yes or no bolt on mods - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
yes or no bolt on mods
Sunday, May 19, 2013 3:28 PM
so i've posted about a couple of mods last week.. i just want to get a straight yes or no answer on some of the mods i'm going to list. if moneys not a problem whats a good choice?
lightweight flywheel, lightweight underdrive pulley, balance shaft delete and a LE5 Manifold with out a tune or injectors. i don't have the kind of money for a supercharger. turbo is for imports (in my opinion) maybe it the future. i know none of these will give me big hp gains. does anyone have any suggestions that wont cost me a paycheck?

Re: yes or no bolt on mods
Sunday, May 19, 2013 5:33 PM
it all depends on what your goals are and what you plan to use the car for. i wouldnt use the LE5 mani if you dont plan to use at least lsj injectors and tuning it. balance shaft delete wouldnt be considered a "bolt-on"

Sunday, May 19, 2013 7:15 PM
i'm not looking to build a 12 sec car just a little more power then stock. i would love to do a supercharger but 3 to 5000 to do it properly just isn't in the budget right now. i would like to get it in to the mid to high 14s for power. not a drag car just a daily driver with decent power. i don't think i have to do major upgrades to get there.... do i? .
Monday, May 20, 2013 3:42 AM
Eric someguy wrote:i would love to do a supercharger but 3 to 5000 to do it properly just isn't in the budget right now.

Where did you get that figure? A good used M62 kit will run you $2k at the most and that should include some nice upgrades too.

Monday, May 20, 2013 4:53 AM
Tinkles(KGM) wrote:
Eric someguy wrote:i would love to do a supercharger but 3 to 5000 to do it properly just isn't in the budget right now.

Where did you get that figure? A good used M62 kit will run you $2k at the most and that should include some nice upgrades too.

this

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Monday, May 20, 2013 9:07 AM
Eric someguy wrote:turbo is for imports (in my opinion)

You lost me after you said this....

Monday, May 20, 2013 9:51 AM
i'm canadian so thats where those number cam from. there just not sell anything new or that i can piece together or have cost me over a 1000 to ship. as for turbo like i said its just my opinion. i'm not saying that no one should turbo a domestic. i know the pros and cos to both of them. just if i had a choice i would supercharge.
Monday, May 20, 2013 10:04 AM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:
Eric someguy wrote:turbo is for imports (in my opinion)

You lost me after you said this....

X2 may cost a little bit more but if your efficient there will be next to no (lag)
I'd rather be exhaust driven with a 4banger then put more strain on my motor with a charger

I'd say don't do the le5 unless you plan on doing injectors and tunning and instead get poly mounts trany and motor
Monday, May 20, 2013 10:49 AM
so le5 no point unless i get a tune and or injectors got it. i have poly mounts in now. i have almost no wheel hop thats good but thats the only thing i've noticed. if people are wondering i do have a short ram intake and full exhaust 2.25 from the header high flow cat.
Tuesday, May 21, 2013 10:28 PM
Eric someguy wrote:so i've posted about a couple of mods last week.. i just want to get a straight yes or no answer on some of the mods i'm going to list. if moneys not a problem whats a good choice?
lightweight flywheel, lightweight underdrive pulley, balance shaft delete and a LE5 Manifold with out a tune or injectors. i don't have the kind of money for a supercharger. turbo is for imports (in my opinion) maybe it the future. i know none of these will give me big hp gains. does anyone have any suggestions that wont cost me a paycheck?

sounds to me like you need to just stick to basic bolt ons.
build it slowly over a year or two to sort of 'prep' for a s/c set up. improve on everything GM cheaped out on since they weren't built for the track or high performance.
get a header, full exhaust, quality intake set up, start putting money into fine tuning your suspension (poly bushings, sway bars, strut bars, etc), lightweight wheels, good tires, short shifter, etc.
Once you've gotten all the supporting mods done you'll have spent a lot more than you expected initially. But it'll be ready for some boost when the car can handle it adequately.

I properly, fully bolted L61 cav/sunfire will handle and run well. boost is a whole new level and if you're not willing to spend a few $k, it wont be a quality build and you'll be in worse shape than if you just kept it stock.

