobaltss.net/forums/parts-66/mongos-spring-clean-out-sale-296676/
Monday, May 06, 2013 7:31 PM
You think just filing/sanding them down would be sufficient?

Monday, May 06, 2013 7:46 PM
I personally wouldnt...

It should be made true IMO. if its not true I can see the bearing failing sooner and with it already having a odd angle on it to begin with is not worth a failure to me.

I could very well be wrong though. But when it comes to building a motor whats it worth to ya?
Monday, May 06, 2013 10:22 PM
Philly D wrote:Or just contact mongorat off css.net. He has the delete parts for $25

http://www.cobaltss.net/forums/parts-66/mongos-spring-clean-out-sale-296676/

This.
I got mine off Jeff like 2 months ago. Can't beat the price and he's a good guy to business with.

Monday, May 06, 2013 10:32 PM
Though do remember the oil passage inside needs to be sealed off. LZM will sell just the sleeves that do so (like $70-80) or drill the block, plug the passages, then plug the block. There is a write up somewhere on CSS

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 5:15 PM
Philly D wrote:I personally wouldnt...

It should be made true IMO. if its not true I can see the bearing failing sooner and with it already having a odd angle on it to begin with is not worth a failure to me.

I could very well be wrong though. But when it comes to building a motor whats it worth to ya?

What odd angle?

And I already bought the sleeves from LZM. All that's left is the idlers

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 6:06 PM

The balance shaft is supported on both ends. You cut the shaft out and your putting a lateral force on the bearing that wasn't there to begin with.

Its marginal and has been done forever with no issues. But.....add a off balanced shaft in there and its going to have a slight vibration., and bearings don't like that.

For me if im building a motor and spending a couple thousand dollars I wouldn't cheap out.

Buy a set from mongo, or cut yours off and find a shop to quickly face them on the lathe for ya. Id hate to see something happen to your new motor. Nothing at all may happen but its not something thats worth risking.....whats $25
Tuesday, May 07, 2013 6:15 PM
I figured that's what you meant. Just wanted to make sure. Yeah, I guess ill just cut em and take them to my machine shop to be surfaced. Mongo is on vacation till the 20th and im too impatient. ha

Wednesday, May 08, 2013 11:50 AM
i can machine them for you. and make the rear block offs. Actually made a tool to install them too.

Wednesday, May 08, 2013 12:18 PM
Already ordered the Rear bushings....Sorry Jason.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search