Quick Question: No spark = bad for engine? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Quick Question: No spark = bad for engine?
Saturday, May 11, 2013 3:28 PM
Will running the car on 2 or 3 plugs be bad for the engine? Turbocharged - I'm talking about removing the boots on one or two of the cylinders. Never-mind the CSI cam signal. This is just a question no need to know the reason

<3

I roll on steelies. Work-in-progress daily-sleeper potential.
http://www.j-body.org/classifieds/engine/60493/

Re: Quick Question: No spark = bad for engine?
Saturday, May 11, 2013 3:35 PM
You will flood the cylinders with fuel and push fuel past the rings into the oil. Not to mention the stress you will put on the engine from running it on 2 cylinders.

Saturday, May 11, 2013 6:29 PM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:You will flood the cylinders with fuel and push fuel past the rings into the oil. Not to mention the stress you will put on the engine from running it on 2 cylinders.

basically, catastrophic. so, yes, its bad. not to mention melting your cat, any of your o2 sensors getting coated with some nice carbon and burning off any packing material in any of your muffling devices.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Saturday, May 11, 2013 11:39 PM
Driving on a loooooong road trip, I did something to my engine about 500 kms from home. Started getting a misfire on a cylinder (happened to have my scan tool with me)... knew something was wrong, but wasn't sure what at the time. In order to not do further damage, I disconnected the fuel injector and continued driving (albeit... a lot slower... limped the car home).

Found out a few months later, I'd chipped a piston... the piece must have closed the gap. I got home, pulled the plug, found the gap closed.. so I opened it up and put it back in. Drove it for a few months til it let go...
Tuesday, May 28, 2013 2:29 PM
Okay, so if the car is not running a cat, but is running a turbo and stock muffler that I'm not attached to whatsoever it may be possible.

The whole point of this is to be able to turn off a coil (put a switch on the Spark B signal from the ECU to the ICM) I guess sort-a 2-step it. Then divert the spark to a plug in my tail pipe...

I was also curious in case I ever run into a situation like John^ mentioned also.

I roll on steelies. Work-in-progress daily-sleeper potential.
http://www.j-body.org/classifieds/engine/60493/
Tuesday, May 28, 2013 3:03 PM
So youre making a flamethrower? Just make sure you change your oil more often. The fuel will wash down the cylinder walls and dilute your oil if you do it a lot.

Thursday, May 30, 2013 11:56 AM
Dude just buy a WOT/2-step box and do it properly.

My buddy throws flames all the time in his cav and its just all-motor.

You will explode a factory muffler trying to do either what your doing, or using a 2-step.

Chambered mufflers and explosions do not mix.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search