Assembly lube on bolts - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Assembly lube on bolts
Tuesday, May 14, 2013 4:32 PM
Do you guys use lube on bolts/studs when rebuilding your engines to get a proper torque reading? Would Red Line be fine on everything in the engine?

"You can only feed them semen for so long before their legs fall off."

Re: Assembly lube on bolts
Tuesday, May 14, 2013 6:53 PM
Ive been looking up this exact thing since im doing my timing stuff this weekend.

Assembly lube should be used yes. If it comes with the studs then use that kind. Also find yourself a torque angle gauge. Your going to need one.

The LSJ build book recommends Torco assembly lube. But from my reading its all the same in the long run.
Tuesday, May 14, 2013 7:34 PM
Also if you're being thorough about accurate torque readings chase all your threads with a tap. You'll be surprised how much debris comes out even after some time in the tank. It takes time but its worth it.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Tuesday, May 14, 2013 7:59 PM
ARP ultra-torque mainly used here on rod bolts, main bolts, and studs

http://arp-bolts.com/pages/arpultratorque.shtml
Thursday, May 16, 2013 7:12 AM
yeah taking the time to do the recommended torque settings will save a lot of hassel down the road.
i actually need to pick up a torque angle gauge myself, thanks for reminding me!
planning a head is the key here...im trying to gauge what all needs replaced and what i can reuse. anything TTY obviously needs replacement and writing down the torque specs ahead of time will make the installation smoother.

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Thursday, May 16, 2013 8:16 AM
you are seating them on balls right?

Thursday, May 16, 2013 6:43 PM
Y3llowCav wrote:Also if you're being thorough about accurate torque readings chase all your threads with a tap. You'll be surprised how much debris comes out even after some time in the tank. It takes time but its worth it.

This x100. Debris in the threads will mess up your torque more than leaving them dry.

I've always heard of using straight 30W motor oil for normal bolts and ARPs assembly lubes for their bolts.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search