LSJ vs L61 head PICTURES - Page 4 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: LSJ vs L61 head PICTURES
Saturday, May 25, 2013 4:05 PM
Wouldn't modding the thermo housing be best for Derek? That way he doesn't have to drill the block and clean all the shavings out. At least that's what I would do if I wasn't trying to take the motor apart.

"In Oldskool we trust"

Saturday, May 25, 2013 7:22 PM
Y3llowCav wrote:Wouldn't modding the thermo housing be best for Derek? That way he doesn't have to drill the block and clean all the shavings out. At least that's what I would do if I wasn't trying to take the motor apart.

the adapter bolts on to the block. no drilling, no modding, no tapping of anything.

Sunday, May 26, 2013 5:22 AM
The adapter PJ has is a nice piece, and like said, bolts right on. I had looked at it, and considered using that when I swapped, had I not already hit my budget and started to think how sick I am of dumping money into this car, haha (and as I type this I'm spending more money on this car!)

Sunday, May 26, 2013 6:09 AM
EVILution (KGMs FrankenCav) wrote:The adapter PJ has is a nice piece, and like said, bolts right on. I had looked at it, and considered using that when I swapped, had I not already hit my budget and started to think how sick I am of dumping money into this car, haha (and as I type this I'm spending more money on this car!)

haha it never ends buddy. Anyway if that's the case with the adapter its definitely the way to go.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Sunday, May 26, 2013 7:44 PM
these cars, all cars, are a plague. but its okay, its worth every penny when im blowing past V8's in an econobox getting 30mpg lol. (keep in mind, I like V8's too lol).
and anything that bolts on and go's is always a good thing! I don't mind custom work, but unnecessary work is welcome.

the LSJ is inching closer to a deal..time will tell.

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Wednesday, May 29, 2013 12:29 PM
what about an 05 Saab 9.3 LK9 motor? can get one rebuilt for a decent price.. gonna research this one too unless someone says its a definite no go (i wanna stay supercharged)

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 1:38 PM
The Saab lk9 is the same motor as the lsj, its what I have in my car. Only difference is you need to plug a hole in the rear of the girdle where the turbo oil drain was attached, and tap the head's intake surface for m8 bolts. Other than that, same motor (with the exceptionof slightly more aaggressive cams).

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 1:48 PM
EVILution (KGMs FrankenCav) wrote:(with the exceptionof slightly more aaggressive cams).

Interesting...didn't know that. Im sure its not a crazy difference but still.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, May 29, 2013 2:09 PM
I removed the sleeve, and tapped the holes on my motor utilizing the existing hole size so there was no need to drill, minimizing the shavings produced since I didn't have the motor torn apart when I did it.

Since the material is aluminum the hole sizes were slightly off the recommended drill size for the tap.....but still tapped no problem.

If anyone is interested, the big hole was tapped #10BSP and the small hole was tapped 1/4"NPT.

Heads up a #10BSP tap will run you around $100 bucks, luckly my buddy borrowed one from work for me to use.

As for removing the sleeve, I tapped the inside of and left the tap in it, put a set of vice grips on it, heated lightly around the sleeve, wacked the vice grips with a hammer and it popped right out.

Its held on with an o-ring so it doesnt take much to pop it out.

Hope that helps anyone considering to do it that way.

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 3:03 PM
Y3llowCav wrote:
EVILution (KGMs FrankenCav) wrote:(with the exceptionof slightly more aaggressive cams).

Interesting...didn't know that. Im sure its not a crazy difference but still.

Nothing major..I believe they are just a little higher duration. Nothing to write home about though

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 3:45 PM
all good to know!
Im still waiting on the LSJ guy to get back to me, so far that's a go. But as with anything else with my luck, if it looks like a good thing it'll be crushed by a bad thing..so Im going to say at this point..meh. (trying reverse psych here...lol)

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 5:13 PM
Could you use ``T`` fittings on the lines coming out of the L61 housing that are going to the heater core and run those to the LSJ cooler or will it cause problems?
Wednesday, May 29, 2013 10:26 PM
SilvrSunfir wrote:Could you use ``T`` fittings on the lines coming out of the L61 housing that are going to the heater core and run those to the LSJ cooler or will it cause problems?

You could, that was my original thought. Problem is, you still have to cut the inlet neck of the housing to clear the oil cooler. The L61 pipe runs down the side of the head right where the back of the oil cooler sits, whereas the lsj/lk9/le5 has the rad hose run right to the housing at the back of the motor.

Hopefully I'll have a chance to pic up my modified housing from the shop in the next few days so everyone can see how it was done.

Thursday, May 30, 2013 11:42 AM
*side note
was going through PJ's entire skwirl build...kinda makes me want to tear my car apart and not rush to get it back on the road O.o ....but Im tired of driving my truck so I want my cav back on the streets causing hell lol
still that is mad props to you PJ, its amazing what someone can accomplish if they mix a little bit of know how and passion into a project.

Thursday, May 30, 2013 4:07 PM
blu04DD wrote:*side note
was going through PJ's entire skwirl build...kinda makes me want to tear my car apart and not rush to get it back on the road O.o ....but Im tired of driving my truck so I want my cav back on the streets causing hell lol
still that is mad props to you PJ, its amazing what someone can accomplish if they mix a little bit of know how and passion into a project.

yea, it's a shame that car is collecting rust.

I pilaged almost everything from the skwirl to build HavBlue.
But I used a lot of what I learned with skwirl to build HavBlue at a much faster pace... even tho it took me a few months (mostly monetary concerns)

I have a few ideas for the skwirl... still not sure which one of them is going to be done. She's third in line for a re-do

Thursday, May 30, 2013 4:07 PM
Picked up my modded thermo housing today, figured I'd share here in addition to my thread since the oil cooler/thermo housing topic was discussed here.

I lobbed off the corner of the housing where it would hit the shift cable bracket, and had a piece of tube cut and welded in it's place. Still plenty of room inside so it shouldn't effect flow at all.

Thursday, May 30, 2013 8:14 PM
me likey!

Friday, May 31, 2013 8:43 PM
How fast can you ship it to Canada? lol I`ll mate up the block and trans and do the same thing, It wont look as hacked up as T fittings and the rad hose thing.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search