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Wednesday, May 22, 2013 11:13 AM
Eric someguy wrote:so le5 no point unless i get a tune and or injectors got it. i have poly mounts in now. i have almost no wheel hop thats good but thats the only thing i've noticed. if people are wondering i do have a short ram intake and full exhaust 2.25 from the header high flow cat.

1 question why not tune?

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 10:22 PM
i've had a couple buddys get there cars tuned and cost them over 1000 to have it done. if i'm going to get my car tuned i kinda want to do a little more then an intake and injectors. i really don't know a whole lot about tuning just that it sounds expensive.
Thursday, May 23, 2013 8:23 AM
Basically with the J platform all the bolt ons in the world wont make much of a difference unless you tune. Might see a tiny bit from each one. with all the boltons you can find, cams and valve springs, injectors, LE5 manifold, and a good tune, you could be seeing low 14s. Thats pretty respectable for a daily driver.

Friday, May 24, 2013 2:36 PM
^ this

My sudgestion start reading up on tuning its not as hard as it sounds Easier to learn n/a vs boosted
Tuning unlocks the true performance you will see from all your bolt ons.
Like how z's z said you may feel a little power but you won't be fully happy
Friday, May 24, 2013 3:11 PM
This thread inspired me to do a little write-up:

Click me.

Saturday, May 25, 2013 7:40 PM
so you guy have got me on the tuning thing. i found a shop near me that has experience tuning our cars. they charge 90 an hour. my question is how long approx. would it take them to tune my car if i were to do the le5 intake and injectors with my other bolt on? 5 hours 10 maybe? i looked in to doing cams but to upgrade the valve springs is more then the cams so i think i'm going to hold of on those for a little while.
Saturday, May 25, 2013 10:40 PM
Eric someguy wrote:so you guy have got me on the tuning thing. i found a shop near me that has experience tuning our cars. they charge 90 an hour. my question is how long approx. would it take them to tune my car if i were to do the le5 intake and injectors with my other bolt on? 5 hours 10 maybe? i looked in to doing cams but to upgrade the valve springs is more then the cams so i think i'm going to hold of on those for a little while.
5-10 hours to tune a jbody for intake and injectors??? Dear lord I hope not... Tuning my turbo ecotec took under an hour.... if tuning an n/a intake, injector car takes that shop that long... id look for another shop.

Sunday, May 26, 2013 5:06 AM
not saying that it will take them that long. just want to have an idea on the time it normally take for what i'm planing to do. and with injectors will my car run with them in without a tune so i can drive the car down to the shop? or do i have to get it towed?
Sunday, May 26, 2013 6:18 AM
I personally don't think you will gain much over what you have now with intake and injectors and tune... without some form of a power adder your butt dyno might feel an improvement but thats about it... our cars aren't like a subaru where if you add an intake you need to tune. you swap from a diverter valve to a blow off valve and need to re tune.

but if you MUST get it tuned... why not drive to the shop, spend 10 minutes to unbolt your fuel rail, swap injectors and then be good to go.

Sunday, May 26, 2013 6:19 AM
Should only take them a few hours max to tune. Like everyone else has said it's a must to get your moneys worth out of all the parts you install. You could get it towed but swapping out injectors is pretty quick. You could literally do it in the parking lot by simply removing the two 13mm bolts that hold the rail on. Maybe remove the 10mm nut on the first mounting stud on the valve cover to give you more play in the lines.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Monday, May 27, 2013 5:44 PM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:I personally don't think you will gain much over what you have now with intake and injectors and tune... without some form of a power adder your butt dyno might feel an improvement but thats about it... our cars aren't like a subaru where if you add an intake you need to tune. you swap from a diverter valve to a blow off valve and need to re tune.

but if you MUST get it tuned... why not drive to the shop, spend 10 minutes to unbolt your fuel rail, swap injectors and then be good to go.

Disagree. I rode in Satch back when it was a stock 2200 with a tune. It was a night and day difference from my stock 2200 with a tune. Not fast by any means but it definitely ran and shifted a lot better.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search